New speakers?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
lannvouivre

New speakers?

Post by lannvouivre »

So, I was thinking of possibly getting new speakers. The one in the driver's door starts getting a static-y sound when playing some parts of some of my music and I'm willing to use this as an excuse to upgrade.What should I get? I'd prefer to buy something off of Amazon cuz we have a lot of credits from selling our old college books back...and we get free shipping.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
sideshowalan

Re: New speakers? (lannvouivre)

Post by sideshowalan »

Are you going for Coaxial or Component?I really like the Infinity 6032si coaxials. They're shallow mount so they'll go into the front easily.If you're going component, the Polk DB6501 sounds great. Nice range of sound and the tweeters sing.I had the infinitys in all 4 doors before upgrading the fronts to polk components.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
chadhgraves

Re: New speakers? (lannvouivre)

Post by chadhgraves »

You can't go wrong with Infinity. I've had the Infinity Reference 6002i speakers, which have since been discontinued, for over 7 years. They really hold up well if you're looking for something long term. I've put them through their paces and they still sound just as good now as they did new. One thing I'll add is that a speaker is only as good as it's source. Make sure your speakers have some extra wattage on top of what your head unit puts out so you're not blowing your speakers out. Crutchfield has tons of articles on getting the best sound in your car. Make sure you have clearance on the back end so your window doesn't hit it. You'll have to cut the old speaker out and drill out the rivets to use the factory ring. Do a search on here for pictures of how to do it. Infinity is my recommendation, because that's what I own, but Polk is definitely a high end speaker as well. Research the bestsellers and check the reviews on the speakers your looking at. Their's every option and style you could want on Amazon, so good luck finding your favorite one.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The boyfriend likes the Infinity 6032si coaxials (especially the price), so we'll probably do those after new tires and a different stereo. I don't think we'll end up replacing the rear speakers for a long time since they still sound fine...as far as I know, anyway.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

The Polk DB series are great too.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jamalogist

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by jamalogist »

I put in some high-end Hertz speakers.. and had them drill a hole for the tweeters in the back (there was already a separate place for tweeters in the front). But I think the door itself or the housing cannot handle the vibration because after a couple of years, they blew out.. this was with an infinity amp.. replaced with another pair of hertz which so far work fine,but still get some buzz (not distortion.. just door buzz.. again I just think something about the doors.. couldn't be the amp, it produces clean distortion-free sound..).. Maybe I just play it too loud, but putting something real nice into those doors and playing it at full blast didn't go over so well for me.. learned to exercise restraint.
2003 Vibe AWD w/Moon & Tunes (factory head unit only)
lannvouivre

Re: New speakers?

Post by lannvouivre »

I did replace my front speakers with some 2 or 3 way pioneer speakers. That was pretty awesome.

I would like to replace the rears with bass-oriented coaxial speakers. Usually only two people ever ride in my car, max, in the front seats, so I use my head unit's rear:out setting (due to no subwoofer). I don't want to install a subwoofer because the moons and tunes rear panel costs a fair bit and I don't want to add a sub box or anything that takes up space, nor do I really want to have to go cutting anything. I'd be kind of willing to replace the rear cubbies because they are just not very useful unless you want to listen to things flop around in the back, but don't feel confident in my dremel abilities.

Notes:
  • I never listen to my music loudly
    I understand electrical schematics and that sort of thing
    I'm not familiar with setting up audio equipment
    I like pie
dnoishere

Post by dnoishere »

I have a 07 with the monsoon package, I've upgraded the stock radio but I'm wondering about getting new speakers? How good/bad are the stock speakers? If I get a pair of coaxials would I keep the stock tweeters that are installed in the a-pillar hooked up? Or if I get a set of component speakers where do I put the crossovers?
Fever

Post by Fever »

lannvouivre wrote:I did replace my front speakers with some 2 or 3 way pioneer speakers. That was pretty awesome.

I would like to replace the rears with bass-oriented coaxial speakers. Usually only two people ever ride in my car, max, in the front seats, so I use my head unit's rear:out setting (due to no subwoofer). I don't want to install a subwoofer because the moons and tunes rear panel costs a fair bit and I don't want to add a sub box or anything that takes up space, nor do I really want to have to go cutting anything. I'd be kind of willing to replace the rear cubbies because they are just not very useful unless you want to listen to things flop around in the back, but don't feel confident in my dremel abilities.

Notes:
  • I never listen to my music loudly
    I understand electrical schematics and that sort of thing
    I'm not familiar with setting up audio equipment
    I like pie
I don't know of specifically bass oriented coaxials, but you can install just the midrange driver from a component set and leave the tweeter out. If that doesn't work for you, and you're happy with the pioneers, go with another set of those.
There are some good videos for diy getting the door panels off and speaker replacement. Not difficult. Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... el+removal
'07Vibe '13FR-S '99Ranger
Fever

Post by Fever »

dnoishere wrote:I have a 07 with the monsoon package, I've upgraded the stock radio but I'm wondering about getting new speakers? How good/bad are the stock speakers? If I get a pair of coaxials would I keep the stock tweeters that are installed in the a-pillar hooked up? Or if I get a set of component speakers where do I put the crossovers?
I have an 07 without monsoon. I hope your speakers are better than mine, if not, they're pretty crappy.
You can install coaxials low and just keep the stock tweeter up top. It's not ideal, but try it out and if you don't like it you can disable the tweets later. I'm going to try this route as soon as it's warm enough to work on it.

Not sure where to install the xovers for components. I bet there's room inside the door panels. Check out some youtube videos I posted in the note above, There may be answers there. Also search Matrix installs, probably more resources there. Good luck!
'07Vibe '13FR-S '99Ranger