Alternator died

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BlueCrush

Alternator died

Post by BlueCrush »

My alternator took a dump on Friday. Having a new one installed today. Could have and actually have done it myself in the past, but didn't have the time or patience to deal with it right now. So, I will be paying $200+ to get a new one installed. :roll:
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Re: Alternator died

Post by BlueCrush »

They replaced the alternator. Charged the battery. Battery was too far gone, the replaced it for free under warranty. Still having issues. They are keeping the car overnight and getting another alternator and swapping it out again. We'll see what happens next...
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

The second alternator worked. Total damage = $326. Got a new battery (2 year free replacment warranty and 75 month prorated warranty), alternator (12 month warranty parts & labor). So, the cost seemed fairly worth it for me to have them do it. Hopefully, I have no starting issues this winter!
Last edited by BlueCrush on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I thought you were getting new car? A non-boosted AWD is non-fun. You still hve the Cai/Sri and the exhaust on it?
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Salsa Guy wrote:I thought you were getting new car? A non-boosted AWD is non-fun. You still hve the Cai/Sri and the exhaust on it?
I am looking for the right vehicle at the right price. I have time and patience to wait for that. My non-fun AWD vibe has the stock airbox, but still has the custom exhaust. That is on it's way out soon though, due to rust and holes in multiple locations thruout the piping.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea those poor cars up north take a real beating. I have a CAT Back stock exhaust if you need it....and guess what it's for a 4WD matrix. You think it will fit the AWD Vibe....LOL. You defunct, wrong badged, only decent car GM could make because it's Toyota, car driver. JK my friend. But my offer on the exhaust stands.

BTW I installed the SC Pulley and it does't make the car not so much quick but the power is smoooother.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
msu90

Post by msu90 »

BlueCrush wrote:The second alternator worked. Total damage = $326. Got a new battery (2 year free replacment warranty and 75 month prorated warranty), alternator (12 month warranty parts & labor). So, the cost seemed fairly worth it for me to have them do it. Hopefully, I have no starting issues this winter!
Just saw this post and wanted to ask what mileage was your car at when you had to get the alternator? How many batteries have you had to replace before the alternator? TIA.