Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Sublimewind

Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial

Post by Sublimewind »

Hi all,I thought it was about time that I finally posted my own install tutorial... I looked around and didn't see one... So, here goes... First off, taking the dash apart is EASY, no screws to remove.. You simply pull on the bottom of the trim panel and it pops loose... just don't keep pulling once it comes loose, cause you have to remove other things to get it off the car...it pulls toward you at the bottom and kinda swings up, then there is 2 tabs at the top of the panel that hold it, you just pivot it up and then pull it down... Tabs at top.. You have to detach the harnesses from the panel before it will come off completely... They are all specific to their plugs, so mixing them up is a non-issue... There is ONE oddball though, it's like a cable and it is a little tricky to get off/on, so take your time and make sure you understand this one... Cable thinggee, shown in upper left of pic... There are 4 bolts that hold it in.. IIRC they are 12mm but could be 14mm, it's been a few months, so I'm not 100% on which, but one of the 2... NOTE: a little tip on NOT losing the bolts, put a piece of electrical tape (loosely) over the nut driver/socket whatever you use and push it down on the bolt and it'll hold the bolt till you can get it out of the dash..!!!Once you have the stock stereo out, unplug it and lay everything out... make sure you don't lose the antenna wire, it's easy for it to kinda fall into the dash, and make you wonder where it went...(antenna wire lower right of pic)Now it's time to get out of the car and head for the bench.... This is a pic of the Metra products that I got for the car... it took 2 tries to get the "proper" dash kit, so beware.... you also MUST have a GM antenna adapter, GM uses a smaller that normal antenna wire/plug... Better pic of parts and Metra part numbers...Better pic of the dash kit, itself... We will be using the 1/2 DIN pocket and ISO mounting the HU... Partly assembled kit...The mounting tabs that come with the kit are tricky... You have to BREAK parts off to make them work for the car, no worries though, this is somewhat "normal" from an installers standpoint... You can see the top and bottom leading edge of the mount brackets have small white lines where the part of the bracket was removed for this particular install.. and the brackets screw into the side of the "pocket"..Ok, setting that aside for now, it's time for the harness... many people don't like this part because it seems so confusing... Again, no worries, 99% of harness are color coded anymore and as long as you are not color blind, it shouldn't be an issue... I will be soldering, which IS the best way, followed by crimp connectors and then ending with the old TNT method (Twist n Tape) so a soldering lesson is coming...Ok, so to begin, you need to shorten the harness, depending on how much room you have, for this install you can see, I went rather short... some need to be longer some don't... try and get all the wires from both harness parts the same lenght...This will help later... Strip all the wires, just over 1/2", more if you have fat fingers, because you'll need to do some twisting that many are not used to... Now you want to make what is called a "barrel" knot, this is where you take the 2 wires and lay them across one another in a X and then twist them around each other... This could take a few tries if you have never done it, but in the end you'll come out with something like this.... Sorry, I suck at Macro shots, you get the idea though...The barrel knot "usually" allows you to solder without and "sharp" points sticking out, I say usually because in most cases it'll require a little trimming. You don't want ANYTHING sharp sticking out or you are asking for problems when the sharp point cuts it's way through the tape/shrink wrap... Now, the SOLDERING LESSON.... First and for most, it needs to be HOT, the hotter the better, plug it in before you begin and by the time you are ready to use it, it'll be GOOD and HOT... Next, the soldering iron needs to be in good shape for good soldering, NEVER, NEVER file or sand a soldering tip to clean it... once hot, a damp paper towel or sponge "should" clean it, if it is in half way decent shape... If you can't get a nice bright silver/chrome look from it, consider some fine seel wool, if that doesn't do it, a new tip or iron... Now, you need to "tin" the iron, which is nothing more than melting some solder in the tip, this needs to be done often to keep a thin layer of solder on the tip. The tinning acts as a conduit for heat transfer. Clean the tip often on the damp whatever you have and re-tin after each cleaning... Depending on the wattage of the iron and the thickness of your solder this can be easy or difficult... Thick solder for sweating copper pipes is not recommended because it removes a lot of heat from the iron... It CAN be used, but it's better to have thinner "electrical" solder.... And "flux core" solder is a good idea as well... Flux it a acid/rosin mix that helps strip impurities from the wire and solder and makes the job LOADS easier... if you don't have flux core solder, little tins of flux can be bought near ANY solder in the store... Now, now that you have your first pair of wires twisted and your iron ready, get set to solder... Tin the iron and give it a quick "flick" toward the floor (doing this in the house in the carpet/vinyl flooring NOT recommended) to remove the excess...Place the tip of the iron on the wire for a few seconds, let the heat rush into the wire, now touch the solder to the iron, right where the iron and the wire meet... If you are hot enough, the solder will melt and start flowing INTO the wire via capillary action... once you see the solder flowing, you can move it (both the solder and the iron) around a little on the wire, feeding in solder until you see the connection is completely silver, remove the heat and let it sit for a few seconds...If done properly, you'll look like this, at this point....Again, I'm sorry, the pics didn't come out so well, but you should get the idea.. There are some things that need to be said right now... 1. When soldering, MORE heat IS better. It allows you to get in, flow the solder, and get out QUICKLY. If you are melting wires, you ARE NOT HOT ENOUGH2. If you can't get the wire hot enough, fast enough, your iron wattage is to SMALL3. The whole time you are doing this the wire is "heat sinking" away heat up the length of the wire, it's all goin
g to get warm/hot, get in, get out, quickly. 4. Soldering irons are DANGEROUS, do not treat them like they are not, they will sizzle skin faster than just about anyhting..5. A soldering iron is your friend, treat is as such and care for it properly, again DO NOT, sand or file a soldering iron. If you find you have stuff on the tip that will not come off when hot, at the MOST, wipe it into some fine steel wool, if that doesn't work, you either need a new tip or a new iron (the better ones have replaceable tips, the cheaper ones don't) 6. A soldering GUN will work, it's just not as easy as an iron, harder to control7. when you are done soldering, unplug it and TIN the tip one last time, leaving the excess in place, it will protect it till next time... Ok, moving on.... make up all of your connections, same as the first.... let it cool.. Now, heat shrink is the best, but GOOD electrical tape works well to, BAD electrical tape is the culprit in MANY units blowing up... BAD tape, gets really stiff when cold and doesn't stick well, bad tape also doesn't stick well when warm/hot, so consider that on a 100* day on the inside of your dash after a 2hr drive with the stereo cranked... I like 3M super 33 tape myself, but as long as it's nice and plyable, it should be fine... Dollar store tape NOT recommended... I have a way of taping that may seem odd to most, but after the first 2 connections, it makes perfect sense.... You pull off about 1-1.5" of tape and set it on the wire, leinght-wise all the way to one edge, like so...Then you fold the short side up and roll that wire like a cig/joint...lol Try to get the tape as tight as possible and it's a GOOD idea to wash your hand prior to this to get as much oils off your fingers to keep it from messing with the adhesive... Ok, you should be looking like this at this point.. Any left over wires and there WILL be some, tape off so they don't short to anyhting and then wrap the wires as such...You have just completed your wiring harness...!!!!!! WHEW... Now, back to the dash kit and the head unit... there ARE many different ways of mounting the HU, this install uses an ISO mount, where the "cage" of the HU is put into the dash kit, the retaining tab are bent into place to hold the cage to the dash kit... then the HU is slid INTO the cage until it locks and a trim ring slides over that to finish the look...Thinking like an installer, I forgot to get a pic of the "cage" mounted to the dash kit, sorry, but it is explained in the install guide that comes with ANY aftermarket head unit, do yourself a favor and read AND understand the instructions on both the install guides of the HU and the dash kit before starting.... Believe it or not, this dash kit was "tricky" for me... Ok, this dash kit also cam with a nice "back brace" which is used to keep the unit from BOUNCING inside the dash, which is important, unless you DON'T like listening to your CDs...There are also, many different ways to back brace a HU, this is just one of course.Well, remember that GM antenna adapter, it's time to find it and plug that in to the antenna wire in the car... you NEED this part or you DON'T hook up your antenna..This is a shot of the kit, sans the HU to show that there ARE alignment pins for the kit to slide over...Now, plug in the harness you just made, take the HU/kit to the car and plug in the HU and the antenna and carefully slide the HU into the dash... This make take a few tries, depending on if you have to bend/move the harness out of the way.. It WILL go.... once you are in and lined up on the alignment pins, REMEMBER my electrical tape trick, for the bolts so you don't end up looking for them for an hour down in the dash, screw her in place... Now, fire up the unit... go straight to the audio settings... fade it all the way forward, then all the way back, leave it all the way back and use the balance control to balance to the left and right... Are all the speakers in the proper places??? Good, YOU DID IT.... If not you need to look at the harness, are all the colors with the black stripes lined up?? Prolly not, re-do and you should be good to go... Grab the trim panel, re-connect all of the panel harnesses, careful with that odd cable thinggee, get the panel in place, remember the tab's at the top they go in first and then the panel pivots down and snaps in and YOU ARE DONE...!!!!!!ENJOY THE SWEET SOUNDS OF NOT PAYING FOR AN INSTALL.... Cheers,Aaron
vibe007

