My Underseat Subwoofer Box is Complete!!!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
skylinedrifter

My Underseat Subwoofer Box is Complete!!!

Post by skylinedrifter »

It took a year and 3 failures, but I have finally built a subwoofer box that both sounds good and fits underneath my seat. w00t!No, it isn't going to wake the neighbors, but inside the car it sounds pretty damned good, IMHO.Oh... one more thing to note.... if I could have taken it down approx 1/4 inch, I would have an easier time sliding my seat further back. As it is, I can still move the seat but tolerances are tight.Material: 1/2 Inch MDFLength: 24 InchesUnderseat width: 12 InchesRear Floor Width: 19 InchesHeight: 3.9 inchesPort Height: 2.9 inPort Width: 1 inchPort Length: 6.76 InSpeaker: Pioneer TS-SW251And here, my friends, are some pics:
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

hahahahaha (removed) lemme get the dimensions so i can build 2. one for m seat and one for my girlfriends...... lol she'll LOVE it
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

looks great...nice job
scherry2

Re: My Underseat Subwoofer Box is Complete!!! (skylinedrifter)

Post by scherry2 »

excellent!! I'd like to hear that. whats it like sitting in the back seat? do your knees seem kinda high?
L5K

Post by L5K »

What kind of sound do you get from that? I'm thinking of building a similarly shaped box but hiding it inside the panel at the right rear of the car. I need to do more measurements, but as long as an unorthodox shape works fine, then I should be able to figure out a .5 cu ft or so box for one of the slim Fosgates.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

That's really nice man..!! Good job..!!I wish I had known you were going to do that, I would have simply suggested a small box that would fit in the rear foot-well.. then you could have just removed it, should you need the space.. You could have used a conventional sub that way, instead of the flat sub.. (they don't sound quite as good as a conventional sub, for some reason)You had your reasons, I'm not dissin, believe me... Congratz...!! What are you powering it with?
skylinedrifter

Re: (L5K)

Post by skylinedrifter »

scherry2 - Sitting in the back seat is fine for an average-sized guy like me and the kids (two 9 year old boys) will have absolutely no problem at all.L5K - The sound is good. I won't be winning any competitions nor will I shake the neighbors out of bed when I come home late, but when you are sitting anywhere inside the car, it does an excellent job of delivering some solid bass.Sublimewind - I thought about going with a box that would just sit in the rear foot-well but I wanted something slim enough that people could still comfortably rest their feet on and that would take up little enough space that I would not have to remove it. Also, I completely get what you are saying about the slims. This is not the best sounding sub I have ever had, but I am happy with the compromise in sound for the savings in space.Finally, I am powering it with an Infinity Reference 5350a, probably one of the best amps I have ever owned.
L5K

Post by L5K »

Awesome. I don't need to shake and rattle everything outside the car so I'm sure the Rockford Fosgate P3S sub will be fine. Who knows... Maybe if the box is easy enough to design and construct I'll venture to put another in the other rear corner.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
Sublimewind

Re: (skylinedrifter)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by skylinedrifter »Sublimewind - I thought about going with a box that would just sit in the rear foot-well but I wanted something slim enough that people could still comfortably rest their feet on and that would take up little enough space that I would not have to remove it. Also, I completely get what you are saying about the slims. This is not the best sounding sub I have ever had, but I am happy with the compromise in sound for the savings in space.Finally, I am powering it with an Infinity Reference 5350a, probably one of the best amps I have ever owned. Fair enough..!!! I'm happy you are happy.. that's what really counts..!!
shane_c

Post by shane_c »

Nice job!There used to be another thread on here of a different underseat box using an 8" RF Punch sub but I can't seem to find it using the search. Does anyone happen to have a link to it? I no longer have a Vibe but was going to make one for my Forester.
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (shane_c)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

So you only lose 3.9" depth of foot space?Job well done, man! And it looks killer too. How easy is it to remove? Just slide the seat up and lift it out?
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I would worry about the sub getting poked by feet. Is there enough room to put a grill over it? Something like this.http://www.amazon.com/Subwoofe...YVS0A
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

I like the idea. I was thinking of trying to make something along these lines for my Kicker's. Anyone know how the new Kicker shallow mount subs are? they should deliver better than the pioneers...
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

I would like some dimensions too... I may make one for the fun of it....
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU