Got the Avic Z3 installed, whoo-hoo!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
MSAGRO

Got the Avic Z3 installed, whoo-hoo!

Post by MSAGRO »

Looks and sounds great, easy navigation, much like my Avic D1, but lightyears ahead in technology.Even has a Harddrive so no more CD's in the car. And a goofy diagnostic screen.Very happy with unit.
bodhi_tree777

Re: Got the Avic Z3 installed, whoo-hoo! (MSAGRO)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

that looks sweet. All of a sudden you've got me thinking of installing a nav system in my car.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
MSAGRO

Post by MSAGRO »

Thanks bodhi, tight fitting a 7 inch screen in a Vibe, much trimming involved.Great unit, bluetooth, voice activated Nav.You say oh... "Tacobell" and all the Tacobell's in a 5 mile radius shows up.You just say a name like my GF "Sharon" and the bluetooth will start dialing her house.Just too cool, still figuring out the features of this thing.Even shows landmarks in photo form. Sheesh.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Nice!!!there is only one problem with nav!!! I will admit it others may not.It makes you lazy!!!!I am not even sure if I can read a map any moreAron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
MSAGRO

Post by MSAGRO »

I agree audiovibe.I program my Safeway 3 miles down the road, pathetic aint it.However my sister is moving to Sandy Oregon and I got her address, it's in the country so It will come in handy then.Cool system, you don't type in the address, you say it in the microphone, State, city, Street, House number. Just way too cool.
bodhi_tree777

Re: (MSAGRO)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

How is it's response time if you go off of its suggested path? How quick is it to recalculate for you?You don't happen to have photos of the install, do you? Curious what you had to trim. Thanks for the pics
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

nice...Looks good did a good job trimming the bottom of the adapter to get it to fit.Side note... ever wonder why people do the things they do.... for instance. You have your fan on, you have it set for cold, it's set for AC, then you have it directed at the upper vents... but yet it looks like you have all your upper vents closed in every photo... HA
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Very interesting. I'm almost tempted to get one, though I can't justify the price.I wonder if someone could swap out the hard drive with a larger capacity one?
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Looks great!!Let's just hope you can keep it... You just installed a billboard for thieves..
MSAGRO

Re: Got the Avic Z3 installed, whoo-hoo! (keithvibe)

Post by MSAGRO »

Bodhii, it's a HD based Navigation, not a DVD one, the recalculations are almost instantanious.Had it professionally installed, but I asked many questions.He had to side trim the mounting frame to fit and made custom mounting tabsin back frame to secure, this unit is 'locked in with four bolts in back of the dashframe. The thing is solidly put in, no shake on the unit at all.It would be difficult to steal because the thief would have to undo 4 bolts behind the unit to abscond with it. He could take it, but with much work.
MSAGRO

Re: Got the Avic Z3 installed, whoo-hoo! (Herb)

Post by MSAGRO »

Very observant keithvibe.I shut the vents for photographic reasons, I think they look better closed for pictures. (if I remember to shut them that is)
MSAGRO

Post by MSAGRO »

Thanks sublimewind for the complement.I know about the 'billboard' effect.I can only take just so many precautions.I have the motion sensor Viper system installed with keyfob control.Just for kicks I tested it. If you push down on the shocks with your hand, the 100db alarm goes off, if you rap any window with your fist, the alarm kicks off, if you reach in with windows rolled down and alarm set, open door from inside the alarm wails.I don't really know what else to do. I have never had a stereo stolen from my vehicle, and I have had high end units in the past.I know that no vehicle is theft proof, but I may have discouraged about 97% of them... the other 3%?They can go (asterik) themselves.Plus sublime, if you have any suggestions on how to make my Vibe more secure, I would love to hear from you.MSAGRO
MSAGRO

Re: Got the Avic Z3 installed, whoo-hoo! (Herb)

Post by MSAGRO »

Herb, dunno if one could swap out the harddrive in the Z3It's 30gig and it can hold 2000 songs. This should be enough for now.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Nice Deck!! Herb if I upgrade you can have my old one lol.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
MSAGRO

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by MSAGRO »

Thanks celtic,This was considered the best Nav unit of 2008 by critics.I love it, with the HD system instead of a DVD, the route calculations are instantanious.Plus this is a discontinued item and can be had for 600 dollars less than list price now.Another thing, the new 'upgraded' model the AVIC-z110 doesn NOT have a harddrive for storing music, a glaring omission.http://www.pioneerelectronics....110BTI love the 10Gig drive, no more CD's in the car and up to 2500 songs.The Z-3 would be a great choice for the Vibe.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Quote, originally posted by MSAGRO »I have never had a stereo stolen from my vehicle, and I have had high end units in the past.I have had a high dollar system ripped off before, it was one of the worst feelings I have ever had, but that was before I started securing stuff down and tring my best to conceal the equipment.Quote, originally posted by MSAGRO »if you have any suggestions on how to make my Vibe more secure.you could drill a hole in the support beam behind the radio, tap the hole, and use a back strap (the metal strip with holes that comes wit radios for those that didn't know)and screw one end to the support beam and the other behind the radio. You should be able to reach behind the radio if you remove the HVAC controls.Will the avics allow you to connect 160gb+ external drives? I think I recall where the PIO head units let you connect up to a 250gb portable drive.It is nice never having to change cds, makes me think twice about adding the CD player to my system.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
MSAGRO

Re: Got the Avic Z3 installed, whoo-hoo! (audiovibe)

Post by MSAGRO »

I can imagine the feeling aron, I would dream of killing them in my sleep and other psychotic thoughts.Good idea on the backstrap. Im putting in a bluetooth unit tomorrow and I have some 10 inch straps to secure. Just for fun I may razor sharpen each end, so that if a thief does try to take the unit he will be in for a nasty suprise if he decided to grab them while boosting the thing. (hmm.. psychotic thoughts indeed)As far as the external HD is concerned, I read on the avic411.com website that this could be done.I think the storage of 2000 songs it already has is enough tho.Again thanks for the great advice audiovibe.Have a great weekend!MSAGRO
Herb

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Nice Deck!! Herb if I upgrade you can have my old one lol.Thanks for the offer. Anyways, I probably won't go that route, mostly because I worry about the so called "billboard" effectAnd considering I usually listen to just 660 News, I can hardly justify anything better than the stock head unit
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
MSAGRO

Re: (Herb)

Post by MSAGRO »

Ahhh, Herb.Ya gotta have tunes, just gotta!Nothin' like cruising down the freeway with Mike Ness, Social D' and Golden Earring's "Radar Love" cranked.Talk radio would give me a condition called "Narcolepsy" while driving.MSAGRO
Herb

Re: (MSAGRO)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by MSAGRO »Ahhh, Herb.Ya gotta have tunes, just gotta!Nothin' like cruising down the freeway with Mike Ness, Social D' and Golden Earring's "Radar Love" cranked.Talk radio would give me a condition called "Narcolepsy" while driving.MSAGROWell it's no slouch. I got the "Moons & Tunes" package, which has a 200w 6 CD changer, 6 speaker system. If I wanted to load up on some music, I can take along some CDs, and would do so if driving long distance. The only drawback to more 'modern' users is that there isn't a built in auxiliary input or easy alternative to connect the stock system.