Re: Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial (Sublimewind)

Post by vibe007 »

Wow!!! Really good step-by-step.I'm sure it will help lot o peoples.thanx!!!
Moonstone Vibe 2007k&n air filtercustom cargo mattrix rear bumper protectorcustom keyless power doorlockMore to come!
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

This sure did help me. Now if I can persuade my dad to let me buy a head unit. Then we would be good to go.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

nice write up man, i installed my first and only deck in the sunfire, took me about an hour at the most cause i wasnt sure about the wires, lol, i also used the heat shrinkable things for the wires instead of the electrical tape, not that it matters
Sublimewind

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Kevzaz »This sure did help me. Now if I can persuade my dad to let me buy a head unit. Then we would be good to go.Show him the write up, but for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD, stop acting like a total A$$ about your dad, good things come to those who wait... Being an asshat WILL NOT get you anywhere, arm yourself with the PROPER information to allow him to know that the procedure IS NOT going to harm the car if done correctly... When you buy from Crutchfield, you also get EVERYTHING you need to do the install FYI...
Sublimewind

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by WaveAction »nice write up man, i installed my first and only deck in the sunfire, took me about an hour at the most cause i wasnt sure about the wires, lol, i also used the heat shrinkable things for the wires instead of the electrical tape, not that it mattersHeat shrink IS better in most cases, but we do what we know... i've never had a single problem with tape.. but H.S. is better...
vibe-04

Pin Out Detail

Post by vibe-04 »

Great write up. Pls add this to the DIY.I found you could leave all the AC control etc in the bezel and just swing it up onto the dash out of the way. Put a cloth underneath to prevent scratches.I read quickly but did you connect the power antenna power lead? I'll search for the schematic.Pin out: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5396and explained herehttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6799Andrew
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Ehh, I didn't act as much as an (removed) as I said I was. =p But, ya I did show him to tell you the truth, he had no interest, I will try again.
wyatt89

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by wyatt89 »

hey man, my dad was the saaaaame way...it was so annoying...but then i just said screw it and bought all my stuff myself...and put it all in myself with his tools (which of course it was my fault when he couldnt find something after that...) *sigh* oh well, im out now
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Sublimewind

Re: Pin Out Detail (vibe-04)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by vibe-04 »Great write up. Pls add this to the DIY.I found you could leave all the AC control etc in the bezel and just swing it up onto the dash out of the way. Put a cloth underneath to prevent scratches.I read quickly but did you connect the power antenna power lead? I'll search for the schematic.Pin out: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5396and explained herehttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6799AndrewPower antenna lead...no... no power antenna to lead to... lolthanks for the props..
vibe-04

Re: Pin Out Detail (Sublimewind)

Post by vibe-04 »

I meant the antenna amp which is the B3 Black Antenna Amplifier Supply Voltage.The following is a quote from cohocarl and see his link to understand what I mean:If you notice a loss of radio reception, especially on am, you may want to wire up your antenna amp. The stock radio harness fed 12v to the antenna amp, but aftermarket radios don't. See: " TARGET="_blank">http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5952
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Just added to the Mod List!
~MRVIBE2006~

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ~MRVIBE2006~ »

Top notch thread! Lots of good info there! Now if you can do a door speakers installation, that would be great! Thanks a bunch!
2006 ABYSS VIBE: 20% TINT ALL AROUND FRONT & REAR SPLASH GUARDS MAGNAFLOW CAT-BACK EXHAUST GOODYEAR EAGLE GT (235/45/17) WITH TC WHEELS (SUMMER) DUNLOP WINTER SPORT M3 (215/55/16) ON STOCK ALLOYS (WINTER) AUTO VENTSHADE WINDOW VENTS PLUS SUNROOF VENT K/N AIR FILTER,OTHER DRESS-UP GOODIES...
Sublimewind

Re: (~MRVIBE2006~)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ~MRVIBE2006~ »Top notch thread! Lots of good info there! Now if you can do a door speakers installation, that would be great! Thanks a bunch!I'm working on it... I got some crappy Infinity Refrence coax's from my Subie that will be going into the Vibe at some point... yes, I denounce Infinity speakers, but free is free... lol
audiovibe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by audiovibe »

Toss the pioneers in mang. How do thoes sound btw I still haven heard them. We could be twins I think same name, same car, same hobby.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
Sublimewind

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »Toss the pioneers in mang. How do thoes sound btw I still haven heard them. We could be twins I think same name, same car, same hobby.AronN o way mang, they are going in the Subie.... Are you a part of DIYMA?? Check out my work log... http://www.diymobileaudio.com/...24011
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

I need to sign up on the DIY fourms, a guy at the Chicago MP3Car meet is on there and always tells me about it.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

keepin it fresh bump
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Great write up.. it doesn't get much better!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Sublimewind

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze »Great write up.. it doesn't get much better!Thanks man, I aim to please and have been doing to for a LONG time... !
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Finally will be installing my HU hopefully the end of this week, if not early part of next week... Your guide will be used for reference with mounting if I have any problems, but this to be one of the easier installs that I'll get to do. Worst install I did was on a early 90's Buick Regal, had the little square head unit, and the seperate tape deck lower in the dash. This was in 96 before they had every wiring harness available.. I think I ended up re-wiring all the speakers, man what a P.I.T.A...
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze »Finally will be installing my HU hopefully the end of this week, if not early part of next week... Your guide will be used for reference with mounting if I have any problems, but this to be one of the easier installs that I'll get to do. Worst install I did was on a early 90's Buick Regal, had the little square head unit, and the seperate tape deck lower in the dash. This was in 96 before they had every wiring harness available.. I think I ended up re-wiring all the speakers, man what a P.I.T.A... As you can see it's really quite easy.... you'll do fine... Yeah, ALL the early 90's GM's just SUCKED for doing installs in... I did most of my install work in the mid 90's so I know this well... As always, i'm very honored that people are getting use out of this...
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

