I can help with car audio questions.

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
RobK

I can help with car audio questions.

Post by RobK »

Hi everyone,

I've been a vibe owner for three years now. I've always been a big audio nut in my town for years beyond my vibe! I change stereo systems out of my car every 6 months when I get bored with the current setup, and I have had predominately Pheonix Gold, Audiobahn, Lanzar, Kicker, and just this past year my new and favorite, JL Audio systems. With these many change outs, I have learned many things and want to pass on my knowledge to you! Feel free to post any questions you have, and I will find the answer.

Here is a description of my current system setup:

Pioneer AVH-P4400bt for headunit
JL Audio ZR650-CSi for front stage
JL Audio CR650 Coaxials for rear stage
JL Audio 13.5 W7 in red eye ported box
JL Audio 1000.1 Slash V1 amp for sub
JL Audio 300.4 Slash V1 amp for mid/high
(2) JL Audio RCA cables (most expensive)
185 amp alternator custom built
Optima yellowtop battery
Memphis Audio 0 guage power/ground wire
2 out of 3 of Big Three upgrade finished(no power to alternator yet)
shanghei

Re: I can help with car audio questions.

Post by shanghei »

That is very nice of you. I am currently in the process of putting a radio in a vibe I just bought.

It is not the best radio but I just wanted something decent.

I bought the following

Sony XM1S for subs
Sony XM4S for front and rear speakers
JBL GTO638 Front speakers
Rockford Fosgate Prime R152 for rear
JBL GTO804 8" subwoofer

Ran 4 gauge for power.

My head unit is an old pioneer as long as it has bluetooth im happy.

Almost done, my fear is the sub wont work since I made fibeglass enclosure and im a noob.
mac77daddy

Post by mac77daddy »

This will save me time on here, thanks for the offer to help. I have been a car nut and audio nut forever... I am about to install a Kenwood KDC X695 in my 05 moon and tune. I have heard that in addition to installing the new Head unit I will have to bypass the stock amp for good sound quality. 1, is this true? I already have a nice (old skool) Sony amp and a pioneer IMPP sub in the back currently running of of a line signal converter. I am going to install the new deck and run the RCA's to the sub out on this deck and run the stock door speakers/tweeters off of the deck directly. What is the best way to bypass this stock amp? I don't have any use for it in the new application and I want to make it sound clean and loud... not just freekin loud. Is there a wiring guide for this? I am assuming that you just have to jump over the amp with the input to the output wires. Does anyone know what the colors going in should be matched to going out? I am interested in your knowledge in this area.... Thanks in advance! :D
novibeyet

Post by novibeyet »

Hi, your help would be greatly appreciated. I recently picked up a 2009 GT with the moon and tune. Also foound a second hand Kenwood Excelon 9140 to replace the stock radio. I can't seem to find the correct harness to apdat and install my new head unit. It would be if you could provide me a list of exactly what is needed with part number. I already got most of what I need but cant locate the correct harness.
Thanks
2009 Vibe GT- Black with M&T
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

mac77daddy wrote:...I have heard that in addition to installing the new Head unit I will have to bypass the stock amp for good sound quality. 1, is this true?...
Sounds like you already intend on passing the factory amp. I honestly thought that the factory amp wouldn't produce anything great, but my assumption is it's more based on your head unit. The one I have, Kenwood KDC-HD942U, and just using the Schoshe (sp?) wiring harness to stil luse the factory amp has produced amazing sound. I hear things much better than before. The only downfall I have now is since I replaced the factory sub with an aftermarket 6.5 sub, I've lost the nice bassier mids that it produced.
Just one man's opinion. Hopefully the OP will be able to help you out in bypassing the factory amp though.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
bobfell13

