Gauge Cluster swap with a TWIST!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
PimpinMatrix

Gauge Cluster swap with a TWIST!

Post by PimpinMatrix »

Hoping someone can help me with a little delimia I'm having.I own a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 Speed Manual. I purchased a 2005 Toyota Matrix Cluster (wanted the whiter LED lights instead of the stock red) and noticed two things on the new cluster once I installed it.1. The gas gauge never goes down. - It knows where my gas level was from the swap but afterwards never goes down so it doesn't work. Can I get this fixed somehow?2. TPMS - On the 2003 I don't have Tire Pressure Sensors - How can I disable this annoying red light from glowing other then using black electrical tape.Thanks!Dragan
UPGRADES
- TRD Strut Tower
- TRD Coilovers
- Progressive Rear Sway Bar
- BMW Custom Projectors
- Hella Supertone Horns
- 18" - KDW 2 Tires
- 18" - TSW Snetterton Wheels
- LED Display Cluster Upgrade
- LED Interior & Exterior Upgrade
kevera

Re: Gauge Cluster swap with a TWIST! (PimpinMatrix)

Post by kevera »

First of all,the 03-04 cluster is different than the 05+ cluster.The 05+ has an extra connector on it,that the 03-04 don't have.So it will not work.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you want to get away frlom the red, just do an LED swap. Check my sig for the link.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
PimpinMatrix

Post by PimpinMatrix »

Thanks everyone. Rats!Wolfman, I'll check out your post thanks!
UPGRADES
- TRD Strut Tower
- TRD Coilovers
- BMW Custom Projectors
- Hella Supertone Horns
- 18" - KDW 2 Tires
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

too bad about the cluster. There should be a way to invent some electronic interface to make it work, but it might be better to just try to find an 04 cluster (metric GT/XRS) than to make the 05 one work.Nice to see you back, it's been, what, five years? Ever get those rotors off?
PimpinMatrix

Re: (joatmon)

Post by PimpinMatrix »

Hey joatmon,I agree... Its good bad I didn't look into it more before I purchased them off eBay but I got them for a decent price so its not that bad. I think if I just get a 04 cluster I should be okay? Any thoughts? I believe the 03-04's are the same other then the LED lights correct!Anyways... 5 YEARS! Really... Sad I haven't been on much... Family and young kids keep me busy these days. I'm more a long time listener (reader) then a poster! Nope I never did get the rotors off haha. If I remember correctly I somehow had Toyota replace them for me under warranty and I got a sweet set that where black coated so sweet no more rust!Cars been running really well, I've upgraded my transmission fluid to synthetic "Redline MT90" Wow what a huge difference. And also upgraded that crappy Serpentine Belt to a Gatorback never had any issues once! I also upgraded my lights to custom Projector Lights that I had someone make for me using BMW projectors they have been running really well for the past 2 years without any problems. Then the last step was to replace all my bulbs with LED bulbs and that project was done last year So there you have it Cheers!
UPGRADES
- TRD Strut Tower
- TRD Coilovers
- BMW Custom Projectors
- Hella Supertone Horns
- 18" - KDW 2 Tires
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I actually have an 04 cluster that I was initially going to do my trial LED swap on, however, it's a US spec which would do you no good. I have some thoughts on this though. As long as the idiot lights are in the exact same position between the 03 and 04, I believe that we could just swap out the black number/guage pieces and you could have the 04 look. The only think I'm not sure of is if the 03 uses red leds or not. If it uses red LEDs, then it would be a pointless swap; however if they use white leds with the red just being a red "film" then you will have the desired look.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
PimpinMatrix

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by PimpinMatrix »

Hey Wolfman213,Yeah I'm not sure, I think they are red LEDs but someone will have to confirm. It would be so nice just to add this to my list and then my car will be done.Cheers!
UPGRADES
- TRD Strut Tower
- TRD Coilovers
- BMW Custom Projectors
- Hella Supertone Horns
- 18" - KDW 2 Tires
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Anyone that has first had experience or knowledge of the 03 & 04's want to chime in? I've personally never seen an 03 in person.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'm pretty sure the 03's had red lights behind the red label.for Pimpin's trix, he;d either need to find a canadian 04 GT/XRS cluster, or swap the lights and labels. The GT/XRS had a higher redline tach, and I think a higher max on the speedometer than the base/awd cluster. The canadian clusters got trip/odometer in km instead of miles, and they also got the low washer fluid warning light
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

They do that in order to keep the odomoeter accurate.
SonicThunder88

Re: (PimpinMatrix)

Post by SonicThunder88 »

Hey PimpinMatrix - I notice you're from Kitchener, Ontario, do you still reside in Kitchener? You'll notice under my avatar that I'm from Kitchener too and I would love to see that projector headlight setup and the LED light changeover on your car. Do you get out to some of the Tim Horton's at night? I'm looking to change out my bulbs in our Vibe and my IROC-Z for some LED's but I really want to see that projection light change-over. Please let me know.