Dome Light not turning on when door is open

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
striker1211

Dome Light not turning on when door is open

Post by striker1211 »

My vibe 2008 Moon and Tunes is not turning on the dome light when I open the doors. I can turn it on manually and the door ajar light lights up when I open the doors but the light does not come on. The back light comes on because it is set to "door" but there is no switch on the map reading light in the front. Is there a switch hidden somewhere? Thanks.
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
bluneon

Re: Dome Light not turning on when door is open

Post by bluneon »

there are only 2 lamps switched on by the doors/glass opening. the dome and the rear. the map lamp will only switch on by the button.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My 2003 has a more basic dome light. According to the 08 owners manual:
Interior Lamps Control
The interior lights control is located on the overhead
light. To change the interior lights setting, slide the
switch to one of the following positions:
OFF: This position turns the light off.
ON: This position keeps the light on all the time.
Door: This position turns the light on when any door, the
liftgate or the liftglass is opened. The light goes off when
all the side doors, the liftgate and the liftglass are closed.

If the switch on the light is set to door and the light does not come on when the door is opened, but the rear light does come on when the door is opened, then it might be worth taking out the dome light and lookinig for corrosion on electrical contacts. Or maybe just slide the switch back and forth a few hundred times. Sometimes I have to hit the light button in my sunroof controls many times to wipe the contacts clean enough to get the light to stay on.
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Sorry for the late reply. I have one dome light in the front (I called it map light but it's really the one and only dome) and the light right by the tailgate. The light by the tailgate has a switch for on-off-door. The dome light in the front has just one push button switch. I swear the light used to come on with the doors and has not since I messed with the tailgate dome switch. Does anyone have a PDF of the electrical system on a 2008 vibe? Thanks.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

So are you talking about the light that is part of the sunroof controls?
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

joatmon wrote:So are you talking about the light that is part of the sunroof controls?
Correct. I do not have lights on my rearview mirror :(
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

On my 2003, the light in the sunroof control module is not tied into the door/hatch being open. It is manual on/off only. I suppose it's possible that it changed between my 03 and your 08, but I doubt it. It will take another 08 sunroofed Vibe owner to post up to confirm

my 03 has three overhead lights. The first is the one int he sunroof controls. The second is back by the hatch. I have a third that is midway, about above the front edge of the rear seat bottoms, just behind the front seat backs. The middle and hatch ones are triggered by the door, the sunroof one isn't Do 2008's not have that middle one?
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

joatmon wrote:On my 2003, the light in the sunroof control module is not tied into the door/hatch being open. It is manual on/off only. I suppose it's possible that it changed between my 03 and your 08, but I doubt it. It will take another 08 sunroofed Vibe owner to post up to confirm

my 03 has three overhead lights. The first is the one int he sunroof controls. The second is back by the hatch. I have a third that is midway, about above the front edge of the rear seat bottoms, just behind the front seat backs. The middle and hatch ones are triggered by the door, the sunroof one isn't Do 2008's not have that middle one?
Yeah I am thinking I must have just imagined the sunroof control light turning on with the door because there is clearly no switch to control it.