Post by bobfell13 »

hey i have a 2004 vibe. i blew the last amp and the rear speakers cut out and it killed my battery overnight and the drivers side tweeter would not stop cracking. I just replaced the amp and when tested, the rear speakers still do not work. The front did and i dont know if it killed the battery yet but the tweeter stopped cracking. I dont know whats happening. could this have something to do with the head unit, and if it does, what should i do to fix it? Any help on the subject would be apreciated. THanks
mac77daddy

Post by mac77daddy »

Wolfman213 wrote: Sounds like you already intend on passing the factory amp. I honestly thought that the factory amp wouldn't produce anything great, but my assumption is it's more based on your head unit. The one I have, Kenwood KDC-HD942U, and just using the Schoshe (sp?) wiring harness to stil luse the factory amp has produced amazing sound. I hear things much better than before.
Thanks for your input. I have now decided that I am going to try this in stages. I am going to install the head unit with the wiring harness (like you) and see how it sounds. The new Kenwood that I have has built in, fully adjustable, HP crossovers front and rear (controlled individually) then subwoofer frequency/level/phase control as well. I chose this unit because of the extensive control of sound. If I don't like the way it sounds running through the stock amp then I'll look further into bypassing the factory amp. So, would you say that there is less distortion at high volume than the stock head unit?
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

That definitely sounds awesome to be able to have that much control over the setup with the Kenwood you are looking at. Mine has a good amount of control over things, but definitely not as much as yours does.
I have had much less distortion than with the stock HU. I can crank it up to higher volumes (to the point where my ears hurt) than I could with stock HU and it still sound clear. I'm suprised the stock speakers have been doing so well to tell you the truth.
Good luck and hopefully this method will work out for you! We all love having custom audio and putting the work into it, but who wouldn't want to spend less time and still get great results lol.
Word of advice, check out either Bluecrush or Keithvibe's (can't remember who done it) writeup on installing the Scosche. I can't remember how they said to get it set, but I would recommend (if your volume is numbered the same as mine and goes into the 30's) put your Kenwood on 17 and then start adjusting the individual levels on the Scosche. Since it sounds like you already know what to listen for, find the point where where either the speaker starts to distort it is too loud and back off a bit. When I done this (considering the amount of controls I have and with yours being even more) I kept the Kenwood at default setting and tried placing my head in the center of the Vibe. This get's the overall feel and sound correct. Let your Kenwood do the rest.
If any of this doesn't quite make sense right now, it definitely will once you are at the installing stage and start dealing with the Scosche.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
mac77daddy

Post by mac77daddy »

Okay, so I installed the new head unit using the stock amp and I have to say that I am not that impressed. I definitely notice a difference in clarity but I also hear the white noise at lower volumes and I have my volume offset all the way down. I think that I am going to jumpover the stock ampand run it that way. We'll see how it works out. I'll keep you posted.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

That is interesting- I too have white noise at low volumes running an aftermarket headunit through the stock amp (and through the aftermarket wiring harness to retain all the other functionality). Do you think it's the amp causing it?
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
trask

Post by trask »

It was in my case, on an 09 Vibe moon and tunes,( according to the installers ) when I had my new head unit installed, the amp in the new head unit was creating interference with the factory amp. Had the installers bypass the stock amp and the problems with white noise went away, but the sound quality was OK but not great, so I had the shop install a new 5 channel alpine amp and the sound quality was much better. I figured a better amp would be a plus in the future when upgrading speakers.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
novibeyet

Post by novibeyet »

Still looking for answers...2009 GT with moons and tunes.....I picked up a used kenwood excelon 9140 that I want to install. I have tried 3 harness kits....none match the stock plugs on the existing radio.
I had an online chat with Cructhfeld, they could not find a harness. I am trying to avoid doing the hard wire. Anybody have any clues......please.
if not any links to how to hard wire?
thanks.
shanghei

Post by shanghei »

novibeyet wrote:Still looking for answers...2009 GT with moons and tunes.....I picked up a used kenwood excelon 9140 that I want to install. I have tried 3 harness kits....none match the stock plugs on the existing radio.
I had an online chat with Cructhfeld, they could not find a harness. I am trying to avoid doing the hard wire. Anybody have any clues......please.
thanks.
The colors dont match or the printing of what the wires are for on the harness wire dont match?
novibeyet

