So, I'm Thinking of Gettin a Garmin...

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
zionzr2

So, I'm Thinking of Gettin a Garmin...

Post by zionzr2 »

Im starting to think of getting a GPS unit. Not sure what might be best yet, but I have my eye on the: Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMTAnyone here have this one?Thoughts?Comments?Suggestions?Thanks!
Kari

Re: So, I'm Thinking of Gettin a Garmin... (zionzr2)

Post by Kari »

I have a cheap Nuvi, and I really like it. I find Garmin's interface the easiest to use of all of the major car GPS brands. We looked at one with the traffic stuff and had heard that it was hit or miss so chose not to pay extra for that feature. The lifetime map updates would be nice though.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Kamikaze

Re: So, I'm Thinking of Gettin a Garmin... (Kari)

Post by Kamikaze »

I love my Garmin handheld, easy to use, updates are easy.Lifetime maps would be nice, but if you know where to look you can get them for free....
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
lovemyraffe

Re: So, I'm Thinking of Gettin a Garmin... (Kamikaze)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Out of the major GPS brands, I like Garmin the best. I had one, got rid of it, thought about getting another one but my Android phone does it for me.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

We have a cheap Garmin and an expensive Garmin, and I have to say we like the cheap one better in terms of the interface and what is displayed on screen.The only downside of a Garmin is that you can't download all the fun voices like you do on a TomTom (my father-in-law's TomTom has a Dalek voice... hehehe...)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
epcIII

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by epcIII »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »The only downside of a Garmin is that you can't download all the fun voices like you do on a TomTom (my father-in-law's TomTom has a Dalek voice... hehehe...)You can get some cool voices though. I have the haunted one, and if you're driving for awhile without having to turn, he'll say, "Never mind that noise coming from the trunk." Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »Out of the major GPS brands, I like Garmin the best. I had one, got rid of it, thought about getting another one but my Android phone does it for me.Same. I really liked my Garmin, but use my Android now. Thinking of selling my Garmin since I don't really use it much anymore.
Drivinthvibe

Post by Drivinthvibe »

I have a Magellan 4040 and love it ... Did not like the $450. price tag thoe ..
jake75

Re: (Drivinthvibe)

Post by jake75 »

When I bought my '09 Vibe in Jan. 2009 they were giving away a Garmin 205 3.5". When I picked it up there was a Target gift receipt attached. I returned it to Target and got a $150 plus tax Target gift card. A nice bonus to the great deal I got anyway. Of course they are cheaper now - I have seen the 205W 4.3" for less than $100. But I rarely drive anywhere that I am not used to going so I can live without one.There is a new internet site http://www.sigalert.com that provides traffic info for major roads in major cities. That may be of some use for those with internet capable phones.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Kari

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »The only downside of a Garmin is that you can't download all the fun voices like you do on a TomTom (my father-in-law's TomTom has a Dalek voice... hehehe...)Garmin does have voices you can download, both free and paid. The free "Squirrely" voice is fun.
GenVibe Global Moderator
joatmon

Re: So, I'm Thinking of Gettin a Garmin... (zionzr2)

Post by joatmon »

I have a garmin nuvi 7xx and it works well. Its a widescreen one, stupid that it doesn't have a portrait mode though, only landscape. Its a touchscreen, more like a mash screen, takes a lot of pressure to select something.I tend to use the droid phone now instead. The garmin works where there's no or poor cell coverage, but those times are few for me. Droid uses voice synthesis instead of prerecorded words and phrases, so no amusing voice downloads. Of the voice options on the garmin, I preferred the australian female voice, although sometimes it was amusing to switch to languages I didn't understandThe garmin I have didn't come with free map updates, and it's about three years past due for a map update, there have been times when it has mattered.I find that using a GPS lets me get to places without thinking about them too hard, but that after I get to a new place via GPS, I have less concept of how to get there again than I would have had if I had done it the old way, (study maps, read signs, pay attention, etc. )Never did find a really good place to mount a GPS in the Vibe. Cops around DC say to make sure you don't ever leave a tell tale ring on the windshield from the suction cup mount or else the smash and grabbers will get you. Sometimes I'd suction cup it the moonroof, but usually just had it loose on the passenger seat or in a cupholder .
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I pulled the trigger! I gotta gotta gotta Garmin!Works Great. Starting to get into Geocaching (Well Benchmark hunting)
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Which model did you end up getting?