Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Nihilator

Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera!

Post by Nihilator »

Bought this for my wife's birthday, for installation in her new '09 AWD Vibe, back in August. Finally finished the installation today...wasn't tough, I just have commitment issues. Got this particular unit because (a) my wife didn't like the rear visibility of the Vibe, and I thought a backup camera would be an excellent addition, (b) she loves the Garmin navi interface, and (c) I wanted her to have a quality bluetooth handsfree setup.The unit came from Crutchfield ($1100) with a free Boyo backup camera ($0) and a Metra GMOS-LAN-01 GM Onstar LAN Data Bus Interface (half-price at $65 ... lets you keep your OnStar functionality...hardly necessary for most people, but as long as we're still in our free year...), free shipping, free adaptive wiring harnesses, free antenna adapter, free faceplate kit, etc. Also, a $100 rebate.Here's the unit installed:Powered on, showing the tuner function:The GPS antenna, snaked easily enough through the dash to the far right end of the defroster vent. They supplied a small flexible metal sticky pad so you could mount the antenna to your dash; I cut the pad so it fit perfectly in the little divot right next to the vent.The Garmin navi interface:The Boyo backup camera ... I don't expect it to remain shiny, as that seems to be the biggest complaint about it on Crutchfield's site, but it does the job. Had to drill a hole in the plate, an extra hole in the bumper skin, and I ran the wire for it through the same grommet that the license plate light is fed through. Then through the trunk area behind all the plastic trim to the passenger side, down the wheel hump, under the sill plates (routed along the same path as the wiring harness and the rear washer fluid hose), up under the glovebox and across the passenger footwell (under the carpet) and then up through the dash. Easy.And the view of the backup camera. It comes on automatically (after some wiring and some setup menu magic) when you put the car in reverse. Or when you press the NAV button for a second or longer. Kinda fun to turn it on while driving and watch the view from the license plate bracket.The microphone for the handsfree. Sounds great. Wife gave me a scare when she tried it out for the first time and couldn't hear me *at all*, but she had forgotten to turn the volume back up... Also, ignore the key scratches.The unit has a USB connector...attach a thumb drive with music on it, and it automatically plays. The connector is currently just loose in the glovebox. One of the source selection screens:It plays DVDs. You only need to ground the parking brake sensor wire...I just soldered it directly to the ground wire in the harness, since I was already there soldering the backup camera ground wire.Haven't gotten this to work completely, but you can send text messages through the bluetooth-connected phone.And, completely unrelated, my cat Porthos:--Chris
bull77

Post by bull77 »

holy crap that's a nice setup!!!nice work chris
03VibeOttawa

Re: Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera! (Nihilator)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Damn!!! that's slick slick slick!
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
kowell

Post by kowell »

That is awe-some!
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

The Mrs. won't let me install an aftermarket setup in the 09 Vibe. She does not like the Pioneer HU that in the 2008.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Very nice...
Nihilator

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by Nihilator »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »The Mrs. won't let me install an aftermarket setup in the 09 Vibe. She does not like the Pioneer HU that in the 2008. Mine generally lets me do what I want with the cars...that's my 'department', I suppose. But I made it more palatable by playing up the rearview camera and the Garmin navi on a BIG screen.The only thing I don't like about it so far is that when I start the car, the Kenwood shuts off and then comes back on again...like the radio is on the load reduction circuit. I want it to stay on while the car is cranking. Come to think of it, it doesn't come on when I have it on ACC, so I must have something wired wrong, still.--Chris
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

That is down right freaking fantastic Chris!BTW... the key scratches Does your wife drive drunk a lot??? lol JK... I haven't seen scratchs that bad in years.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Vibe2009

Re: Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera! (keithvibe)

Post by Vibe2009 »

Red Hot Metallic 2.4L, 5sp Auto, 17" Chrome Clad wheels, XM
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I should say! Porthos is an understatement.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
BiggieBoy

Post by BiggieBoy »

Fantastic job. That is one sweet set-up.
2009 Pontiac Vibe Red Hot Metallic, 2.4L w/5 speed auto., Sun & Sound Pkg., Preferred Pkg., A/C.2009 GMC Acadia SLT-2 AWD"If a man does his best, what else is there?"-- General George S. Patton Jr.
Thunderscreech

