New Double Din HU Installed!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
hambox

New Double Din HU Installed!

Post by hambox »

Hey guys, I picked up this Clarion last week from Crutchfield for $199! So far I really like it, with the only downside being that it doesn't work with my fourth gen Ipod : (. Crutchfield provided a free XM Mini Tuner, dock, and antenna. Sorry for the low quality pics, I'll get some more up in daytime lighting.Anyone know of a way to remove the print from the front of the HU? I think it looks fairly stock besides the Clarion logo, it would be nice to remove it or cover it with a Pontiac sticker. More pics here. http://farm4.static.flickr.com...4.jpg
gr8vibe

Post by gr8vibe »

Looking good! I was going for double din, but then decided against it since the one I was looking at was rather pricey. About $500. SO .... that was outta the question lol.
2009 Honda CR-V EX Alabaster Silver------------------------------------------AIM- iRichard360------------------------------------------myspace- myspace.com/richard05
hambox

Post by hambox »

Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I had looked at some that were more expensive. In the end, I decided I didn't absolutely need (only really wanted) Nav, screen, dvd, etc.
lovemyraffe

Re: (hambox)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Looks great! If you want to take the print off, I would try some denatured alcohol. It will take just about anything off. It might not be print. Some hu's have a name plate glued onto it. p.s. this is merely a suggestion. I am not responsible for your actions.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
hambox

Post by hambox »

Oh don't worry, I'd test it on something else first. Looking at the Clarion text, I think it'd be best just to have a sticker w/ a black background and white Pontiac text.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Which mounting kit did you use? Looks really good!
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
hambox

Post by hambox »

I don't remember if it had a brand name, it is whatever Crutchfield sent. The instructions were not very clear, as you need to cut off certain parts of the plastic mount to fit your specific application. The sheet referenced incorrect diagram #'s and the English skills of the person who wrote it were quite sub par.Is it just me, or are instruction sheets/manuals becoming more difficult to comprehend.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I see so made in China lol. I'll look around then we just got Crutchfield up here.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
vibrtor

Re: New Double Din HU Installed! (hambox)

Post by vibrtor »

This is one of two HU's I'm considering. The other is a JVC KW-XG700. Both get high ratings from Crutchfield owner feedback. I like the simpler operation of the JVC, but dislike the red buttons (my eyes have a problem with red - blurry). But you've got a real nice unit there. And it's a good deal with free XM tuner, antenna and remote (remote is optional with the Clarion). First one I've seen installed. Love to see more pics.
hambox

Post by hambox »

I'll try to post some more up tomorrow. Adjustments are limited when it comes to equalization, but I'm not a big sound guy anyway. If you have any questions about the unit, I'd be glad to let you know what I know.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

looks good!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Willken3

Post by Willken3 »

I'd like to install the same HU & XM DIrect 2 in my '08 Vibe. I ahve a few questions: How easy was the install? Any trouble programming the interface for the Clarion HU? Did you replace the speakers? If not, how is the sound quality with the factory speakers? Does the XM Direct 2 require a 12 volt source? Where did you locate the antenna? THanks.
XRTIM

Post by XRTIM »

Nicely done!
hambox

Re: New Double Din HU Installed! (Willken3)

Post by hambox »

The install was pretty easy. It took me an evening to do, this was the first HU I have ever installed. There was no real set up involved afterwards, and the XM stuff provided, which was the mini-tuner kit, was the easiest part to hook up. You have to use the "home dock" in the car, I have it in the glove box.I just used the factory speakers, and they sound fine to me but I'm not a real audio aficionado. I placed the antenna behind the cars fm/am atenna, but close to the hatch opening.
CountryVibe

Post by CountryVibe »

Looks great!!
2005 GTmoons & tunes, keyhole covers, SRI,2.5" borla catback exhaust, seatbelt beep deletedWagons Rule.......Sedans Drool
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Looks good man, real good, I just hope you can KEEP it in the car... most double DINs scream
hambox

Post by hambox »

Indeed they do. Gotta get some dark tint!
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

looks good..i like clarion..but i agree with sublime..lol..thats one of the main things i was scared of when i had my new deck put into my sunfire..was always afraid i was gonna come out to my car with no drivers window
LOUROK

Post by LOUROK »

looks great. Thats a nice one. Good choice.