Installed 4 Polk db651 speakers in non moon&tune vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
zdkaiser

Installed 4 Polk db651 speakers in non moon&tune vibe

Post by zdkaiser »

Hey everyone,Just wanted to make a little post about my speaker installation I did last night. Maybe it will help others in the future....Anyways, i put 4 Polk db651 speakers in my 2007 base Vibe. All the speakers were 6.5inch coaxials.Here are the details. For the rear speakers, I used the Polk supplied speaker brackets and had to drill one new hole in the door frame. It went smoothly. I used the wiring adapter harness from crutchfield. Easy remove and replace operation. As for the fronts, I had to get somewhat creative. Others have noted that when using the aftermarket brackets, the speakers with a depth greater than that of the stocks (which I believe are 2.4") would keep the front windows from moving all the way down. This is true. So... some use the gutted stock speaker brackets to alleviate this problem.I tried something a bit different, and it seemed quite successful. I stacked two brackets, one supplied by Crutchfield and one included with the Polks. Between the brackets I put a piece of foam stripping, which I removed from the back of the stock speaker bracket. Part of the foam still had an adhesive glue on it, causing the two brackets to stick together and almost seem like one piece. I then drilled one new hole in the door panel and connected the speaker. This allowed the window to have enough room to go down all the way. The speakers in the front do not rub on the door at all either (even with the tweets sticking out a bit), so it seems like a good fit.Just an idea for anyone out there putting in some new speakers. By the way, this was really only an option because I ordered from Crutchfield and had all those extra (free) speaker brackets laying around.Also, the speakers seem to be very secure in the doors.Sorry I dont have pics. I was so excited to be putting in the new speakers that I didn't even think to take pictures. Plus, I was sort of just winging it anyways.Thanks to all on the forum who helped me research speaker installations. This forum is a great help.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yes you did get creative! How much space do you have from the back of the speaker? Appreciate the update! How do the Polks sound???
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
BlueCrush

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by cptnsolo77 »How do the Polks sound???x2
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
zdkaiser

Post by zdkaiser »

I am not sure how much space there is behind the speaker magnet. I just know there is enough space that the window isn't hitting it. If I would have to guess, I would say maybe a half inch (maybe less).
zdkaiser

Post by zdkaiser »

As for the Polks, I think they sound very good. I have only listened to them for a few hours, so things will definitely change as they break in some. This is what they sound like as of now:The bass is present. Lots of bass actually. They have a nice kick to them. THe highs are clear. The tweets do a lovely job. THe sound seems really clear. I think after say 40hrs of playing the speakers will sound incredible. They ARE LOUD. I am merely running them through a 17RMS Sony HU with 52watts x4 peak.For $50 a pair at Crutchfield (going on now) you cannot go wrong. I'd tell everyone to buy a pair.
zdkaiser

Post by zdkaiser »

Oh... I mostly listen to rock, reggae, electronic music. THe bob marley, p. floyd, radiohead, and NIN sounded amazing. Clear sound, good instrument separation, and no muddiness whatsoever. Glad to get those Mexican made 17.5watt stock speakers out.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Kool. I really want to buy the DB651 when I get the chance. I have the stock head unit which is enough for me, I just want a good speaker upgrade. I believe you are the second member to install the DB651 in the vibe & have heard no comlplaints. Nice to hear they have some bass! Thx again for updating us. Posts like these are always helpfull.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Tonebalone

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by Tonebalone »

I just finished installing four db651 ispeakers in my '09 today. The difference is quite remarkable - I can actually hear the piano notes on Supertramp's "Rudy", then the bass kicks in nice and loud and clean.I used the "hollowed out stock speaker" method discussed in previous threads. It's a good way to avoid clearance issues, and the coaxial tweeter fits the door just fine. There is no other good use for the stock speaker; it is pure junk. I used Scosche Toyota speaker harnesses; first I removed the stock connector, threaded the new connector pigtail through the resulting hole, and sealed the hole with silicone caulk. The harness adapters needed a squeeze with a pair of needle-nose pliers to ensure a good grip on the terminal tabs. #14 3/4 inch panhead sheet metal screws were used to attach the original speaker brackets up to the original rivet holes.Crutchfield has these speakers half off right now, so a set of four came to $107 with shipping. They ship fast! And they include brackets (unneeded) and the harness adapters. All in all, this is a highly worthwhile upgrade. The stock head unit is not too bad when paired with some decent speakers.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Nice... Congratz...
pacerman

Re: Installed 4 Polk db651 speakers in non moon&tune vibe (zdkaiser)

Post by pacerman »

Hi I'm installing the same speakers in my 05 Vibe, just wondering what the thickness of the stacked adaptors was?? How thick was the piece of foam you used when it was compressed?Thanks in advanceI also just installed a JVC KW-810 DD HU love the colors!!!UPDATE: well I installed the Polk db651's in the rear and ended up buying a pair of Hertz dcx 165's in the fronts. Used the OEM speaker spacer as others have done. I preferred 10-24 nutserts that I installed in the doors to affix the plastic adaptor.I loctited the outside of the nutsert when crimping into the door skin, and siliconed the mounting machine screws. The Hertz's had approx 3/8" to spare between the window and magnet, and no interference with the cone or tweeter with the door panel.Just time consuming to gut the oem speaker surrounds. Also the Hertz does not come with adaptor rings, or foam gasket. The screw nuts are cheap (another reason I went with threaded nutserts).I think it sounds terrific for a non sub'd system. PS:: I have pictures if anyone is interested.
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Just as a side note I installed the shallow mount DB651 up front & they still sound amazing for a shallow mounts without the extra work with the speaker brackets. When I get the chance I will treat myself to another set of Polks for the rear. Great sounding speaker!
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs