Turning off headlights 09 Vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
vibenvy

Re: (CaptTom)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by CaptTom »I did the snip this morning. 100% effective. I'm sooooo much happier now that *I* have some say as to when the lights come on!Congratulations on regaining control of the lights !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Jims08Vibe

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by Jims08Vibe »

Procedure the same for 2008? I HATE the lack of control over the lights!
Not just gramma's car K&N air filterCold air intake (using only OEM parts)Xenon headlampsEnkei rims (for the summer)
keithvibe

Re: (Jims08Vibe)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Jims08Vibe »Procedure the same for 2008? I HATE the lack of control over the lights! NO there is a how to for the 03-08's in the how to section.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Jims08Vibe

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by Jims08Vibe »

tanks must go that section ......... ............... a man looking for control
Not just gramma's car K&N air filterCold air intake (using only OEM parts)Xenon headlampsEnkei rims (for the summer)
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

basicly you cut pin 12up under the driver side dashred wire/ white strip (with the elec tape on it)
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
vibebox

Post by vibebox »

i have 2010gt. Im going to put in a toggle switch in on of the knock outs by the traction control. Is there a place to access the blue wire on the drivers side near the traction control button? or do i have to run the wires from the glove box over to the switch
gimmegimme

Re: (vibebox)

Post by gimmegimme »

Your 2010 Vibe should be pre-wired for a security system. There is an unused connector behind the glove box that is connected to an unused connector behind the traction control switch area. The purpose of the connectors are to connect the glass breakage sensor to the security system, but if you don't have the security system and don't plan on getting it, you can re-use the wires for your own purpose.
j42.snyder

Re: (gimmegimme)

Post by j42.snyder »

I did this modification on my '09 this weekend - and fortunately I went by the images attached previously, as opposed to finding "wire 12". The wire depicted in the photo (dark blue) is correct - but it's actually #10. This is the ignition power feed for the DRL module. #12 is a light blue wire, which goes to the park lamp relay control.I used the existing wires for the optional security system (black and yellow) that run behind the traction control switch and added a rocker switch so that I can choose between auto or manual light control - and maintain my DRL operation in the daytime.If you remove this wire - be sure to insulate it so it can't short to ground. It's 12V supplied when the ignition is on - in parallel with many other modules. If this shorts and blows the fuse, half the stuff in the car will stop working - including power steering!I'm contemplating doing this "mod" for the tire pressure module as well for winter (when I don't have rims with TPS sensors). From what I figure, that should eliminate the low tire light from irritating me daily. It would be again a dark blue wire, at pin 7 of the tire pressure module. If I get adventurous one day and try this, I'll post a separate "how to".I wish the manuals had proper schematics in them! Lots of block diagrams - but no overall schematics. It's sufficient to repair most problems - but doesn't provide those of us who wish to alter things with enough info to be very useful.Just thought I'd clarify this. It should apply to any 2009-10.John
dayday

Post by dayday »

For those that used existing wires to incorporate a switch, do you have pics of your switch and installed location?
'09 Vibe 2.4L 5sp
midnighthunder89

Re: (dayday)

Post by midnighthunder89 »

ya and some specs on the switch would be nice. I would really like to do this.
2010 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed manual.
j42.snyder

Re: (midnighthunder89)

Post by j42.snyder »

I'll try to get a couple of photos of it when I get a chance. I just used one of the "dummy" knock outs next to the traction off button, and cut a hole in it to fit the rocker switch I bought. Fortunately it "just" fit. Some careful cutting and patience is required for this. To make life easier, I added a connector inline so that I could remove the dash trim piece if needed - and it gave me a little more length to play with for the wiring. I simply cut off the unused connector behind the traction off switch and soldered my "new" one on. I just used an RCA jack as it was cheap and handy - insulated of course.Behind the glove box, there's an unused harness with several wires attached to the main bundle with a piece of white vinyl tape. Cut this tape, and you'll have easier access to the connector. I simply used a continuity meter to make sure the yellow and black wires went to the ones on the other side, and cut them off behind the connector. I then cut the dark blue wire going to the DRL module and connected each side of the blue wire to one of the "new" wires. This now puts the switch in series providing the ignition voltage to the module.Since very little current likely flows through this line (most likely just a 12V signal), virtually any switch will work. I didn't want a toggle jabbing my knee - so I was looking for either a rocker or push button (not momentary) that would fit into the "dummy". It will really come down to personal preference as to what you'd like to look at daily. Mine's just a simple matte black rectangular rocker with a "dot" indicating "ON". It cost me about $4 from a local electronics component store.Once the switch is installed, "ON" will have the lights operate as before, and "OFF" gives you full control with NO DRL's.I noticed a strange discrepancy in the manual. The wiring diagram for the circuit does describe the signal as going to #12 on the DRL module - but when you look up the pin out diagram for that specific connector, it's indicated to be pin #10. Whatever you want to call it, it's the one in the photos early in this thread.
gimmegimme

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by gimmegimme »

Here are some pictures of my button.Normal operationManual controlPressing the button toggles between normal operation and manual control. The red light lets me know that it is in manual control and shutting off the car resets it back to normal operation. There is a latching circuit behind the button that uses the dark blue ignition wire as its power source. When the car shuts off, the circuit forgets its state and goes back to normal operation.I wanted it so that I wouldn't turn off the lights and then forget about it for who-knows-how-long, so this way, I wouldn't be able to forget longer than the current trip. In retrospect, it was way more effort than it's worth, since I don't use it that much anyway.
midnighthunder89

you wouldn't be able to draw a quick wire diagram of what you did could you?
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

I used this diagram from the12volt.com with one extra relay to reverse the polarity of the output. I used the dark blue ignition wire as the "Fused Constant 12V+" (which isn't actually constant). When the the12volt circuit is first powered up, the output is open. The extra relay I added connects the "constant" 12V back to the DRL module.When the button is pressed, the the12volt circuit has 12V at the output. The extra relay I added opens the circuit to the DRL module.Here's my circuit, modified from the12volt's circuit.

Attached files
midnighthunder89

wow thanks where did you attach all of the relays?
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

I got a small project box and just stuffed them all inside. I zip-tied the box to the metal brace behind the panel.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

i did this using m/f spade connectors near the harness just in case i want/need to reconnect back to the original way.
http://
ohcdoug

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by ohcdoug »

hey all! I have a 2009 matrix (really the same car as the vibe) that had auto lights (for those who can't tell if its dark outside yet ..lol) that I followed the advice here to fix. Not the advice to cut wires etc but to disconnect the sensor at the base of the windshield. I pryed it out and unplugged and voila! I have control of my lights again. Just a short thanks and I'm passing it onto the matrix forum so they will know it can be done w/o cutting. it does keep the DRL's but with the roads how crazy they are today,thats not such a bad thing. thanks ! Doug
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

Quote, originally posted by Jims08Vibe »Procedure the same for 2008? I HATE the lack of control over the lights! I finally grew some.... I cut the wire... Red with white stripe. It appears that I have total control over my headlights. I will test it tonight in the dark to see if auto headlights kick-on.I hated not being able to turn off my headlights as I am backing into the garage... my headlights shining on the neighbors house....THANKS GENVIBE!! [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
alex_nrv

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe (lowincash)

Post by alex_nrv »

keithvibe wrote:This is for the '09 Corolla - May help you, Do it at your own risk since I do not own a '09 vibe..1) Remove the glove compartment2) Locate the DRL module. Its a black unit mounted sideways with a wiring harness plugged in the side of it.3) Unplug the harness from the module4) Cut the blue wire at pin 12. Leave at least 3 inches of wire sticking out of the connector in case you ever want to put it back.5) Tape up the end of both blue wires.6) Plug the connector back in.7) Put the glove box back.8) Enjoy the freedom of controlling your lights yourself.you will lose your auto lights but you will be able to turn off your lights manually
CAUTION!
Keithvibe, you are really close to the real thing, but there is TWO blue wires in the same area... PIN #10 (first pin on the 2nd row of wires, just after the big 2 at the top) is a DARK BLUE wire, and PIN #12 is a LIGHT BLUE wire. I initially thought that PIN #12 LIGHT BLUE was the right wire to cut, but talking with Vibenvy, I actually learned that the proper wire to cut is the DARK BLUE wire at PIN #10. I still haven't cut it myself to test it out, but I saw pictures of Vibenvy's cut wires
and the DARK BLUE right after the big 2 ones (called them A & B) is the one to snip.

Here's a "map" of the wiring on this plug:
-A- (Big brown)
-B- (Big white)
1 10 (Dark Blue)
2 11
3 12 (Light Blue)
4 13 (Brown-greyish)
5 14
6 15
7 16
8 17
9 18

I hope this will help someone cut the right wire!

There is also a FOG MOD available for you to do while you're under there!
The white wire at PIN #2 can be cut and ground on the bolt retaining the black relay module using a ring terminal. You need to ground the end of thw wire coming from the big wire stack, not the end that's on the plug. This will give you FULL control over the fogs, even if NO LIGHTS AT ALL are turned ON. But it's easy to forget them. If you want to be safe, just splice this wire into the wire at PIN #13 (brown-greyish). This wire at PIN #13 is the PARKING LIGHTS signal, So as soon as you turn ON the parking lights, the fogs will also be available to be turned ON.

I didn't try the "safer" way to do it, but some did and it worked.
Also, be sure to unplug the NEGATIVE pole on the battery to avoid any shish happening!

Again, hope it helps!
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

knightrace wrote:Quote, originally posted by Jims08Vibe »Procedure the same for 2008? I HATE the lack of control over the lights! I finally grew some.... I cut the wire... Red with white stripe. It appears that I have total control over my headlights. I will test it tonight in the dark to see if auto headlights kick-on.I hated not being able to turn off my headlights as I am backing into the garage... my headlights shining on the neighbors house....THANKS GENVIBE!!
Nice! Happy for you!
It looks like it's about the same thing as 2009/2010 Vibes, only the color or the wires has changed. It's the same relay module, same pattern of wires, only different colors.
And what did you had to lose. If you cut a bad wire and it doesn'T work, just get it back together. If you really wanted this mod, you could do it, and you did.

Enjoy! Oh, and if you have fogs, INDEPENDANT fogs are a MUST! I enjoy so badly having the fogs lit without anything else, and having the fogs ON when the HIGH beams are ON!
I can't wait to drive in "les cantons de l'est" here in Quebec with my high beams and fog lights ON. The main highway in that area (Hwy 10) is a dark highway that goes across a lot of fields and at night it's mostly pitch black. A lot of deer activity!
In the winter, there is a lot of ski mountains and some of them are lit, it's really nice to see, the white snowy mountain on the pitch black canvas is an inredible contrast.
NIK71

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe

Post by NIK71 »

Off Headlights through the relay. Powered relays take the "+" cigarette lighter "-" from the parking brake. Cut the wire connected to the pin 12. and podklyucheem on normalno closed contacts.
http://myvibe.ru/board/index.php?action ... bum;id=451
sbzero

Post by sbzero »

Hey guys!

I just made a how-to video on installing a simple switch for your '09+ Vibe DRL's, if anyone cares to see it or would like help...unfortunately I already finished the job before I decided to make the video so I don't have any technical tips but it's still useful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5U4EN0MXg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alex_nrv

Post by alex_nrv »

sbzero wrote:Hey guys!

I just made a how-to video on installing a simple switch for your '09+ Vibe DRL's, if anyone cares to see it or would like help...unfortunately I already finished the job before I decided to make the video so I don't have any technical tips but it's still useful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5U4EN0MXg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NIICE!
I would really enjoy bypassing the DRL and was waiting for the summer. I also thought about doing this little addition that is the switch. Your switch model looks really slick and fits very well in the housing. I think I may do this mod now!
Thanks for showing us how to remove the numerous panels (I LOLed a lot when all you did was PULL on this and that part to pull it apart! So easier than I thought it would be!)

Again, thanks again for the tutorial, it makes things less "scary" and "easier"!
thebornotaku

Post by thebornotaku »

Just as a note...

GM Vehicles are sold in a *ton* of countries internationally where DRLs are law (and it may be in the US too, but I'm not sure), which is why these things are just wired like that from the factory. Easier to make all the vehicles operate the same than different versions for different countries and their laws.
1985 Volvo 245DL
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
2003 Pontiac Vibe
Burns1210

Post by Burns1210 »

I have an 08, but all I do is:

With the engine off, set the parking brake, shine a cheap little led flashlight on the photocell, start the engine. No lights.
2008~Auto~Platinum~Monsoon~Sport Package
M1MECHANIC

Post by M1MECHANIC »

Not sure if you still need help but if you dont want to rely on the sensor and wont control over you lights then on the dash is your sensor pry it up and disconnect the wire on ether side and turn the car on and see if that gives you control of the lights. Do this in a garage so you can test to see if you can turn them on and off in a dark place. if they stay on when you disconnect one wire the the photo sensor then you need to by bypass the photosensor. just disconnect the other wire and put them together then us electrical tape. not sure witch way the photo sensor works, some let voltage pass in dark to turn on lights some stop voltage at night to activate switch to turn on lights, that is why i had you dissonnect 1 at first. hope this works and you dont have to crawl under dash and mess with all the wires down there. just put the photo sensor back in place so you don't have a hole in your dash.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Hello. Just read through some of this as i'm interested in eliminating the DRLs on my 03' before i install HIDs. Just wanted to verify if i have to cut PIN #12 which is the red wire with white stripe. I'm assuming it should be the same wiring for 03-08' correct? I will consider doing the mod for the fog light switch also n i saw someone wrote you snip 1 wire(not sure which one exactly) and ground it, and that lets you turn on fogs independently. If anyone remembers or has done this for the 03' can they please lmk if i'm on the right track? Thanks.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

There are pictures a few posts up in this thread showing the wiring for 03-08. I'm not sure the pin #, but it is indeed the red wire with a white stripe.

