How to tell if car has moon and tunes or not

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
coldfusion11

How to tell if car has moon and tunes or not

Post by coldfusion11 »

Hello all, im new here and im asking a question for a friend of mine.She has a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. Her stock radio seems to be going out. It cuts out and pops and crackles the sound.I told her to just get an aftermarket unit installed.I found her a pioneer DEH-1100MP for cheap on http://www.sonicelectronix.comhttp://ww ... ..htmlWhen I put in vehicle information it doesnt ask if it has premium sound or not. I know that it has the little tweeters behind the side mirrors.Her husband installed infinity kappas in the doors (the ones with the external crossover) and everything seems to work fine. Im thinking that since the kappas run at 2 ohms, over time it fried the amplifier in the radio.I just need to know the basics of putting an aftermarket radio in this car with the listed modification and wondering if it has moon and tunes or not and if it changes the installation.Thanks for all your help and reading my long detailed post.
Joined here to ask questions about my friends 2003 Vibe M&T that I am currently working on here and there.
BlueCrush

Re: How to tell if car has moon and tunes or not (coldfusion11)

Post by BlueCrush »

Welcome to GenVibe! Sunroof = MoonSubwoofer in Cargo area & Amp under passenger's seat = Tunes
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
coldfusion11

Post by coldfusion11 »

Thank you for that information.Now, can you answer if the infinity kappas somehow damaged the stock radio? If it does has tunes package is there any special adapters or "boxes" needed when installing the pioneer radio?
Joined here to ask questions about my friends 2003 Vibe M&T that I am currently working on here and there.
Kari

Re: (coldfusion11)

Post by Kari »

03s with Moon & Tunes didn't have a stock subwoofer, just the amp under the seat.
GenVibe Global Moderator
coldfusion11

Post by coldfusion11 »

with that being said by Kari...Is there any special adapters needed to integrate new pioneer radio with the factory amplifier?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

the factory amp is pretty crappy. You should really consider upgrading it and the speakers.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
coldfusion11

Post by coldfusion11 »

unfortunately that is not my intent. Just need a new radio.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

then don't know what to tell you. I do know the factory amp runs on different ohm than the norm after market FYI. can't remember though, it's been way too long.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Blanco_Diablo

Re: How to tell if car has moon and tunes or not (coldfusion11)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I thought the M&T set-up ran at 2 ohms as well, but definitely not my expertise... sending out the bat signal for our local audio gurus
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Yes the full M&T system runs is 2 ohm, The factory radio has no internal amplifier just the amplifier under the seat.Is she getting the same symptoms from all speakers I.E. crackling, and pops? When did the problem start? it could be something as simple as a connection that could save some money.As for installing an aftermarket radio and keeping the factory amplifier you will need a hi/low converter such as the Scosche SLC-4 that will allow you to adjust the voltage coming from the aftermarket radio to match up with the input of the stock amplifier. here is a link to BlueCrushes HU install tutorial using said converter.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=37490
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
DoubleBaril

Post by DoubleBaril »

Another converter you can use is a PAC-OEM2, if you arent able to find the Scosche model.
2003 Vibe AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

in a 2003, the moon and tunes package is a sunroof, an amp under the front passenger seat, and tweeters in the front doors by the side view mirrors. None of those were available from th factory without the package, su its a fair assumption since that since it has the tweeters, it has the full package.The M&T radios are the same as the non-M&T radios