About to sound deaden doors....quick question

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
cptnsolo77

About to sound deaden doors....quick question

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I purchased this sound deadening material here: http://www.soundproofcow.com/s....htmlDo I junk the moisture barrier? or do apply the the deadening material & reinstall the moisture barrier over it?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
trb

Re: About to sound deaden doors....quick question (cptnsolo77)

Post by trb »

Are you putting it inside the door, or on the door in between the door and door panel, like how the moisture barrier is installed? I've always thought the sound insulation went inside the door, not on it?
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Serj22

Re: About to sound deaden doors....quick question (trb)

Post by Serj22 »

Putting it inside the door would mean you would ahve to use strips and it amy interfere with the window, which is innefective and a waste. Classically it is put on the side where the moisture barrier is "glued" down. I usually remove it because it will cause the sound deadener to "float" off the door and thats not what you want.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yes. I am putting on the side where the moisture barrier is glued on. So I just chuck the moisture barrier? Will it cause any "moisture" problems? LOL. Thx for the quick reply guys!
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by cptnsolo77 »I purchased this sound deadening material here: http://www.soundproofcow.com/s....htmlDo I junk the moisture barrier? or do apply the the deadening material & reinstall the moisture barrier over it?From what you show in the picture, That looks like the dynamax type sound-deadening that is to be applied to back side of the door's sheetmetal to suppress the tingging sound of the paper thin metal.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Ok....just got done with the right rear side. That speaker was starting to buzz so I did that one first. Sounds amazing even with the stock M&T HU. I did a before & after listening test. I noticed that I DID lose some bass with the Polk speaker vs. the stock speaker. However AFTER I was done with the sound dampening I listened again. I regained the bass I had lost without the dampening. Im happy. The POLK DB series have some great imaging. The highs can be really sharp but I just turned down the treble. Just need to set another day for the rear left. Im in no rush since that one isnt blown. Thank s Gen Vibe....
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by cptnsolo77 »I purchased this sound deadening material here: http://www.soundproofcow.com/s....htmlDo I junk the moisture barrier? or do apply the the deadening material & reinstall the moisture barrier over it?That's where I got mine from. I junked the moisture barrier and put mine on the door under the door panel. I hed some scraps left over that I put between the inner and outer door metal directly behind the speaker.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Hmmm....maybe I should hold onto the moisture barrier? I just threw it into the trash. Will it be a problem if i dont use it? I dont feel like taking the door panel off again LOL. Maybe it was you, K9 that posted soundproofcow.com. It was great ! 37 bucks & enough for both rear doors ! I sat in the car again & noticed the bass is equal to the stock speaker but much tighter. When these speakers break in it will sound pretty darn good for a car without a sub.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I peaced-out the moisture barrier. You won't need it. Deadened that surface as well as the inner surface of that same panel. Lowered noise a touch and definitely helped the speakers. Haven't had any issues.