New Bluetooth HU: running the mic wire?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
scottstoked

New Bluetooth HU: running the mic wire?

Post by scottstoked »

Just replaced the deck in my '03 with a JVC KD-R820BT. The deck has Bluetooth built in and comes with an external mic. The call quality is so-so and I've been experimenting with different placement. You can see the temp placement of the mic in the photos below. I'd like to get this mic to the visor, but not sure how run the wire.How would you guys do it? Behind the dash and up the a-pillar? I'm a noob and not quite sure how to remove those things to get the wire there.Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!
DoubleBaril

Post by DoubleBaril »

Should be able to remove the a-pillar pretty easily, and then just run the wire kind of under the dash (use some zip ties or velcro to secure it so it doesnt dangle). Then when you're along the pillar, just run it up and once you find the location you want, put it in place. I ended up putting mine on the steering wheel column, just below the speedometer, but the vents seem to cause alot of noise with the air blowing close to it or on it.
2003 Vibe AWD
scottstoked

Post by scottstoked »

Thanks! I think that' s what I'll do. Does anyone know if the the a-pillar cover just pops off, or is there some sort of trick to it. It looks pretty solid. I didn't want to try and force it.I tried it on the steering wheel column as well, but wasn't getting very good results either.
scottstoked

Re: New Bluetooth HU: running the mic wire?

Post by scottstoked »

So, I've never gotten around to moving the mic. So far, the nobody has been complaining about the sound quality with it's current placement, but I would like to get the mic off the dash and near the review mirror with my next HU. Is it possible to drop the mic cable behind the dash? Does the A-pillar come off easily? I tried prying it a little, but didn't want to force it too much and break anything. Is there a trick to it?

Thanks again!
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I have a Kenwood BT unit also, and I ran my mic wire behind the dash and secured the mic on the top/center/rear of the steering column right in front of the gauges. Nice semi-hidden location, sound quality is clear(no complaints) and doesn't impede my view of the gauges.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
scottstoked

Post by scottstoked »

Thanks for the reply! I've tried test mounting it there as well, but this mic didn't perform very well there for me. How did you run the wire behind your dash? This part of things is still a bit new to me. Thanks again!

UPDATE: Now have mic on the A pillar. Gently taped the mic to an rca speaker wire puller and fed it through to the floor, then pulled it over and pushed the wire into the weather stripping.

Some pics of the new Pioneer 2400BT head unit. Happy with it so far and you can customize the color to match the Vibe's. The JVC unit went into my wife's Dodge Journey so she could have Bluetooth as well.