Subwoofer Amp Issue

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
natevaz22

Subwoofer Amp Issue

Post by natevaz22 »

I am running 2 12's which are Kicker CVR's and a Alpine mono 500.1 amp and been running this for a bout 2 months and starting yesterday my amp started shutting off for hours at a time and then the amp gets no power but when ever it does it plays like a song with a little bit of volume then the amp shuts off again! any solutions or recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks -Nate :D
JoeyD1005

Re: Subwoofer Amp Issue

Post by JoeyD1005 »

natevaz22 wrote:I am running 2 12's which are Kicker CVR's and a Alpine mono 500.1 amp and been running this for a bout 2 months and starting yesterday my amp started shutting off for hours at a time and then the amp gets no power but when ever it does it plays like a song with a little bit of volume then the amp shuts off again! any solutions or recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks -Nate :D
A few things,
If you're running CVR's I believe those are going to each want 500W RMS power. I don't know for sure what the RMS power of your amp is but assuming that you're going to be running both subs through one channel of an amp, depending on the resistence load of your speakers, your ohms might be cut in half, thus resulting in some possible errors in power calculation. Again, seeing as just one of your subs is going to potentially be maxing out your Amp assuming that it's a true 500w RMS/1, your amp is most likely overloaded. I wouldn't recommend continuing to try to keep running both subs due to this fact as you might even risk damaging your speakers if they're underpowered. If you are going to be running these subs for certain, I would recommend buying either another amp, or a monster 2 channel. In that case, try getting one that is going to put out a lot of power across the two channels and be able to give you some extra head room which will really help your subs out as well as audio quality.

Also, because your amp is shutting off the way it is, I would check to see A) If your amp is overheating due to the power strain. B) Check wiring, make sure you're not shorting on anything C) Check/replace fuses, it could be a faulty fuse.

Just my $.02
-Joe
natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

JoeyD1005 wrote:
natevaz22 wrote:I am running 2 12's which are Kicker CVR's and a Alpine mono 500.1 amp and been running this for a bout 2 months and starting yesterday my amp started shutting off for hours at a time and then the amp gets no power but when ever it does it plays like a song with a little bit of volume then the amp shuts off again! any solutions or recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks -Nate :D
A few things,
If you're running CVR's I believe those are going to each want 500W RMS power. I don't know for sure what the RMS power of your amp is but assuming that you're going to be running both subs through one channel of an amp, depending on the resistence load of your speakers, your ohms might be cut in half, thus resulting in some possible errors in power calculation. Again, seeing as just one of your subs is going to potentially be maxing out your Amp assuming that it's a true 500w RMS/1, your amp is most likely overloaded. I wouldn't recommend continuing to try to keep running both subs due to this fact as you might even risk damaging your speakers if they're underpowered. If you are going to be running these subs for certain, I would recommend buying either another amp, or a monster 2 channel. In that case, try getting one that is going to put out a lot of power across the two channels and be able to give you some extra head room which will really help your subs out as well as audio quality.

Also, because your amp is shutting off the way it is, I would check to see A) If your amp is overheating due to the power strain. B) Check wiring, make sure you're not shorting on anything C) Check/replace fuses, it could be a faulty fuse.

Just my $.02
-Joe

I found the problem! there was a problem with one of the wires connecting to the amp but i couldnt see it because i had electrical tape over it :lol: :lol:
JoeyD1005

Post by JoeyD1005 »

that would do it! hahaha, glad you got it sorted mate.