Disabling the DRL on 09 Vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Infinity-x

Disabling the DRL on 09 Vibe

Post by Infinity-x »

I have read that in order to do this, you need to cut the blue wire on the largest white piece/board which is located under the glove compartment. Can anyone confirm this? More specifically, any 09 Vibe owners disable their DRLs here? Care to share how you did it? I assume I need to cut the blue wire but I wan't to make sure it is the right one. Is it really under the glove box? Please let me know, the DRL on my car is really killing the look of my LED turn signals & fog lamps.
j42.snyder

Re: Disabling the DRL on 09 Vibe

Post by j42.snyder »

Read through this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I have done this on both of our Vibes, along with the independent fog light mod. I snipped the small blue wire (shown in the picture below) which disabled the AHLs (Automatic Headlights) AND the DRLs (Daytime Running Lights).

Let me know if you need/want any more pictures.
How to disable the AHLs & DRLs wrote:Just remove the glove box completely to make it easy. There are 3 white plugins behind the glove box, the bigger and farther to the right is the DRL plugin. The #12 pin that you're looking for is located directly under 2 bigger wires, one is brown and the other white and the 09 models changed the wire color, you are looking for a small blue wire. You can either cut the blue wire or have a service tech remove it from the plug, takes a tool to do it, but at least you can put it back in if you trade the vehicle etc. Either way make sure to tape the ends of the wire.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

THank you both for the replies, and the helpful picture! I did get the DRLs disabled, and let me tell you - I love being able to control my headlights now! However, when I plan to sell the car, I think I will re-wire it so the DRLs come back on.

THanks again
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Infinity-x wrote:THank you both for the replies, and the helpful picture! I did get the DRLs disabled, and let me tell you - I love being able to control my headlights now! However, when I plan to sell the car, I think I will re-wire it so the DRLs come back on.

THanks again
You're very welcome ;)!

I absolutely love having full control over all the lights. It's so nice being able to cruise with just the parking lights, parking lights and fog lights and best of all... having the fog lights stay on with the high beams :D!
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

vibenvy wrote:I absolutely love having full control over all the lights. It's so nice being able to cruise with just the parking lights, parking lights and fog lights and best of all... having the fog lights stay on with the high beams :D!
Hello Vibenvy and everyone else! Vibenvy, I tried sending you a PM (2 actually) and I don't know if they got sent because the 2 messages got stuck in the OUTBOX folder instead of going into my SENT MESSAGES folder... So I will post my question here, for you or anyone else to try to help me!

I was seeking info on the DRL/AHL disabling mod and also the FOG mods available on GENVIBE for the VIBE 2009.

I finally gathered most of the info I needed, but I wanted to confirm them with you, since you did it too on your Vibes (yours are 2009s?) and seems to work like I would like them to work on MY Vibe.

First, on the DRL module located behind the glovebox compartment, the easy part is to cut the BLUE wire at PIN #12 to disable the DRL and Automatic Headlights. Right?

Then, the fog lights switch wire is the WHITE wire at PIN #2. Right?
Can you tell me what you did to it exactly? Did you just simply snip it or did you paired it to another existing wire?

You said you could have those 3 behaviors that I also would like my Vibe to do:
-Parking Lights alone (NO Daytime Running Lights)
-Parking Lights (NO DRL) and Fog Lights ON.
-HIGH BEAMS and Fog Lights ON.

For the fog lights, I know it has something to do with the white wire at PIN #2, but I don't know for sure what you did with it, and what mod tutorial you used on GenVibe to accomplish this.

I really really thank you for any help you or anyone may provide!!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

alex_nrv wrote:Hello Vibenvy and everyone else! Vibenvy, I tried sending you a PM (2 actually) and I don't know if they got sent because the 2 messages got stuck in the OUTBOX folder instead of going into my SENT MESSAGES folder... So I will post my question here, for you or anyone else to try to help me!
One message came through fine and the other said you had deleted it before sending it or something.

