Suggestions for wrapping sub box

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Wolfman213

Suggestions for wrapping sub box

Post by Wolfman213 »

I had my cousin build my box bc he is excellent with building stuff out of wood. Even though I thought it would be fun to try, I wanted it done right the first time too! Anyways, now my problem is figuring out what to wrap it in. I know carpet is the top choice for most and some use vinyl, which I've considered as well, but I'd like to know if there are any other options out there.I've thought about Herculining it to match my hatch area as you can see in my garage. It would be something different, but not sure how that would hold up or adhere to MDF. Just looking for something different I guess.Also, does the box rattling stop once you have the sub in it? Right now mine is rattling like crazy in the back, but it's simple just the box itself right now.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

herculining would most likely work and would be pretty sweet. you'd have a very stable almost indestructable box. just do a lil adhesion test on a small area of the box(the bottom would be best) or on a scrap piece if you have any. that will tell you for sure if it will work. as for the rattling, if you mean the box is rattling around against everything else in the back then you really need to secure it better before you put your speakers in it. ive been considering removing my subs, drilling down through and bolting my box to the floor panel. but even just strapping it in will do the trick. plus idk if i want to drill holes in my floor
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'm leaning towards the herculiner with the same thoughts as you. Do you think it would affect the bass being more of a rubberized (i guess best way to categorize is) material than typical carpet? I plan on looking this weekend for ways to strap or bolt it in there, just haven't gotten around to that part of it yet.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
Sublimewind

Re: Suggestions for wrapping sub box (Wolfman213)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »I had my cousin build my box bc he is excellent with building stuff out of wood. Even though I thought it would be fun to try, I wanted it done right the first time too! Anyways, now my problem is figuring out what to wrap it in. I know carpet is the top choice for most and some use vinyl, which I've considered as well, but I'd like to know if there are any other options out there.I've thought about Herculining it to match my hatch area as you can see in my garage. It would be something different, but not sure how that would hold up or adhere to MDF. Just looking for something different I guess.Also, does the box rattling stop once you have the sub in it? Right now mine is rattling like crazy in the back, but it's simple just the box itself right now.If your box is rattling, something isn't affixed properly... Got any pics? Sounds like something didn't get glued up properly.. A solid box, should sound like concrete, it shouldn't rattle in any way.. AFA covering it... The Herculiner sounds cool... I've "fleckstoned" hundreds of boxes over the years (when working production) which is a paint you can get from Home Depot.. looks like granite.. also, once you figure out the rattle, go over EVERY exterior seam of the box (but from the inside of the box) with caulk of some sort... Seal that sucker TIGHT.. Tighter the better.. Pics would help a lot... plus, I just like seeing other peoples work...
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I guess i should clarify, the rattling isn't the box as far as the design, it's simply the box as a whole bc it's just in the cargo area not tied down or anything yet. Basically, when I picked it up from my cuz, I have yet to take it out of the Vibe.Herculiner it is!! I'll probably get it done next weekend. Did you have to do any surface prep on the MDF when you done the "fleckstone"?I'll try and get some pics of the box on here tonight. The only thing that I seen that could have been better, not that I really know what I'm looking for, is the speaker hole is a little too close to the port hole. But you will see that tonight.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I thought I took better pictures, but it wasa hard to see on my phone, but hopefully you get the picture.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Box looks good!!! the only thing I would change is to round over the port to help eliminate port noise.X2 on caulking the insides, the pressure will always find the small cracks and will make some odd noises.Steve meade (of SMD Designs) uses a product like Herculiner on a lot of his enclosures.When you get the enclosure installed toss a mat or something under it to stop the vibration from transferring to the plastic. Even while strapped down you could get some rattles.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'll be working on the box this weekend. Is there anything special that I need to do to prep the box for Herculiner or will it apear fine since I'm applying it to a porous material? Also, what excatly do you mean by rounding the port? I don't know anything about wood (mdf) working and I'm just wondering if it's even something that I can do.
Sublimewind

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »I'll be working on the box this weekend. Is there anything special that I need to do to prep the box for Herculiner or will it apear fine since I'm applying it to a porous material? Also, what excatly do you mean by rounding the port? I don't know anything about wood (mdf) working and I'm just wondering if it's even something that I can do.You may want to contact Herculiner FIRST and ask them what they would suggest for wood prep... I would think priming it first with some paint would help.. I can't say though... AFA as rounding over the port, maybe your cousin could help with that, again actually.. See the edges where the air would exit the port... that 90 degree angle there will "catch" air and create a "chuffing" sound.. You can battle this by "rounding over" the edges of the wood right there... Your cousin could use a router and a 1/2" round over bit, and clean that right up... The Inner port edge, inside of the box, well, you'll want to get after that with some sandpaper... you want to try and get at least a 1/2" radius on those particular edges... basically anywhere the air passes into or out of the port..
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Ok. My dad had a really nice PA setup. He had Peavy SP-5's. The larger 12 he ran for the mids and for the tweets, we called it a horn driver. It basically was a smooth angle all the way to the edge. Is that what I'm trying to accomplish? I know they are two different concepts, but from what you describeed, I'm envisioning the smoth horn driver there. So I'm going to get the edge of the whole port to flow smooth so the sounds "rolls" off instead of "falls" off the edge, right?Sorry for being such a dunce at this, but I knew there were a couple of audio GODS in here that could answer these things.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

You got it man... you can't really cut a "horn" like anything now that it's all put together, but you can round the edge over.. This is exactly what i'm referring to... both bit and edge...
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

That's exactly what I was thinking of! How the corner is rounded. I'm sure he would have understood exactly what I was talking about, but I just wanted to maked sure I knew what I was talking about. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post pics after I finish it this weekend!!
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Almost got the box complete now. It's all covered in Herculiner. I was even able to add the Vibe and Pontiac logo's to and covered them in it too. I was going for more of an embossed look and think it turned out pretty good.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Pappa like... lol
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I plan on finishing it up this weekend, with the exception of the leds. I plan on spraying the port with black. Then once I get the led strip, inserting that in the port and connecting to a music interface then to once of my switches.