Post by novibeyet »

they don't match......the plugs are slightly different sizes and do not join together.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

mac77daddy wrote:Okay, so I installed the new head unit using the stock amp and I have to say that I am not that impressed. I definitely notice a difference in clarity but I also hear the white noise at lower volumes and I have my volume offset all the way down. I think that I am going to jumpover the stock ampand run it that way. We'll see how it works out. I'll keep you posted.
Well that def sux :/ I don't have any white noise at all, which is one of the reasons why I suggested that method first. Well best of luck bypassing the factory amp!!
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

novibeyet wrote:Still looking for answers...2009 GT with moons and tunes.....I picked up a used kenwood excelon 9140 that I want to install. I have tried 3 harness kits....none match the stock plugs on the existing radio.
thanks.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=22155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; GMOS LAN 12 is the one that I used. This may be a bit overkill if you don't want to retain all the functionality.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
VibeBear

Post by VibeBear »

thanks.

Have you tried the GM18B from Scosche? I know it works with the non Moon & Tunes systems (with a bit of modification) Not sure if it will work with the M & T though
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 305/5-speed, Bright Dark Teal
2009 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8L/5-speed, Carbon Grey
novibeyet

Post by novibeyet »

Yes. I tried that and it does not align.
oppy1984

Post by oppy1984 »

Thanks for offering to help and I think I will take advantage of this too! I have a a 2005 Vibe with the moon and tunes package and about a year ago I went to the local car audio shop to have my aftermarket XM radio replaced with a new model since the old one died on me, and while I was there I asked about getting a new HU since the factory HU was starting to give out and I wanted more functionality out of my HU. The salesmen told me that because I have the moon and tunes package I would have to have the entire sound system rewired to be able to install a new HU because that system has an anti-theft feature that won't let any other HU work on that system and won't let the factory HU work anywhere else either.

I'm no expert when it comes to car audio but I'm fairly sure after some basic research that all I need is a $15 adapter and any compatible HU will work just fine. The factory HU not working in other cars I could see being true but I think it was BS when he told me I'd have to rewire the entire sound system. I'd just like some confirmation that he's just saying that to get me to pay $800 to let his shop rewire my car when it doesn't need to be done.

As I said I'm not an expert on these issues but it feels like a screw job. Thanks!
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Yes that guy is trying to screw you over. The adapter for the M&T is $30 at Crutchfield and it's the PAC model. When I got my HU, it was $50 and the Schosche (sp?) model. Just ensure that you are getting the correct one for the M&T and not just the base stereo though.
There are some members that do rewire everything, but that's simply because they are bypassing the stock amp, not a security device.
oppy1984

Post by oppy1984 »

Wolfman213 wrote:Yes that guy is trying to screw you over. The adapter for the M&T is $30 at Crutchfield and it's the PAC model. When I got my HU, it was $50 and the Schosche (sp?) model. Just ensure that you are getting the correct one for the M&T and not just the base stereo though.
There are some members that do rewire everything, but that's simply because they are bypassing the stock amp, not a security device.

Thank you Wolfman, I thought I was being jerked around but I wanted to make sure. Time to find a new audio shop!
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

03 stock amp & HU w/ aftermarket speakers

I have done a lot of searching and correct me if i am wrong but word is that the sun and tune amp under pass seat is a 4 ch 200w 4ohm amp ?

but the front speakers are 2ohm . does this mean the front tweeters are also 2ohm ? and combined they = a 4ohm load ?
are the rear speakers 2 or 4 ohm ? i think they are 4 but not sure. im aware that they are a full range one way just need ohms.

