Add steering audio control 09

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
mass04

Add steering audio control 09

Post by mass04 »

I apologize if this info exists somewhere, but I have been searching with no clear answer. I have an 09 with the mp3 stereo but no sub or tweeters. I would like to add the steering wheel audio controls. Is the wiring already in place? I can just purchase this switch for the wheel (#7 in the photo)? Thanks in advance
___________________________________________________GenVibe's PhysicistMy Vehicles:1997 Dodge Intrepid, white, 3.3L, 290k miles2009 Pontiac Vibe, steel blue, 2.4L, 30k miles
star_deceiver

Re: Add steering audio control 09 (mass04)

Post by star_deceiver »

Have a look where the cruise control stalk goes, the connection is under that panel on the right of the steering wheel. It should (based on what I've seen under there compared to that pic) plug right in.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
midnight

Post by midnight »

When I installed my fog light switch I did have a unused connecter, I would think that is what you are looking for. My question is what are you going to do about the air bag? On a base model the air bag is bigger covering that area.
mass04

Re: (midnight)

Post by mass04 »

Quote, originally posted by midnight »When I installed my fog light switch I did have a unused connecter, I would think that is what you are looking for. My question is what are you going to do about the air bag? On a base model the air bag is bigger covering that area.Ahh I see well thats the problem then, this is not plug and play...oh wellThanks for the info
___________________________________________________GenVibe's PhysicistMy Vehicles:1997 Dodge Intrepid, white, 3.3L, 290k miles2009 Pontiac Vibe, steel blue, 2.4L, 30k miles
pakong

Re: Add steering audio control 09

Post by pakong »

Did you do this mod? I'm going to try this mod. I bought a steering wheel with audio controls and I want to install it on my 2010 Pontiac Vibe without Monsoon. I'm trying to make it Monsoon including the sub and panel.Any advice will be helpful
pakong

Re: Add steering audio control 10

Post by pakong »

Leather Steering Wheel with Audio Controls $47.18 (Already purchased)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Vibe-Le ... 7675.l4066

Combo Switch for fog lights: 19184825 $52.24

Rear Emblem : 88975697 $25.04 (missing)

Rear Speaker - SUBWOOFER: 19184446 $49.99 (Already purchased)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272259135186?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Side Trim Panel Part Number: 19184794 $154.93

Upper Cover (tweeter cover): 19204965 $10.55

Upper Cover (tweeter cover): 19204966 $11.30

Outer Cover (Fog lamp): 88975659 $24.57

Outer Cover (Fog lamp): 88975660 $24.57

Fog Lamp :88975661 $40.00

Fog Lamp 88975662 $40.00
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

You need to replace the clockspring for sure. The one on the base doesn't have extra connectors for the audio control.
2009 Vibe Base
pakong

Post by pakong »

I also need Side Trim Panel 19184794 and I am having a lot of problems finding one. what clockspring do you recommend?
pakong

Post by pakong »

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

pakong wrote:What am I looking for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airbag-Clock-Sp ... 6i&vxp=mtr
That isn't the right one. If you look at the second picture in the listing, there are only three pins in the 10 pin connector. Those would be cruise, horn, and ground. The additional pin or pins for audio control are missing.

Plus the front part of the clockspring doesn't even have a 10-pin connector. Check the steering wheel you bought, it should have a 10 pin connector and the clockspring linked above doesn't have that connector on the face.

I don't have all the answers. I have seriously considered doing this mod, but to me it's a huge pain because I would have to get a new wheel, trim the airbag, replace the clockspring, and then buy an adapter harness for my Pioneer radio. Not worth the headache. I am looking at embedding the infrared remote for my Pioneer in the back of the steering wheel, and have trigger switches on the back of the steering wheel spokes, which would bypass all of the above.
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

MacGyver wrote: I am looking at embedding the infrared remote for my Pioneer in the back of the steering wheel, and have trigger switches on the back of the steering wheel spokes, which would bypass all of the above.
That would be almost identical to how my 2014 Silverado steering wheel controls are. Left paddle controls stations up/down, right paddle controls volume up/down. Because it's behind the wheel you don't even see it yet it is very comfortable and user friendly to operate!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
pakong

Post by pakong »

MacGyver, I'm going to give this project until the end of summer. I would like your assistance in sourcing the correct parts and I will try overcome the pain the (removed) to overcome this challenge. I have an Alpine deck that has remote control built in. If I cannot get this done by September I will take the easy way out.
pakong

Post by pakong »

pakong

Post by pakong »

ntorch

Post by ntorch »

I am interested in doing the same thing, replace my standard wheel with an e-bay leather volume control wheel.

From what I'm reading here I'd need:

1) E-bay Volume Control steering wheel
2) New clock spring
3) New airbag cover---I was looking at my standard cover, I wonder if i can just cut the wings off on each side?? It looks easy to do.

Anything else??---Then just plug and play after that to my standard GM radio?

Thanks.
2009 Vibe 1SB
pakong

Post by pakong »

I doubt that you would just be able to cut the wings off for it to fit. I'm not only doing the audio controls. I'm doing the windshield wiper stalk and installing fog lamps as well. Keep in touch. Somehow, I didn't get a notification about your question.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I found this how to guide, it includes detailed instructions and all the parts you'll need. It's for a Corolla, but the steering wheel is the same.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/326-c ... 011-a.html

It's REALLY important to make sure you get an OEM clockspring. If you aren't spending close to $200 it's almost certainly a knock off, and failure prone as Amazon reviews indicate.

Plus, as a bonus, you get the phone controls on the right side if you use part 8425002200, if you're connecting to an aftermarket radio which can use them. For aftermarket you'll still need a PAC SWI-RC interface v1.6.8 or higher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxSzae_k4lE - or a Metra ASWC-1. You can also use the PAC SWI-CP5 which allows two functions to be assigned to each steering wheel button, short and long press.

In one of the pics, you can see the back side of the airbag where the base model "wings" would attach, and there's nothing there, so I would say it's safe to carefully trim them off to accommodate the new steering wheel controls, as long as you use a sharp knife and no power tools.
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

ntorch wrote:I am interested in doing the same thing, replace my standard wheel with an e-bay leather volume control wheel.

From what I'm reading here I'd need:

1) E-bay Volume Control steering wheel
2) New clock spring
3) New airbag cover---I was looking at my standard cover, I wonder if i can just cut the wings off on each side?? It looks easy to do.

Anything else??---Then just plug and play after that to my standard GM radio?

Thanks.
I've got an extra airbag/hornpad combo thingy (not really sure what to call it) that I've been trying to sell on eBay. It fits in the steering wheel that has volume controls so you don't have to worry about cutting those wings off. I considered that when I fixed my car and had to replace airbags, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't going to work and be able to mount into the wheel.
pakong

Post by pakong »

Macgyver,
Thanks for the tips. I typically will use a head unit that has a built in 2.5mm remote control jack like the Alpine CDE-149BT Image as pictured here. The Alpine CDE-148BT while it appears to have all of the same features as the CDE-149BT doesn't have as good an HD Radio tuner, I think the difference is around $100.00. I combine that with the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter Image. Once you power it up the Axxess will automatically "learn" the controls from the steering wheel. It isn't so good at the phone controls tough. I've been able to get it to hang up but not answer a call.