who has a portable GPS and recommendations ?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
vibebob

who has a portable GPS and recommendations ?

Post by vibebob »

I did a search for gps and didn't come up with anything.who has a portable GPS unit in their cars or a model to recommend, trying to keep it under $300,I did google search for different models along with consumer complaints and each seems to have their detractors, Garmin has bad customer support but great units. not sure what to go with, so I'll turn to my fellow Vibers.
no longer a vibe owner"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein.
keithvibe

Re: who has a portable GPS and recommendations ? (vibebob)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by vibebob »I did a search for gps and didn't come up with anything.who has a portable GPS unit in their cars or a model to recommend, trying to keep it under $300,I did google search for different models along with consumer complaints and each seems to have their detractors, Garmin has bad customer support but great units. not sure what to go with, so I'll turn to my fellow Vibers. if you did a search for "GPS" you won't find anything.. the search function needs four letters or numbers to complete a search.check out tomtomforums.comother than that..I would like to know the same answers... been doing research on the issue for a few months now... I think i will be getting a tom tom.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

We have a Garmin Nuvi 200 been great so far.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
briantforce

Re: who has a portable GPS and recommendations ? (GMJAP)

Post by briantforce »

ive used my friends Magellan Meastro a few times with no problemsalso if you want to do a clean install, you can take out the stereo and tap into a 12v behind the dash and run the power right through the defrost vent and mount to the windshield with a suction mount
- Brian T Force2003 Vibe GTBlack with gray lower pannelling, 17" alloysPoineer DEH-P6900ub Head UnitSony Xplod 4way / Poineer ts-a1682r 4wayMTX Thunder 4500-4510-04Blaupunkt tha475always 93, always synthetic
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

my buddy just got the garmin c330 i believe it was..it's amazing and really accurate
dmsween

Post by dmsween »

I'll second the garmin nuvi, although I got the girlfriend the nuvi 200W which is just the widescreen version. Its a very good gps but it doesn't have a lot of thrills.
'03 GT35% Tint Windows, 20% Rear HatchMoons & Tunes w/o Rear Sub
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I use a Pioneer Avic-S1, works great for me. You can see a pic of where I mounted it in my Garage Pics.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

i have a garmin nuvi 660, got it dec 06 when the nuvi line was just coming out. i love the widescreen. i've only had direction issues with it twice, first one it wanted me to turn onto a road that didnt exist and second had me make a right instead of a left.
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

i just recieved my TomTom 720 in the mail the other day (late Christmas present)...but anyways...so far i love it...even though ive only been using it for a couple of days.....although its a little over your price range...approx $360 (with shipping....you may decide its worth it.......4.3 inch touch screen is very nice...also the good thing about TomTom is that you can make corrections to the maps, share them with other users, download other users corrections....and also the TomToms are "future proof"...because of the online community, Map downloads/corrections.......so far the only thing i wish was different is that it would allow you to enter streets first..instead of asking you for the city first but you can search by zipcode first instead.....its neat hearing the TomTom telling you what to do...lol here's the TomTom720 product page...http://www.tomtom.com/products...Lid=4most retailers are offering it for $399..plus sales tax......if you order it online (do a search on amazon.com....you can find it for about $350-360)if you dont want to order it online...they do offer a $100 mail in rebate...just make sure you read the rebate first to make sure you are eligibleim going to start using it for fire/ambulance calls...when its better to respond in my POV....im also going to start using it in the ambulance here at work....(until the company installs the supposed GPS unit bought for every station in our county?)
psiu

Post by psiu »

I don't have one, but almost snapped and bought the Tomtom One 3rd edition the other day. It got good reviews but we honestly don't need it. Got about 10 books instead with my $150 worth of Amazon GC...might still be on sale.
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: (psiu)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

I have a TomTom One for 3 months now ans it works very well. I paid 200$ for it. For the price, I think it will be hard to find better.
blue_can

Re: (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by blue_can »

Garmin Streetpilot 2610. Bought it about 2 years ago so they may not sell it anymore. It comes with software that you can load on your computer so you can view the maps on the computer, plan the trip and them download it to the GPS which is quite handy. The maps do not come pre-loaded - you have to do this yourself. A 2GB flash will hold all of North America.I also got the Europe maps and used it in Europe. The nice thing is that you can hold parts of different continents on the same flash card - you can select which segments you want in the unit an any time.I would recommend getting an external antenna that clips to the roof (magnet). With this you will get 360 degreee sweep and most come with a built in amp which will help in conditions like rain. If you have a satellite monitor like the SP2610 does you can see the difference in the numbers of satellites and signal strength with an external antenna. It also comes in useful in areas with high building for example. I even carry one with me when I travel and then just mount it on the rental car.
'07 Vibe
silver_vibe

Re: (coldmm803)

Post by silver_vibe »

Quote, originally posted by coldmm803 »...it wanted me to turn onto a road that didnt exist...Wasn't that an episode of The Office?
x10

Post by x10 »

I have a garmin IQue M3 that is great its a pda with a built in GPS my Parents, brother, and close friend each have the MIO 220 it may be the best bang for your buck out there. you can find them for $150 and its maps and engine are almost identical to the Garmin. I would recomend the MIO family for 1/2 the price of some out there although the christmas season has seen the GPS market go wild. There are some great deals out thereGarmin is trying to buy one of the big map suppliers and if they get that done Garmin may be the very best because no one else can get maps
+++++++++++++++++++++++++06 Lava Pont Vibe Monsoon systemroof, Daily drive, 38 miles each way, Loving it so far
josholiver1

Post by josholiver1 »

TomTom One 3rd Edition. love it.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that is amazing. You can find one on e-bay for $300ish.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
DCA Motorsports

Post by DCA Motorsports »

I used my old Garmin eMap for years and just bought a Tomtom One 3rd Edition. It was cheap enough at $149.00 that I didn't figure I'd be out much if I didn't like it. The Garmin Nuvi line has a few more bells and whistles than the TT 3rd, but it seems to be a decent little piece. I have no complaints so far.You can make your own splash screens and have just about anything for your pointer icon- I have a Vibe for mine Here is a splash screen I did in about 3 minutes. If anyone has a 3.5" Tomtom, have at it.

Attached files
josholiver1

Post by josholiver1 »

Thats pretty sweet DCA i added it to mine. thanks!
Insulted

Post by Insulted »

I also have a TomTom 1 3rd addition, and no problems, i like it a lot.
vibebob

Post by vibebob »

thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate the info and suggestions.
no longer a vibe owner"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein.
Crossfire

Re: who has a portable GPS and recommendations ? (keithvibe)

Post by Crossfire »

I use the Navigon 5100. A great unit. Got it when on sale for $149. Regularly $250.It has been a most reliable piece of equipment. It includes TTS, which is nice, if not necessary.For about the same price I bought my daughter a Mitac Digiwalker C230 unit that she has had no problems with. Also has TTS.I did a lot of research only to find out that most of the brands out there are good performers. It's just that Garmin, TomTom and Magellan seem to get the most press.
dianebrat

Post by dianebrat »

I love my Garmin nuvi 360, count me in the nuvi camp
last of the '06 AWDslava red monotone, preferred, sport, and side airbags
jwalcik

Re: (Insulted)

Post by jwalcik »

I'll third (or fourth?) the TomTom One 3rd edition. It's pretty low-end from a features perspective, but I've been happy with it's maps and directions.
2005 vibe gt
nate06

Post by nate06 »

I knew early last year that the GPS devices would be big during the holiday season. So I spent a lot of time researching the GPS companies last year. I can tell you that Garmin is the best company and I believe it is because thier products are the best. The most important thing about a GPS is the maps and Garmin has the best the maps. Although Nokia bought their mapmaker, they were able to negiciate a deal that goes until 2020.Also I made a 60% profit on Gamin last year, so that may be swaying my opinion in their favor.
06 Stealth Vibe5 SpdDrag Dr9 Wheels
asburydan

Post by asburydan »

We have the Garmin nuvi 260 and really like it. It was the best I could find in price and features, especially having text to speech feature. They are now under $300.
asburydan - moved from Vibe to 5th Mustang.
Digger

Re: (asburydan)

Post by Digger »

I got a TomTom 6 app. for my Treo 700p smartphone. Works great.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
The Lox

Post by The Lox »

We have a Garmin C330, you can pick them up on E-bay for right at 200. It never lets us down!!
2008 Wave 5-Speed (Mine)2007 Platinum Auto (Hers)