Whats that harness for?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
breezd

Whats that harness for?

Post by breezd »

I decided today to take my Pioneer HU out of my Contour and put it in the Vibe. Install wen't pretty good... except for the crappy Scosche bracket I bought at Walmart... but it'll do til next payday...Anyways... when removing the OEM HU, there are two harnesses on mine. The main 24Pin one, and then a smaller harness (not sure how many pins) that only had one wire going to it. I dont have OnStar, no M&T package that I'm aware of at least... just the 4 speakers in the doors and the 2 tweeters. I left the harness unplugged, and the system sounds fine... What exactly is that one-wire harness for?
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
joatmon

Re: Whats that harness for? (breezd)

Post by joatmon »

On cars with the moon&tunes, the second connector has one white wire in it, it is some sort of mute control between the headunit and the external amp.
breezd

Re: Whats that harness for? (joatmon)

Post by breezd »

How can I tell if I have the M&T package? I've got a moonroof... and there is some sort of equipment under the passenger seat but i'm not sure if its an amp or what. I don't have any problems with the sound system now with my aftermarket HU... should I have hooked that wire up anywhere or just leave it be?
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
binary

Post by binary »

You got a sub in the trunk, along the passenger side cargo area.It's an obvious speaker grill with a monsoon logo on it.Or look under the passenger seat for a black box - that's the amp for the whole system.
breezd

Re: Whats that harness for? (binary)

Post by breezd »

Quote, originally posted by binary »You got a sub in the trunk, along the passenger side cargo area.It's an obvious speaker grill with a monsoon logo on it.Or look under the passenger seat for a black box - that's the amp for the whole system.Nope, no Monsoon logos. And from what I was reading in other threads, I wouldn't have the sub since I have a 03.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

03 Vibe + moonroof = moon&tunesThe thing under the front passenger seat is the external amplifierI don't know how or when the stock headunit uses that mute control line, but if your new headunit works fine with it not hooked up, then I'd say don't worry about it
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by breezd »I don't have any problems with the sound system now with my aftermarket HU... should I have hooked that wire up anywhere or just leave it be?Just leave it be (unhooked) - I had an aftermarket HU in my Vibe for years and that harness was happy being left unused behind the HU.
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by breezd »Nope, no Monsoon logos. And from what I was reading in other threads, I wouldn't have the sub since I have a 03. Doh! Missed that small part, oh wait - you didn't mention that! Maybe slightly off topic - would the OnStar use this connection? Or was it not available in '03 either?
breezd

Re: Whats that harness for? (binary)

Post by breezd »

Quote, originally posted by binary »Doh! Missed that small part, oh wait - you didn't mention that! Yeah... well... Binary, I just realized you are in Janesville... I'm like 45 min from you.
VivaVibe

Post by VivaVibe »

Quote, originally posted by breezd »How can I tell if I have the M&T package?If you have the moon-roof, tweeters and a box under the passenger seat, then you DO have Moon-n-Tunes. In 04 the Monsoon in the back was an option, and it was included as part of M&T in 05.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage