Remote FOB compatibility

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
frankiemenz

Remote FOB compatibility

Post by frankiemenz »

Hi has anyone tried to program an older vibe remote to a newer generation vibe, ie a 2008 remote to a 2010 vibe? The 2010's remote and key combo tends to be a bit bulky and can stab your leg and cause discomfort at times. I am aware of the FCC #'s being different, just wondered if any options were available, then I could have a normal key cut and carry the remote and key like the older vibes, mine doesn't have an immobilizer, I know that will be the next topic for discussion lol.
trb

Re: Remote FOB compatibility

Post by trb »

Someone on here had a regular key cut and removed the key from one of the new fobs, basically creating the same thing, a separate key and fob. That is probably the easiest solution.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I use a regular steel key and use the fob that came with my remote start. You could cut the factory key and use a steel key like mentioned above.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
frankiemenz

Post by frankiemenz »

Thanks for the suggestions on the key, I tried going to a local Home Depot to get a key cut. The guy insists he didn't have a key to match it. Do you remember where you got your steel key(s) made?? I am going to try that route
trb

Post by trb »

You might want to try a real locksmith instead of just anybody at the big box store. It is just a basic Toyota key. My locksmith cut me an extra before i ordered another key with the fob on ebay. The bare key only cost me $1.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I have never had any luck on keys from big box stores, they usually never work even if they have the blank.

Go to a local hardware store or locksmith.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
frankiemenz

Post by frankiemenz »

Thanks for the replies, I will go to a seasoned locksmith and get some keys made. I know sometimes anything other than a direct replacement type item puts the box stores into a tailspin lol.