2003 base Vibe, power for aftermarket head unit and ill versus dimmer?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
fishek

2003 base Vibe, power for aftermarket head unit and ill versus dimmer?

Post by fishek »

Sorry if this has been answered in another post. I am about to replace the stock radio in my 2003 Vibe. The car has nothing fancy, no upgrade package, no nav system, 4 speakers.The harness that I got, the Metra 70-2003 came with an additional/alternate red ACC wire and the caveat that the stock radio harness coming from the vehicle doesn't provide this line for the deckSo, I expect Metra to know their product, but this sounds a little crazy. I suppose once I'm in there, the "Grey" wire per the wire guide seems to be the one to tap into. Thus far, the radio harness and Metra harness seemed to be relatively color standardized. The second issue, is that the Metra has both "illumination" and "dimmer." Since this car has its lights on all the time, does the steering column switch actually still register the state of the switch, or just the power state (on versus off, headlights)? This illumination info is used to compliment the day/night settings of the GPS, lighting. I'm inclined to just stay color-color as just about everything has matched up across the HU and car adapter harnesses. Essentially it's orange, versus orange/white. Again, no multimeter readings yet,Am I on track, headed towards disaster or what? If you've been down this path, what did you wind up doing.Any insight is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.