Purchased a new gauge cluster!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Wolfman213

Purchased a new gauge cluster!

Post by Wolfman213 »

I found one on ebay for 35 with shipping and decided to snag it up. I've spoke before about wanting to swap out the leds for a more blue theme. I know there are guys on ebay selling kits already, but I wanted to know exactly what I needed so I can give it more of a customized look as opposed to everything being blue. I will keep this thread updated with the progress including pics and possible a write up/how to later on.Am I correct in saying that as far as swapping the clusters out, I simply need to go to a GM dealership and have them reprogram it and that's it?
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
ColonelPanic

Re: Purchased a new gauge cluster! (Wolfman213)

Post by ColonelPanic »

The cluster will work by simply plugging it in, but the problem is that the odometer reading is stored in the cluster itself. So your new cluster is going to read whatever mileage that it had on it when it was removed from the previous car. It isn't something that a dealer can reprogram.If your new cluster has more mileage on it than your original one, you're screwed. If the new one has less, check this thread out on how you could run up the mileage to match your original cluster. You could always use the new cluster as a guinea pig -- swap the LED's on that one first, if the outcome is favorable you can then tear into the original one.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Ahh I thought that they were able to be reprogrammed with the correct odometer readings. Oh well, like you said, at least it will be a good guinea pig and I can tinker with it as much as possible.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
joatmon

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by joatmon »

I'd say mess with the new one, then if you are able to get it to the state you want to use it for real, you can send it off to whatever place the GM shop would send it off to to get the odometer set. The GM shop near me would send stuff like that to a place called SPECMODealerships don't replace clusters often enough to justify having the equipment, training, and liability required to do it in house. also check out sektor's posts in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=32956 I've been meaning to try that, just keep not getting around to it
Sublimewind

Re: (joatmon)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I'd say mess with the new one, then if you are able to get it to the state you want to use it for real, you can send it off to whatever place the GM shop would send it off to to get the odometer set. The GM shop near me would send stuff like that to a place called SPECMODealerships don't replace clusters often enough to justify having the equipment, training, and liability required to do it in house. also check out sektor's posts in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=32956 I've been meaning to try that, just keep not getting around to itOr simply use the new cluster to do your R&D and when you have what you want, do it to the original and toss the other, or sell it...
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I received the "new" cluster today. As i'm trying to dismantle it, I'm having issues removing the needles for the gauges. Does anyone have any tips for removing them? I'm not really wanting to break them and I feel the I'm about to.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

the shoudl just pull off. You nmight need to pry them off carefully. Take's more force than you feel like you should have to use.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot then.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I've ran into another problem on taking apart the gauges. Does anyone know how to properly remove the LCD info board? It's connected with several thin metal wires. That's, I believe, the last piece of the puzzle holding me back from gaining access to all the leds.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I've completed the led swap on my gauge cluster!! I have the one I purchased off of ebay tore down still, but I got to thinking if I mock up the 04 cluster, I'm then going to have to either buy more leds or remove then and the put them on mine. So i decided to pull mine saturday night and finished it yesterday. I will be posting pic in my garage probably tomorrow (if i can ever get a good picture!!) and will start on a write up today.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Are you installing the cluster in your Vibe??I was going to install an 05 cluster in my 04 and it didn't work.There was an extra plug on the 05+'s.Might want to make sure it works before you go too far with this one.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Oh, no, not the 04. I did notice the extra plug when I took out mine, the 06. I initially bought the 04 so i could just do some test runs so determine a color scheme.
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

oh yeah, i forgot about that... they added several new indicators on the 05+ for vsc, tpms and the like... hence the extra wiring.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

That's what I figured for the extra wiring, but I didn't know for sure when all the extra's were added. Also, not sure when they done this, but the leds on the 04 seemed to be lower quality than the 06. Certain ones seemed to separate, kinda like it was two separate pieces. Then the bottom part was a nightmare to remove. The 06, however, were able to be removed with little problems, of course the occasional stubborn one.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I have completed the How To for this. Here is the thread!