I have a set of 6.5 polk momo components with crossovers from back in my thumping days . Since front has such shallow depth I would like to use woofers of these in the rear . and put the tweeters up front all running of rear amp signal (im aware this will require me to run aditional wires to the front doors) . Then i want to put a cheap , brand name pair of 2ways up front , no longer sharing its signal with the stock tweeter .
I will also add a small powered sub prolly the kenwood 5x7 150w which will run of a line converter .

if my calculations are correct this should put me at an even 4 ohm load on all speakers ?

I am happy with the oem Head unit for now and deff want to take advantage of having a stock amp till i outgrow it....

any corrections to my ohms or suggestions will be apreciated
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
MannyL

Post by MannyL »

RobK and anyone else who knows.

I have an 09 GT with the Monsoon system. I use On Star and XM so I don't want to lose them but the Aux Jack on my stock HU is not working. (I get either no sound or mono unless I have the male plus under tension)

Is there anyone able to repair it or do I need to buy a new HU?

I'm trying to do everything as inexpensively as possible.

I'm in NJ if anyone wants to fool around with my HU and is a day's drive away I'll go to you
OLimoges

Post by OLimoges »

I have a simple question for you.

I owned a vibe '06 with the based model stereo, I want to update my head unit but I'm wondering if this will give me better sound or I will need to change all the speakers too.

I was looking fo a JVC kwr800bt because I want my IPhone music streaming via bluetooth or USB. If someone have one install on their car is it a good head unit ?
Right now I use an fm transmitter and the quality is good, but not REALLY GREAT.

TKS :D
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I don't know if this is a fact or just something that has been true with everyone I've spoke with, but putting an aftermarket stereo in place of a factory stereo (esp a base model) you will definitely get better sound. New speakers will help as well, but if you are just planning on a stereo, then you will get better sound. I have the Monsoon system and was rather pleased by the factory setup. I replaced the HU and was even more impressed. I haven't upgraded speakers though. From my experience, every factory HU I replaced with an aftermarket HU, the sound quality was improved. Like I said though, don't know if it's a fact or just being that every case I've heard/experienced, but you will (read should) notice an improvement.
OLimoges

Post by OLimoges »

Ok, tks. The thing is that I noticed that the FM radio sound quality was not really good, but the quality with a CD was really nice.

The thing that I want is to upgrade only the radio, because I don't want to spend a lot of money, but just be abble to hook up my iPhone to play music and to answer to the phone safely.

I want to know if I someone have a JVC KW-R800BT or a model that is similar, in your vibe. If so, is the quality good :)

Also do you know a place were they can install my radio, I live in Montreal, Qc, Canada :)
736walker

Post by 736walker »

Hi,
I have a 2006 pontiac vibe base,I am trying to determine if I have the moon and toon package,I have the moonroof and the seven speaker set up and the box under the passenger seat which I believe is the Amp but I have the base stereo head unit, Iam looking for a good unit through crutchfields I just want to make sure I get the right equipment,I have been searhing different post on this subject but I cannot nail it down .

thanks
736walker
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Yes, that would be the Monsoon system. Just put that for the option when looking in Crutchfield.
OLimoges

Post by OLimoges »

If I want to install a HU what do I have to buy and how to I connect the wire from the HU to the speakers ?

TKS :)
twilly

Post by twilly »

I need help with installing a new head unit in my 2003 pontiac vibe.

Current setup..
Clarion CX501 - http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CX501-Dou ... B004KVLB9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wire Harness: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL ... 04_s00_i01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am able to power the head unit on but I am not getting any sound. I beleive the issue is that hte factory amp is not turning on. The head unit's wiring diagram shows that the blue/whitestriped wire is supposed to connect to the "Amp On Trigger" wire. I am not able to find where to connect this wire to since it is not available in the wireharness lsited above.

The harness from crutchfield says that the blue wire is included in the details, but it not shown in the actual photo
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120702003/ ... rness.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blue/White Amp - Turn-On

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Tom
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

It's not that cool of RobK to post that he'll answer questions and then never respond. Hopefully nothing terrible happened...
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon