2010 Key fob

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
btclark08

2010 Key fob

Post by btclark08 »

I just purchased a new key for my 2010 vibe. It was from the dealership and works on the car. I had to schedule an appt to have the fob programmed. Am I able to program it myself. All I see for programming help goes up through 2009. I tried that (where you open and close the doors and what not) but it did not do anything any help would be great.
ajb812

Re: 2010 Key fob (btclark08)

Post by ajb812 »

If you are only programming the key fob buttons, then yes - you can do it yourself. The programming instructions for the 03-08 vibes also should work on the 09-10 vibes. I have an 09 GT and can confirm that this works as I have added 2 remotes to my car. Take a look at these instructions and give them a try...

Attached files

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Jet Black Metallic
GenVibe Garage
jake75

Re: 2010 Key fob (ajb812)

Post by jake75 »

Somewhere around her I have an extra key fob that I bought for my 2003 vibe - I wonder if that would work for my 2009.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
btclark08

Re: 2010 Key fob (jake75)

Post by btclark08 »

I am trying to do the buttons, I read there is some discussion whether there is a security chip in the key. That is not an issue as I have used the key in the ignition and it works fine.Is there any trick to the programming as far as timing. I have been doing it as fast as I could, the door locks just don't do anything at the end of the instructions
btclark08

Post by btclark08 »

Tried doing it fast, and slow.No luck, i bought the car used and it was from a enterprise dealership before. What is the possibility that it was deactivated somehow
ajb812

Post by ajb812 »

Hmmm, I'm not quite sure. I did it exactly as in the instructions and it worked for me. Maybe someone else here may be able to chime in with some advice ...

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Jet Black Metallic
GenVibe Garage
btclark08

Post by btclark08 »

Thanks anyways, I will post if I get it figured out
frankiemenz

Re: (btclark08)

Post by frankiemenz »

I programmed a new key and remote to my 2010 Vibe. I used a programming instruction from mitchell and it worked ok, it did take me a couple trys but I got it to work. I will enter the procedure here:Programming Keyless Entry Transmitters Four programming modes are available in the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR). They are as follows: Add mode: This mode is used for adding new or additional transmitters. If the number of programmed transmitters exceeds 4, the previously programmed transmitters will be correspondingly erased in order, starting from the transmitter programmed first. Rewrite mode: This mode is used to erase all of the previously programmed transmitters and should be used when installing a new receiver. Confirmation mode: This mode is for confirming how many existing transmitters are programmed before adding any transmitters. Prohibition mode: This mode is used to erase all programmed transmitters and cancel the wireless door lock function. Use this mode when a transmitter is lost. 1.To begin programming, first ensure the follow conditions have been met: 1.No key is inserted in the ignition key cylinder. 2.Only the driver's door is open. 2.Perform the following operations to select the desired mode: 1.Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice within 5 seconds. (End with key removed) 2.After the above operation, close and open the driver's door twice (End with door open). Then insert the key into the ignition key cylinder and remove it. This step must be done within 40 seconds of step 2.1. 3.After the above operation, close and open the driver's door twice (End with door open). Then insert the key into the ignition key cylinder and close the driver door. This step must be done within 40 seconds of step 2.2. 4.Turn the ignition switch from LOCK to ON and back to LOCK at approximately 1 second intervals 1 to 5 times to select a mode (see below). Then remove the key from the ignition key cylinder. Add Mode = One ON-LOCK Rewrite Mode = Two ON-LOCK Confirmation Mode = Three ON-LOCK Prohibition Mode = Five ON-LOCK 3.After selecting a mode, the BCM will automatically perform a series of power door LOCK-UNLOCK cycles within 5 seconds to inform the selected mode (see below). Add Mode = One LOCK-UNLOCK cycle Rewrite Mode = Two LOCK-UNLOCK cycles Confirmation Mode = One to Six LOCK-UNLOCK cycles, equal to the number of transmitters programmed Prohibition Mode = Five LOCK-UNLOCK cycles 4.Program the new transmitters (Add Mode or Rewrite Mode only) 1.Within 45 seconds after the Add Mode or Rewrite Mode has been selected, press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1.0 to 1.5 seconds. Then, press either one of the buttons for more than 1.0 second. 2.Within 5 seconds after the transmitter button has been released, a single LOCK-UNLOCK cycle will be automatically performed if the transmitter programming has completed correctly. If two LOCK-UNLOCK cycles occur, transmitter programming has failed. Perform step 4.1 again. 3.If multiple transmitters need to be programmed, repeat steps 4.1 and 4.2 within 45 seconds after the previous transmitter has been programmed. 5.Programming mode will exit when any of the following occur: Four transmitters have been programmed 40 seconds have elapsed since the last transmitter has been programming Any of the doors are opened. The key is inserted into the ignition key cylinder.
frankiemenz

