Stuck in recirc mode and blower fan only blows on high 03 vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Canker

Stuck in recirc mode and blower fan only blows on high 03 vibe

Post by Canker »

Just bought an 03 vibe today and this is my first post here.I'm guessing these two problems are unrelated and the fan is just the resistor pack but before I go buy a new one I wanted to ask. When I take it out of recirc mode I just get a clicking sound every 5 seconds or so until I put it back in recirc mode. I also don't get as much air out of the vents as I should. The only ones that really seem to work halfway decent are the dash vents. Before I go tearing things apart to find out what has jammed or come loose I thought I would ask if this is a common problem or not.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
Canker

Re: Stuck in recirc mode and blower fan only blows on high 03 vibe (Canker)

Post by Canker »

sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Be sure to read the whole thread.First post says to buy a new motor and remove the dash. Further down they explain how to do it without removing the dash, and without buying a new motor by just rotating the broken gear.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
jake75

Re: Stuck in recirc mode and blower fan only blows on high 03 vibe (sideshowalan)

Post by jake75 »

This broken gear seems to be the most frequent issue for the Vibe, and no doubt for the Matrix and Corolla. One would think that Toyota would have addressed this a long time ago but I suspect they are still using this badly designed part. Well, their dealer service department mechanics have to have something to do I guess. A few years ago on my '03 the cost with labor was about $80.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Canker

Re: Stuck in recirc mode and blower fan only blows on high 03 vibe (sideshowalan)

Post by Canker »

I'm going to attempt going through the glove box and reusing the old part first. I really don't want to pull the whole dash out.Thanks
Canker

Post by Canker »

Fixed the recirc flapper motor and replaced the clogged cabin filter. That took care of the two of my problems. I also replaced the resistor pack but the blower fan still only works on high. Looking like the switch itself is bad.
Canker

Post by Canker »

Just in case anybody else runs into this problem.After replacing the resistor pack my fan still only worked on high. Busted out my multimeter and the switch and resistor both checked out fine. Before putting my fist through the window I decided to try using some electrical parts cleaner on the resistor pack's connector. Problem solved.
chadhgraves

Post by chadhgraves »

Good deal. I always hate it when people fix a problem and don't follow up on how they did it. This forum isn't like that though. All the problems I've ran into so far, I've been able to fix by asking or searching through genvibe.
earlyre

Re: Stuck in recirc mode and blower fan only blows on high 0

Post by earlyre »

Canker wrote:Just in case anybody else runs into this problem.After replacing the resistor pack my fan still only worked on high. Busted out my multimeter and the switch and resistor both checked out fine. Before putting my fist through the window I decided to try using some electrical parts cleaner on the resistor pack's connector. Problem solved.
Seriously?? that simple?? clean the contacts?!?!
damnit!
my buddy's been dealing with that since he bought his '03 vibe in 2010!