Let me know if you have any further questions ;).
NoRemorse249

Post by NoRemorse249 »

how about on the 05 vibe base?
05 vibe base, 1.8L DOHC
bigdaddyjosh

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

Dont you get a discount on your insurance for HAVING daytime running lights? I know my provider gives like a 5% discount on my premium for having them. Might wanna look into that. I would hate for them to find out you disabled the lights, especially if you were involved in an accident.
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH HU Polk Audio DB-6501 Components Pioneer GM-6400F Amplifier K&N drop-in filter Fiberglass Sub box w/10" Cerwin Vega
caincj

Post by caincj »

Question on my 2009 vibe the automatic headlights come ever time I put it into gear tried unplugging sensor and the wire cut. They still come on. Weird anybody have any suggestions?
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

caincj wrote:Question on my 2009 vibe the automatic headlights come ever time I put it into gear tried unplugging sensor and the wire cut. They still come on. Weird anybody have any suggestions?
HEADLIGHTS -or- DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS? These 2 are different. When you unplug the sensor or cut the wire, all you achieve is disabling the automatic HEADLIGHTS. But as soon you remove the parking brake/put in DRIVE, the DAYLIGHTS will turn on. The Daylights are using the same bulbs as the HIGH BEAMS (the 2 inner ones), but at a much lower output. The daylights are way too weak to drive at night. The Headlights are bright and using the 2 outside bulbs, near the flashers.

If you ever want to completely disable ANY lights when you drive, you have to do the "DRL disabling mod". I don't exactly remember how to do it. I found it somewhere on these forums, and I think I wrote it down in a file somewhere in my computer, but I would have to browse to tell you.

Meanwhile, maybe someone will be able to point or tell how to do this mod.

Hope this helps, for now!

-Alex
Last edited by alex_nrv on Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoRemorse249

Post by NoRemorse249 »

I want to do this mod on my 05 base but have yet to find a guide on how to do so for this car. I want full control of my headlights and foglights. Can someone tell me how???
05 vibe base, 1.8L DOHC
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

NoRemorse249 wrote:I want to do this mod on my 05 base but have yet to find a guide on how to do so for this car. I want full control of my headlights and foglights. Can someone tell me how???
This thread should give you all the info you need ;).
Fizgig

Post by Fizgig »

So, we disabled the DRL using the instructions in this thread. We DID add a "reversal" switch so there would be no issues with state inspections. However we ran into an issue when combining this mod. with the fog lamp mod (options #2 & #4) in that when the mod. for the DRL is enabled (lights are off), the mod. for the the fog lamps no longer works (they revert to pre-mod. state). We did each mod. independently -- each has its own "kill" switch (3 prong switches, using only 2 prongs each) -- so if there are additional steps for them to work together, we missed those.

The Vibe is a 2009 GT.

Please advise... Also posting this in the mod. thread for the fog lamps.
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

Fizgig wrote:So, we disabled the DRL using the instructions in this thread. We DID add a "reversal" switch so there would be no issues with state inspections. However we ran into an issue when combining this mod. with the fog lamp mod (options #2 & #4) in that when the mod. for the DRL is enabled (lights are off), the mod. for the the fog lamps no longer works (they revert to pre-mod. state). We did each mod. independently -- each has its own "kill" switch (3 prong switches, using only 2 prongs each) -- so if there are additional steps for them to work together, we missed those.

The Vibe is a 2009 GT.

Please advise... Also posting this in the mod. thread for the fog lamps.
I looked at the schematics in the service manual and I don't see any reason why cutting the dark blue wire in this mod would have any effect on the fog lamp mod. Does the DRL mod work when you have it enabled? If you cut the wrong blue wire, I could see it causing problems with the fog lamp mod though. The correct blue wire is dark blue and right next to the big fat wire. The wire next to the fog lamp mod wire is also blue, but it's not that one. There's been some confusion about whether it's pin 10 or 12 because of the two thick wires (sometimes called pin 1 and 2, sometimes called pin A and B) and both pin 10 and 12 being blue doesn't help.

Another user posted the "map" of the connector in another thread.

-A- (Big brown)
-B- (Big white)
1 10 (Dark Blue)
2 11
3 12 (Light Blue)
4 13 (Brown-greyish)
5 14
6 15
7 16
8 17
9 18
Fizgig

Post by Fizgig »

gimmegimme wrote: I looked at the schematics in the service manual and I don't see any reason why cutting the dark blue wire in this mod would have any effect on the fog lamp mod. Does the DRL mod work when you have it enabled? If you cut the wrong blue wire, I could see it causing problems with the fog lamp mod though. The correct blue wire is dark blue and right next to the big fat wire. The wire next to the fog lamp mod wire is also blue, but it's not that one. There's been some confusion about whether it's pin 10 or 12 because of the two thick wires (sometimes called pin 1 and 2, sometimes called pin A and B) and both pin 10 and 12 being blue doesn't help.

