Power windows and sunroof not working

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BigHoss

Power windows and sunroof not working

Post by BigHoss »

Hi all! Just looking for a little help. As I returned home yesterday from golfing only to find the door panel from our 2003 Vibe next to the car. It seems my wife decided to go ahead and replace the front drivers side speaker that was not working and you might want to say got a little stuck during the process. Needless to say now the windows are not working or the sunroof for that matter. Found the 10amp fuse under the dash and that was fine. It seems everything works on the car but the windows. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
joatmon

Re: Power windows and sunroof not working

Post by joatmon »

That under dash fuse block has a 30 amp POWER fuse that provides the main power for both the power windows and the moon roof. There is another 30A fuse next to it for the rear window defogger, if you are reasonably sure nothing is still shorted out, then you could swap the two to see if the windows start working again
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU joatmon...... it was the 30amp. You are a lifesaver! :D
taheny99

Post by taheny99 »

Hey guys. I was having this same problem. That 30amp fuse is in the most inconvenient spot. I just spent about 45 mins in an auto zone parking lot trying to fix it. I finally got it replaced, turned on my car and made sure they were working, as I close my door to bring some pliers back in I hear a loud spark/pop and they weren’t working anymore. Thank god i had rolled my windows back up. Anyway, I’m extremely mad that I just threw 6 dollars in the trash and I don’t know what to do next. Can anyone give me some guidance?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Sounds like an obvious direct short. Only way to find it really is by trial and error. Good luck.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

use your old blown fuse, solder two wires to it, extend it out and wire it to a standard tail lamp bulb. As long as the short to ground is grounded, the bulb will be lit, if it breaks, the bulb goes out. Now watch the bulb and go around the car knocking and wiggling things until you find the thing that makes the light flicker.