Replacement CD players that will do MP3 and speaker efficiency question

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
HenryTS

Post by HenryTS »

I am currently considering replacing my CD/radio head unit in my Vibe with one that will play MP3' s - the stock unit plays CDR's fine (I like the idea of doing a CD with MP3's that will play for 10 hours on an extended road trip) . However looking at Crutchfield's listing most of the moderate priced units produce 24-25 watts rms/spkr which I presume is what the base audio syetm is (it says 100 watts i but is that 25 watts rms or peak per speaker for the base head unit?). In this case I would like to upgrade the oem speakers with more efficient 2 way units. I have heard that with some of the high end speakers it sounds good until you crank it and then it starts distorting because the speakers aren't getting enough power where more efficient units might be able to make due with the 25 watts/channel.-this is a really a question for audio enthusiasts as others may not know what I am asking when I ask about speaker efficiency. Any suggestions for low to moderate priced speakers that are very efficient as well as low to moderate priced head units that will play MP3 cd's would be greatly appreciated.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Your looking for a speaker with a very high sensitivity (efficiency) rating. The higher the sensitivity, the louder the speaker will play with the same input power. For instance, a speaker rated 3 dB higher than another will require half as much power to produce the same output. So if you have a low powered factory head unit, find a speaker with a higher sensitivity rating than most. I personally like Blaupunkt. Most of there speaker have higher sensitivity ratings than others. The Vibe has 6 1/2 up front and 5 1/4 in the rear. I know from talking to other Vibe owners that a 6 1/2 will fit in the rear with no cutting required. So go 6 1/2 all the way around. 6 1/2 will have much better bass response than the 5 1/4 anyway. I wouldn't go with a 3 way. Reason being I just feel from expirence if you don't have subs you don't need 3 ways. They put out way to much high range. Stick with a 2 way.Ok the Blaupunkt PCxi652 have a sensitivity rating of 93. That's better than any other 6 1/2 speaker Crutchfield carries. They run $69.00. You can search on ebay typing in key word Blaupunkt PCxi652 and you can find them bran new for around $45.00 still in box.If you want alittle cheaper but all most as good the Blaupunkt PCxt652 have a sensitivity rating of 92. $49.99 Either tied with other speakers of this size or beat them. Still no one beats them in Crutchfield. You can also find these bran new on ebay doing the search with the name and model number for around $30.00.I have these speakers and before I changed my factory head unit with a Blaupunkt Austin the difference between the stock speakers and the Blaupunkt PCxt652s was amazing. The bass response from these speakers make people think you have subs in your car. Yes they sound that good and the highs are crisp like they should be. If in doubt before buying a speaker look at the sensitivity rating. If one is higher than another it will sound better than the lower rated one.You wanted cheap speakers and these are the best in my opinion, and better priced than other speakers that don't perform as well. This is only my opinion and every one has one but I have heard many speakers and Blaupunkt's to me sound better. Check out http://www.crutchfield.com and look at the ratings and prices. You'll be able to tell who is the best.