And here is the how-to for the 03-08 fog lights.
bonnevibe

Post by bonnevibe »

Snipped my Red wire with White stripe and haven't looked back. Lights now activated by the combo-switch and it is awesome! Much obliged.
"The shortest distance between two points is under construction"

302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

vibenvy wrote:There are pictures a few posts up in this thread showing the wiring for 03-08. I'm not sure the pin #, but it is indeed the red wire with a white stripe.

And here is the how-to for the 03-08 fog lights.
This is just what i was looking for! Thanks for the help. I will read up on it in detail tomorrow or whenever i do the mod. I'm looking to go with option #2, which is, having the fogs come ON when Parking Lights are ON and being able to use LOW or HIGH beams without the fogs turning OFF. Option #1 sounds good also but i would hate to leave my fogs on by mistake and come back to a car with a dead battery. :(
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

302LVR wrote:This is just what i was looking for! Thanks for the help. I will read up on it in detail tomorrow or whenever i do the mod. I'm looking to go with option #2, which is, having the fogs come ON when Parking Lights are ON and being able to use LOW or HIGH beams without the fogs turning OFF. Option #1 sounds good also but i would hate to leave my fogs on by mistake and come back to a car with a dead battery. :(
FWIW, both our Vibes have had the AHLs and DRLs disabled (using option #1) and the independent fog lights for about 8 years now and we've never left any of the lights on.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

^^^ Indeed i'm the type to double check as well but what really worries me is someone else other than me leaving them on if they drive my car. Remember, even Forrest Gump said "Sh*t happens!" :lol:
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

knightrace wrote:Quote, originally posted by Jims08Vibe »Procedure the same for 2008? I HATE the lack of control over the lights! I finally grew some.... I cut the wire... Red with white stripe. It appears that I have total control over my headlights. I will test it tonight in the dark to see if auto headlights kick-on.I hated not being able to turn off my headlights as I am backing into the garage... my headlights shining on the neighbors house....THANKS GENVIBE!!

Just performed this on my 03' VGT so i'm assuming us 03-08' can pretty much expect the same outcome from these steps. It was literally just one wire that needed to be cut. I actually opted for pulling out the oem connector from the harness but its just so darn uncomfortable working under the pedal area i was unable to. *NOTE* The wire that gets cut is the RED/WHITE wire in center of harness on bottom side NOT the r/w cable next to the 2 fatter wires. *SEE PICS FROM QUOTED POST* Love the fact that my lights aren't ON now 24/7. I kept burning out bulbs n now that i installed HIDs i have more control over when i want my lights on or not. BIG thanks for the help fellow vibe enthusiasts.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

09-10 Vibe DRL and automatic headlights Disable:
*Do not do this... see note below
PROCEDURE (steps to disable DRLs and automatic headlights):
  • Open Glove box
  • Remove glove box "shock" on right side by prying to the right off of it's post on glove box
  • Push in on sides of glove box to let glove box swing further open
  • Pull up on glove box to remove
  • Locate white shell connector on right side of glove box cavity
  • Find blue (maybe a little purple-ish) wire directly adjacent to the two largest diameter wires in the shell connector (brown and white in my case)
  • You may choose to remove the shell connector from it's "socket" or you may not. I did and it was easier to verify the wire I was cutting. There are more than one blue wires in this shell connector
  • Make sure the wire you select is right next to the big fatty wires!
  • Cut this (blue) wire - or remove female "receptor socket brass thing" from the white shell connector
  • Reverse disassembly
After performing this PROCEDURE the DRLs will not ever come on. After performing this PROCEDURE the headlights are now solely under your control using the switch on the end of the stalk on the left side of your steering column.

*Do not perform this PROCEDURE:
  • Unless you understand all of the implications of doing so.
  • Unless you accept full responsibility for the consequences of the PROCEDURE'S effects.
  • Unless you understand this PROCEDURE is not guaranteed to be accurate and attempting the PROCEDURE may cause or have detrimental effects.
  • Unless you hold harmless the author of this post for effects or consequences of the PROCEDURE.
Forum administrators: please feel free to delete this post if it is in any way infringing on any rules herein.
yemi2003

Post by yemi2003 »

Wheeew!
I know this post is old. However, I'm sure there are others who still need this info just like I did when I found this post.

I'm updating this post to say I just cut the #10 wire (dark blue). I was so scared before cutting bit then I summon courage and say what's gonna be the worst that could happen, I'll find a way to join it back. Paaam! Wire cute, and auto + drl gone. I have no intention to put any switch there, so I just cut and will put some tape on it. If I eventually sell, I'll definitely let the buyer knows. I feel so so relieved. Thank you all for all comments. God bless you all. If jot for this post, I will still be having headaches on how to eradicate this daylight and the auto. Now both is gone. I'm happy.