Re: (btclark08)

Post by frankiemenz »

Mine is also an ex-enterprise car, lol. The dealer only had 1 key to the car, they said enterprise usually returns the cars with only 1 key, so I had to purchase a key and program the fob portion to the car, no immobilizer on my vibe. ---Frank
leopardgirl88

Re: 2010 Key fob

Post by leopardgirl88 »

The programming method from the Toyota book worked for me. Thanks for posting it. Saved tons of money!
richz03

Post by richz03 »

Well I bought a key on eBay from allkeyless_llc for $22.32 shipped! I programmed it using the instructions above, but it was difficult to read as posted so here is a easier version:

-Start with key out of ignition cylinder & driver's door open
-Insert & remove the key from the ignition switch twice within 5 seconds
-Close & open the driver's door twice (ending with door open)
-Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder & remove it
-Close & open the driver's door twice (ending with door open)
-Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder & close the driver door
-Turn the ignition switch from "LOCK" position to "ON" & back to "LOCK" & remove the key

The BCM will automatically perform one "LOCK-UNLOCK" cycle

-Press the LOCK & UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1-1.5 seconds and release
-Press either one the LOCK or UNLOCK buttons for more than 1 second within 5 seconds after the transmitter button was released

A single LOCK-UNLOCK cycle will be automatically performed if the transmitter programming is completed

*** If two LOCK-UNLOCK cycles occur, the transmitter programming has failed. Perform transmitter steps.

I took my programmed key to local Locksmith and it cost me $2.00 to cut it!
Rich
psiu

Post by psiu »

Also, just like with the 2003-2008, Toyota keys (panic!) work as well. :D

After doing a lot of reading, there may be chips in keys but it depends on if the car came with security system, I believe. Can't remember but waste an afternoon searching on GV and all will fuzzy, if not clear. ;)

*necro-topic*
canadave

Post by canadave »

I'm not happy with the huge key for my 2009 Vibe--it hangs down and scratches my knee when I'm driving my other 1st gen Vibe. Is there any way to take the keyless entry fob for the 1st gen Vibe and make it lock/unlock the 2009 Vibe too, and use a smaller key of some sort for the 2009?

Alternatively, is there a way to use the 2009 key for both the 2009 and the 1st gen Vibe, and get rid of the 1st gen keyfob?

It all sounds unlikely even to me as I'm typing it, but I'm grasping at straws....
2009 base Vibe, silver"
trb

Post by trb »

Doubt you can do that since they have different FCC IDs so they don't use the same frequencies. I think someone on here got a separate Toyota key without the remote and cut the key off the stock remote to create a separate key and remote like on the 1st gen. Not sure how that would work on yours since it probably has the security key and you would need to have the new key programmed. But then again, it might be close enough on the same keychain to activate the security.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
canadave

Post by canadave »

Darn, that would be really disappointing if there was no way to replace the 2009's key. That thing is dangerous! :)

Apropos of nothing perhaps, but I found this "blank key reference" PDF for cars and trucks on the web while searching for info. Not sure how useful it is, maybe not at all, but maybe someone will find it helpful.

http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key-systems/me ... erence.pdf
2009 base Vibe, silver"