No 6-disc changer in 09 Vibe?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Suselew

No 6-disc changer in 09 Vibe?

Post by Suselew »

I was shocked to see that the Vibe lacks anything but a single CD player despite the audio upgrade. What is the deal? The 09 Matrix can be upgraded to a JBL 6 disc changer WITH XM. What were they thinking?
VforVIBE

Re: No 6-disc changer in 09 Vibe? (Suselew)

Post by VforVIBE »

I have a 6-CD changer in my '06... I'm not impressed, it's too slow.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

CDs are on the way out in terms of "in car" media, with all the flash Mp3 players there is no need, it prolly even plays Mp3 which means a disc can easily hold 300 songs... changers area thing of the past anymore.. Welcome to the future.. Welcome to GenVibe
Kamikaze

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Kamikaze »

I'd take a single disc w/MP3 over my 6disc w/o MP3..That's the only reason I'm thinking of replacing my H.U. is b/c it won't play MP3's Actually.. I should just buy a Ipod and the hookup...hmm.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
kowell

Post by kowell »

I'm dissapointed that the 2009 base radio cannot play MP3 CDs since more and more GM radios can do it even in base models. Yes the Audio aux input saves the day but why not have both.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
ragingfish

Re: (kowell)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by kowell »I'm dissapointed that the 2009 base radio cannot play MP3 CDs since more and more GM radios can do it even in base models. Yes the Audio aux input saves the day but why not have both.Delphi likely isn't spending a lot of R&D dollars on it because - AFAIK - it is the only radio NOT GMLAN based. Meaning basically the radio is used in the Vibe, and no other GM vehicle. Because of that, they probably just slap something together and call it a day.But, on the other hand, many GM radios do not support MP3 CDs...which is total IMHO. Some do, but not enough. And with that being a feature offered in friggen KIAs, what could possibly be their excuse.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
kunkstyle

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »But, on the other hand, many GM radios do not support MP3 CDs...which is total IMHO.Considering a good chunk of GM radios can't even play burned cd's...
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
ragingfish

Re: (kunkstyle)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »Considering a good chunk of GM radios can't even play burned cd's...That is one problem I've never had...I've been able to play burned discs in all my pontiacs' radios to date...01 grand prix, 02 sunfire, 03 vibe, 05 G6, 06 G6...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »That is one problem I've never had...I've been able to play burned discs in all my pontiacs' radios to date...01 grand prix, 02 sunfire, 03 vibe, 05 G6, 06 G6...Crazy. I could only get one brand (and only a specific type) to work in the Vibe, and my dad's Sierra can't play any of them. The only one I've had that would was a 99 Grand Prix.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
ragingfish

Re: (kunkstyle)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »Crazy. I could only get one brand (and only a specific type) to work in the Vibe, and my dad's Sierra can't play any of them. The only one I've had that would was a 99 Grand Prix.Crazy indeed! FWIW, I've been using Memorex brand blanks for as long as I can remember -- I got one mother of aspindle on sale for mad cheap (read lots 'o discs for little coin), been working off that same pack for years. I can't help but think the software people use to make their discs may somehow be affecting their car's ability to read the discs? I've used roxio easy cd creator and sonic digitalmedia pro (depending on which computer I burn on), both have yielded CDs with no issues. Oh, I've also been using iTunes lately to burn discs, no problems there either.

2009 PONTIAC G8
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »Delphi likely isn't spending a lot of R&D dollars on it because - AFAIK - it is the only radio NOT GMLAN based. Meaning basically the radio is used in the Vibe, and no other GM vehicle. Because of that, they probably just slap something together and call it a day.But, on the other hand, many GM radios do not support MP3 CDs...which is total IMHO. Some do, but not enough. And with that being a feature offered in friggen KIAs, what could possibly be their excuse.That doesn't make any sense - the 07 and 08s had an option for a CD MP3 player.And.. in fact if you go to the Pontiac site and "Build your own" there is an upgrade option for MP3 playback. But no 6CD...
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Sputnik

Re: No 6-disc changer in 09 Vibe? (Suselew)

Post by Sputnik »

I have a 6 disc changer in my Rogue and have never even used it. I either plug my iPod in, or use my Sirius Radio. I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD... oh wait, it was exactly a year ago in Las Vegas... Beatles Love.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
ragingfish

Re: (GMJAP)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »That doesn't make any sense - the 07 and 08s had an option for a CD MP3 player.And.. in fact if you go to the Pontiac site and "Build your own" there is an upgrade option for MP3 playback. But no 6CD...Show's how much I pay attention, I never realized any model year offered MP3 support. As for the 6CD, I suspect a prior theory presented seems to be a sensible explanation - that CDs are slowly yielding to digital media, so perhaps they didn't want to spend the money to offer the 6 disc models because they made a foolish assumption that demand would be low. I also wonder, though, that since I have been reading on my other forum that the G6 6-disc units seem to be failing at an unusually high rate...if they didn't axe a 6 disc option because of the problems other models seem to be experiencing. *shrug*

2009 PONTIAC G8
kowell

Post by kowell »

The Mp3 playback is optional and that's the problem... optional.That radio upgrade don't come cheap and it's a high price if you only want it for the mp3 playback capacity. The basic Aveo model gets mp3 playback standard.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver