LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
oolunchbox

LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue

Post by oolunchbox »

I've successfully switched out all of my exterior bulbs for LEDs (except the headlights) and I am now running into the "hyper-flash" issue. I've tried looking at my fuse panel to find which flasher unit I need to order to correct this problem but I cannot seem to find it. Does anyone know which flasher unit I would need to order and where it is located? I'm hoping SuperBrightLEDs.com has the correct flasher unit. http://www.superbrightleds.com...asher I've lived with it for the past few days but it is really becoming annoying and I'm sure it just looks really silly to anyone behind me when I've got my turn signal on. On a side note, does anyone know why when i turn on my hazards they blink at the normal rate but when I use my turn signal they "hyper-flash"?
'04 Base Vibe Monotone Shadow - Moon & Tunes - Power PackageGrafxWerx Decals:Replacement Badges - CHMSL 'Vibe' Decal - Bordered Front Arrowhead - Bordered VVT-i (on fenders)Megan Racing Strut Tower Bar - Mid-Spoiler - 18" Maxim Ahead Wheels - LED Dome, Map, and All Exterior Bulbs - Gas Hood Shock Dampers - Color-Matched CAI & Engine Cover - Dropzone 2" Lowering SpringsPlannedColor-Matched Mirrors - Projector Headlights
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

Have a read at this: "Turn signal issues with LED bulbsLED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash). These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category."Source: http://www.superbrightleds.com...s.htm
oolunchbox

Re: (houseofbugs)

Post by oolunchbox »

I understand that, I am just trying to figure out which relay I need and where it is located in the fuse panel so I can order one that is LED compatible.
'04 Base Vibe Monotone Shadow - Moon & Tunes - Power PackageGrafxWerx Decals:Replacement Badges - CHMSL 'Vibe' Decal - Bordered Front Arrowhead - Bordered VVT-i (on fenders)Megan Racing Strut Tower Bar - Mid-Spoiler - 18" Maxim Ahead Wheels - LED Dome, Map, and All Exterior Bulbs - Gas Hood Shock Dampers - Color-Matched CAI & Engine Cover - Dropzone 2" Lowering SpringsPlannedColor-Matched Mirrors - Projector Headlights
oolunchbox

Re: (oolunchbox)

Post by oolunchbox »

nobody knows where the flasher relay is?
kostby

Re: LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue (oolunchbox)

Post by kostby »

EDIT - deleted - since it wasn't relevant to the question

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
tribalman

Re: (houseofbugs)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by houseofbugs »Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category."to me that means the resistor needs to be at the bulb, not the relay.
None. Vibe is gone.
oolunchbox

Re: LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue (kostby)

Post by oolunchbox »

I've done some more research and found the the flasher Module is not in the fuse box. I'm not sure where it is located yet but I've found that both AutoZone (http://www.autozone.com/autozo...=57-0) and SuperBrightLEDs.com sell the compatible flasher modules. Once I get mine in I'll figure out where it goes and post my findings in case anyone else is looking to move to LED turn signals.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by oolunchbox » I'm not sure where it is located yet You can get to it if you remove the little storage bin in the dash left of the steering wheel, under the mirror and dimmer controls. Open the bin, pull it up to disengage it from the dash, then tilt it to get it out of the hole. This will give you access to the top side of the under dash fuse block. The flasher is the device closest to the driver door side of that fuse/junction block. Not immediately obvious to me how to disengage it from the junction block, but I didn't need to, so I didn't try hard. Some sort of catch on the thing. To verify, remove the storage bin, turn on the emergency flashers, and you will be able to feel it clicking
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Hey Chris, do you have any pics of your LED's? Do you have the 3rd Brake LED as well? I didn't see any on your "home page" (lol)
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
oolunchbox

Re: LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue (BlueCrush)

Post by oolunchbox »

I have switched every exterior bulb except for my headlights to LED. I dont have pictures yet. I will try and get some soon and post up a garage thread.
tpollauf

Re: (tribalman)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by tribalman »to me that means the resistor needs to be at the bulb, not the relay.You are correct This would be the BEST solution. You would need TWO (one for each side) and likely solder them into the wiring harness outside the light assembly. This way if/when you replace a defective LED bulb assenbly, the load resistor will not have to be messed with EVER
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
oolunchbox

Re: LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue (joatmon)

Post by oolunchbox »

So I've got my LED-ready replacement flasher, I know where the flasher module is located, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the factory flasher unit. Clearly they are able to be replaced (otherwise why would manufacturers make replacements?) but I just cant seem to get it to budge. Anyone replaced their flasher module? Any advice on how to do it?
oolunchbox

Post by oolunchbox »

i've managed to remove the stock flasher module removed but not without breaking some pieces. at least i've got my flashers back to normal speed.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by oolunchbox »i've managed to remove the stock flasher module removed but not without breaking some pieces. at least i've got my flashers back to normal speed.Pics of the process?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
oolunchbox

Re: LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue (BlueCrush)

Post by oolunchbox »

I didnt document the process but i will snap some pics. there isnt a whole lot to show.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Quote, originally posted by oolunchbox »... breaking some pieces. I like pics of destruction.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
jessep19

Post by jessep19 »

I am doing the exact same thing you are doing. What was the electronic flasher relay you used?? I have the exact same problem and can't seem to find answers!! thanks!
SlammedNiss

Re: LED Turn Signals - "Hyper-Flash" Issue

Post by SlammedNiss »

2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SlammedNiss wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 am Image
:lol: :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
RDG25

Post by RDG25 »

10/16/2019 - Update - Now that I actually did it, LED flasher relay unit was very difficult to remove, thought I had to put an L-shaped object like an Allen wrench to push the middle pin in while pulling it up with the hand. Ultimately, what the Youtube video says is correct, just may not be as easy as he got it off. Push it out slightly while pushing it up. Part used was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWKL8VJ/ .