Question about factory alarm/keyless

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
VibeOnAWhim

Question about factory alarm/keyless

Post by VibeOnAWhim »

2009 base 2.4l 5-speed.

When I lock, or unlock the vehicle, should there be a honk or beep? This is the first car with keyless/factory alarm that locks silently. All I get are the parking lights flashing.

Just curious if this is the way it was designed or if someone disabled the audible lock/unlock and if disabled, how can I turn it back on.
vibenvy

Re: Question about factory alarm/keyless

Post by vibenvy »

The front and rear marker lights flash, there is no beep or any other sound. I wish there was so I didn't have to turn around and look to make sure the lights flash, although if I'm close enough to the Vibe, I can hear the sound of the locks locking or unlocking, but a beep or something would definitely be nice.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
VibeOnAWhim

Post by VibeOnAWhim »

My thoughts as well. I could even deal with the toyota beep.

My pt used to honk the horn at half volume at lock. Oh well. At least I know nothing is wrong.
Last edited by VibeOnAWhim on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

VibeOnAWhim wrote:At least I know nothing is wrong.
Yep, totally normal ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I'm sure there is a way to interface the horn with the flashing of the lights when locking/unlocking the car. If I have the time (I'm dreaming again) over the winter I'll look into this possibility. Once discovering it I'm sure the actual work would not be that difficult :?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
weirdly

Post by weirdly »

Anyone finally figure out how to make the horn honk or something "chirp" when the doors are locked yet?

Thanks.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

weirdly wrote:Anyone finally figure out how to make the horn honk or something "chirp" when the doors are locked yet?

Thanks.

At one point genviber GMJAP figured it out, using some circuitry he designed, and he was selling kits to do the mod. The mod was only tested on the 03-08 Vibes, and its been four years since he ran out of kits, but it could be done. I am not sure quite how, There is some info in forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16535
Vibe_of_the_thing

Post by Vibe_of_the_thing »

So this is interesting--I see another thread where they discussed the fact that 03 cars should not make a noise when locking/unlocking. Mine does and I bought it as a CPO in 2005. It has always given one honk for locking and two for unlocking (except occasionally I think I hit the right combo of buttons accidentally and turn that off). It's an M&T GT.