? for you... any suggestion to get rid of the "white noise" in the background w/the monsoon system? I had a feeling I might have some noise due to seperate amp... and no, A.M. is out of the question... it was tough enough to cough up $215 for the HU. The wife would kill me if I bought a full setup.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze »? for you... any suggestion to get rid of the "white noise" in the background w/the monsoon system? I had a feeling I might have some noise due to seperate amp... and no, A.M. is out of the question... it was tough enough to cough up $215 for the HU. The wife would kill me if I bought a full setup.Not really man, it's inherient to the overall system... The inherent "noise floor" is part of why "low end" equipement gear is low end... things like noise floor aren't on the top of the list of things to do.. Also MOST recordings have a recorded noise floor, you can hear this between most tracks. The tracks fades out, you hear the noise, then the unit goes to "zero bits" as the track changes..... if you can find, download and burn a "zero bit" track and play it, it will give you a true measure of what the real noise floor IS... Most times this noise floor isn't preceptiable, because the volums of the cars noise floor is generally higher than that of the system... Oh, BTW, I could put together a "system" for you that would ROCK for <500, good quality gear to, you already have a HU... a single 4ch amp, 2ch running the front and 2ch bridged to a sub and a set of budget components(which some really nice ones are out there right now).... GOLDEN...
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

I think if I did put something in the car, I'd probably go with either a 5ch amp or a 4ch & a 1ch (or 2ch bridged mono)...but for now, this will have to do. Only real reason I did the upgrade was I was sick of loading 6 discs, no MP3, and I always get calls in my car with my damn phone in my pocket. I kind of got out of the whole Car Audio thing when stuff kept going missing on me... Was kind of sick of dealing with insurance for broken glass if you know what I mean.
hbutko

Re: Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial (vibe007)

Post by hbutko »

Excellent write up! I recently installed a double din Pioneer head into my Vibe using the same Metra kit. I didnt solder the blue amp wires together on the harness because i didnt have an amp. when I plugged the stereo in I had no sound. I forgot that I have the Moons and Tunes package, so I didnt realize that I have a factory amp, pulled the unit out and soldered the amp wires together and presto Sound.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Thank you..! Congratz on the install..
Chuck McKnight

Post by Chuck McKnight »

Got my head unit installed today. Thanks for the write-up! It was very helpful.Unfortunately, the kit I got didn't really fit the Vibe perfectly, so I had to Dremel the screw slots further in a bit. It's still not perfect, but adjusting it further will have to wait until another day.Overall, though, I'm quite happy with the result.However, I did have a question. There was an extra plug left in the dash. It went in the stock head-unit but had no counterpart slot on the aftermarket unit. The number embossed on it is PBT-GF30.What is it? Is it needed? And how can I hook it up, if so? For now, the stereo seems to be playing fine without it.Also, the wiring harness I bought came with a red wire that doesn't seem to go with anything. On it is written "12 volt ignition switched." Do I need that for anything?Both mystery parts are pictured below.Thanks!

Attached files
My Twitter | My Facebook
Chuck McKnight

Post by Chuck McKnight »

Bump. No one knows?
My Twitter | My Facebook
astro001

Post by astro001 »

Thank you for such a detailed tutorial. I just installed (see attachment) a Jensen DVD VM9224BT in my son's 2004 Vibe as a Birthday Present.https://skydrive.live.com/?cid...hotos[IMG][/IMG]Being the hero in your son eyes, no matter how old they are = priceless.Thanks again

Attached files
scstudy

Re: Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial (vibe007)

Post by scstudy »

I received an extra red wire which says 12 volt on it with the harness. Where do I attach that so I can have power to the HU? I have an orange and red wire coming off the HU with nothing to attach it to. Any help?
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

You did not show a part number for the antenna adapter. Would this one work? Metra 40-GM10Thanks - Mike
2003 base model
scstudy

Re: Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial (mntn-biker)

Post by scstudy »

I found the right one through crutchfield - the other was missing the power wires. Lesson learned. Thanks.
hhlragnarok

Re: Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial

Post by hhlragnarok »

So I am wondering, with the HU replaced, does it mean that the alarm system will also gone?
2003 Vibe Base 5-spd
keithvibe

Re: Sublimewinds, Head unit install tutorial

Post by keithvibe »

hhlragnarok wrote:So I am wondering, with the HU replaced, does it mean that the alarm system will also gone?
alarm system? :lol:
you mean the blinking light?
It's just that, a blinking light...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.