Re: Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera! (BiggieBoy)

Post by Thunderscreech »

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Was it tricky to run the wire for the camera from the door to the frame? Did you need to take the door off to get access?
2003 Bare Bones
hskater26

Re: Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera! (Thunderscreech)

Post by hskater26 »

awesome.
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
Banjovibe

Post by Banjovibe »

Hi. I'd like to update the software and download maps, etc. to the Garmin Navigator in my dnx6140. I have tried putting the update file on the CD, but the unit doesn't recognize it? Any suggestions? Thanks
We live our lives by the choices we make. I chose Vibe
streblo

Post by streblo »

Looks nice, im putting in the 418 with a non kenwood backup camera, where did you tie in the reverse sensor wire to behind the dash?
2003 GT - 80k - K&N SRI - Painted & Machined Rims - Kenwood System - Lowered - June 2012 VOTM
Garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38793
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

cool cat!ah.. and nice setup too.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
bigdaddyjosh

Re: Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera! (cythraul)

Post by bigdaddyjosh »

Wow. Nice install! Wish my install was as nice. My clarion radio is to wide for the dash kit so it sits recessed, not flush like yours. I guess its time for a new deck.
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH HU Polk Audio DB-6501 Components Pioneer GM-6400F Amplifier K&N drop-in filter Fiberglass Sub box w/10" Cerwin Vega
pilarskica

Re: Installed! Kenwood DNX6140 with backup camera!

Post by pilarskica »

Nihilator wrote:Bought this for my wife's birthday, for installation in her new '09 AWD Vibe, back in August. Finally finished the installation today...wasn't tough, I just have commitment issues. Got this particular unit because (a) my wife didn't like the rear visibility of the Vibe, and I thought a backup camera would be an excellent addition, (b) she loves the Garmin navi interface, and (c) I wanted her to have a quality bluetooth handsfree setup.The unit came from Crutchfield ($1100) with a free Boyo backup camera ($0) and a Metra GMOS-LAN-01 GM Onstar LAN Data Bus Interface (half-price at $65 ... lets you keep your OnStar functionality...hardly necessary for most people, but as long as we're still in our free year...), free shipping, free adaptive wiring harnesses, free antenna adapter, free faceplate kit, etc. Also, a $100 rebate.Here's the unit installed:Powered on, showing the tuner function:The GPS antenna, snaked easily enough through the dash to the far right end of the defroster vent. They supplied a small flexible metal sticky pad so you could mount the antenna to your dash; I cut the pad so it fit perfectly in the little divot right next to the vent.The Garmin navi interface:The Boyo backup camera ... I don't expect it to remain shiny, as that seems to be the biggest complaint about it on Crutchfield's site, but it does the job. Had to drill a hole in the plate, an extra hole in the bumper skin, and I ran the wire for it through the same grommet that the license plate light is fed through. Then through the trunk area behind all the plastic trim to the passenger side, down the wheel hump, under the sill plates (routed along the same path as the wiring harness and the rear washer fluid hose), up under the glovebox and across the passenger footwell (under the carpet) and then up through the dash. Easy.And the view of the backup camera. It comes on automatically (after some wiring and some setup menu magic) when you put the car in reverse. Or when you press the NAV button for a second or longer. Kinda fun to turn it on while driving and watch the view from the license plate bracket.The microphone for the handsfree. Sounds great. Wife gave me a scare when she tried it out for the first time and couldn't hear me *at all*, but she had forgotten to turn the volume back up... Also, ignore the key scratches.The unit has a USB connector...attach a thumb drive with music on it, and it automatically plays. The connector is currently just loose in the glovebox. One of the source selection screens:It plays DVDs. You only need to ground the parking brake sensor wire...I just soldered it directly to the ground wire in the harness, since I was already there soldering the backup camera ground wire.Haven't gotten this to work completely, but you can send text messages through the bluetooth-connected phone.And, completely unrelated, my cat Porthos:--Chris

How did you fish that GPS antenna through the defrost vent?