-A- (Big brown)
-B- (Big white)
1 10 (Dark Blue)
2 11
3 12 (Light Blue)
4 13 (Brown-greyish)
5 14
6 15
7 16
8 17
9 18
That schematic helps A LOT!! Thank you very much! We had to do some of it just via pin numbers because the wire colors people were mentioning did not match the wire colors in my car --- for instance, there is NO brown (or grey) wire at pin 13, it is actually pink. Sooo... We'll have a second look and let folks know how it goes.

To answer questions... The DRL mod. works every time. So no issue there. However.... The fog lamp mod. does not work in conjunction with the DRL mod. I have to disable the DRL mod (via installed rocker switch) for my fog lamps to work. It's odd.... Turning on the DRL mod. completely disables even the switch for the fog lamp mod. (a separate rocker switch) so flipping the switch does nothing. To be a bit more clear & spare people the switch between threads -- the fog lamp mod. is supposed to a) allow for use of fog lamps when parking lights are on and b) have a "mod. off" switch. Oh, and the fog lamps DO now stay on with the high beams on.

Sorry if I've repeated details.... Really hoping that someone sees something in the details that we've done incorrectly.

Thank you for your time in helping us figure this out!!!
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

Fizgig wrote:
gimmegimme wrote: I looked at the schematics in the service manual and I don't see any reason why cutting the dark blue wire in this mod would have any effect on the fog lamp mod. Does the DRL mod work when you have it enabled? If you cut the wrong blue wire, I could see it causing problems with the fog lamp mod though. The correct blue wire is dark blue and right next to the big fat wire. The wire next to the fog lamp mod wire is also blue, but it's not that one. There's been some confusion about whether it's pin 10 or 12 because of the two thick wires (sometimes called pin 1 and 2, sometimes called pin A and B) and both pin 10 and 12 being blue doesn't help.

-A- (Big brown)
-B- (Big white)
1 10 (Dark Blue)
2 11
3 12 (Light Blue)
4 13 (Brown-greyish)
5 14
6 15
7 16
8 17
9 18
That schematic helps A LOT!! Thank you very much! We had to do some of it just via pin numbers because the wire colors people were mentioning did not match the wire colors in my car --- for instance, there is NO brown (or grey) wire at pin 13, it is actually pink. Sooo... We'll have a second look and let folks know how it goes.

To answer questions... The DRL mod. works every time. So no issue there. However.... The fog lamp mod. does not work in conjunction with the DRL mod. I have to disable the DRL mod (via installed rocker switch) for my fog lamps to work. It's odd.... Turning on the DRL mod. completely disables even the switch for the fog lamp mod. (a separate rocker switch) so flipping the switch does nothing. To be a bit more clear & spare people the switch between threads -- the fog lamp mod. is supposed to a) allow for use of fog lamps when parking lights are on and b) have a "mod. off" switch. Oh, and the fog lamps DO now stay on with the high beams on.

Sorry if I've repeated details.... Really hoping that someone sees something in the details that we've done incorrectly.

Thank you for your time in helping us figure this out!!!
To be honest, all I would do if I were you is to use the FOG LAMP MOD OPTION #1 (totally independant).
At first, I was scared I would forget my fog lamps ON, and it DID happen 2 times... but not long enough to drain the battery. Those 2 times I forgot were in the first month or two. Now I never have a problem turning off the fog lamps (over a year and more). The light in the dash will tell me if I forgot the fog lamps anyways, and if it's nighttime (it is the ONLY time I use fog lamps anyways), I will SEE that light is coming from the front of the car when it shouldn't ..! So you have at least 2 warnings in case you forget...

So, you should simply use option 1 (ground the signal wire of the fog lamps) instead of "splicing" it to the parking lights.
It's a reckless solution, but it's not "that" reckless!
Fizgig

Post by Fizgig »

alex_nrv wrote: .....To be honest, all I would do if I were you is to use the FOG LAMP MOD OPTION #1 (totally independant)....
That may end up being the solution to the issue in the long run. Though not ideal, it certainly would work and is easier than splicing wires. We were hoping to get the ideal option to work right ;) But, completely independent fogs with a kill switch is a workable plan B.

Thanks again to all who responded!