I'm looking for a good and cheap Stereo/mp3/usb

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Chiadog

I'm looking for a good and cheap Stereo/mp3/usb

Post by Chiadog »

Little help?
I'm looking to replace the oem radio in my 05 base Vibe. I looked under the passenger seat and there is no amp there. Not sure how that affects which stereo radio I need to buy, but I intend to use only the existing stock speakers. I want the new unit to have AM/FM/MP3/USB. I don't want bluetooth or Sirius radio.
I think I'll also need a wiring adapter and antenna adapter, yes?
This is the radio I am considering:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio ... Mgod-HMAOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does anyone have any experience with this radio or others?
Thanks,
chiadog
REN69

Re: I'm looking for a good and cheap Stereo/mp3/usb

Post by REN69 »

apparently not having the amp makes it easier to upgrade... I would at least opt for a radio one step up from this one, at least then you could get USB and Bluetooth capabilities.

Usually Pioneer decks are decent, stay away from cheap brands like Jensen, Dual, etc...

Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, Clarion, etc... are usually good, just vary on their user interface and ease of use.
1984 Supra RWD - my beater -- 2004 Vibe AWD - wife's beater -- 2005 Corolla XRS - my daily
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I have some Sony stereo now that I replaced the Clarion stereo with.
I think the Sony was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT240-Pla ... 002OPWC5K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; didn't pick many features because all I wanted was the auxiliary port and a clock.

And I think the Clarion was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CZ300--Da ... 0032FOJGQ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think we paid $50 for the Clarion (on sale on newegg at the time) and $50-60 on the Sony.

The Clarion had an "screensaver" that did not involve a clock, which really miffed me when I couldn't find a way to force it to stop showing the screensaver. My BF also said that the Sony has better sound quality for some reason, but I honestly can't tell. I'm just so pleased with how well the Sony stereo works, and did I mention it displays the clock?

HOWEVER, you could probably get more bang for your buck from Pioneer. I picked the Sony because its colors matched better, not to mention that I've had good luck with Sony electronics durability.

You'll need a wiring harness for the stereo. I don't remember about the radio antenna, though; the stations around here are pretty awful so I'm not sure if mine is even hooked up at all.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Thanks for the input, Guys!
Do I need Bluetooth? Is it just for using a cell phone? I rarely use the phone in the car, is Bluetooth a plus for re-sale some day?
Thanks again,
chiadog
REN69

Post by REN69 »

yeah it seems to be big salepoint these days, though any car guy would probably go out and buy their own stereo and upgrade either way.
1984 Supra RWD - my beater -- 2004 Vibe AWD - wife's beater -- 2005 Corolla XRS - my daily
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Thanks Ren,
I'll keep this in mind when the weather warms enough for me to choose a radio and mess with the install.
chiadog
Kapral83

Post by Kapral83 »

I didn't begin to change a radio tape recorder, and simply to me friends remade radio FM range on Russian and established in addition 2 pieces of USB and the mini USB, now what music I will thrust from the computer that and I listen)))) I don't know correctly the translator translates or not, excuse for mistakes, the photo is applied
Attachments
CIMG1200.JPG
CIMG1200.JPG (45.49 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
IMAG0650.jpg
IMAG0650.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
IMAG0647.jpg
IMAG0647.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Hi Kapral,
Very nice job on the USB conversion! I have never seen this before. My factory radio doesn't have a tape player, so I don't think this would work for me.
Welcome to the group and thanks for posting!
chiadog