PIE GM12-AUXV2 Adapter Problem. Please HELP!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
stoavio

PIE GM12-AUXV2 Adapter Problem. Please HELP!

Post by stoavio »

My new PIE GM12-AUXv2 adapter arrived from DiscountCarStero today and I attempted to install it with the help of an expert installer at Best Buy in the Mobile Audio department where I work. This guy is simply amazing at what he does. We have stores from all over the territory calling him to ask questions on installs and other car related issues. I scarcely believe there's anything he doesn't know about mobile audio which is why this has me so worried.I followed all of the instructions to a T (except step number 1 which advises disconnecting the negative battery terminal). The installer informed me that this is just a safety precaution which in this case wasn't really necessary. Everything is connected as it should be and the jumper is set to 'CHANGER' on the inside of the adapter because I have the following car:(A2) 2003 single CD (w/ AM/FM button and CD/AUX button) and Moon & TunesWe tested to ensure we tapped into 12v constant power. How can I test to ensure it's grounded properly and if it isn't, would that be the reason for the head unit not recognizing it? When I press the AUX button with my iPod playing a song and connected to the patch cable I get absolutely zero response. What's worse is that because my CD player has been disconnected now 2 times since I've owned the vehicle, which I bought used, the backlight on the display has completely burnt out! Is this a common issue? Has it happened to anyone else? Is there anyway to fix it or do I have to buy a whole new OEM CD player? I'm really bummin right now. Any suggestions anyone could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!Mason
stoavio

Re: PIE GM12-AUXV2 Adapter Problem. Please HELP! (stoavio)

Post by stoavio »

DISCOVERY The sticker on the OEM CD player says: MANUFACTURED IN: 9/12/02. Does that mean this radio isn't CLASS-II?I have to buy a new OEM radio because of the burnt out display anyway so maybe replacing the radio with one manufactured in 2003 would solve the problem?
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

Just an update. I fiddled around some more with it and confirmed that I am indeed tapped into 12v constant and ground. The 12v constant is blue/white and the ground is brown. The jumper is correctly set inside of the unit to "Changer" but it still doesn't work. Any thoughts? I'm still thinking it might be my radio? How can I tell if it's class-II RDS?
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

I did some poking around after I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. It turns out it may have been erroneously added to the compatibility list started here on the forums. I've since used the "outfitmycar" application on Cructhfield.com and according to that, it's not compatible with an 03 M&T Vibe . It's been listed for sale in the appropriate forum.
Herb

Re: (stoavio)

Post by Herb »

I don't think any device out there outside of an FM modulator would work wit the 2003 model.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

its not listed on the crutchfield site to work with my 05 vibe either but i have one and it works finetry using the band button, it will cycle thru the fm and am then go to the input...or at least it does on my 05 with the moon and tunes. also crank the volume up on the radio and have the volume up on your ipod too.i have a creative zen and have the volume on that at 18 (max is 25) and my radio turned up to around half and my music plays at a "normal" volumeif you need to replace your radio it may be cheaper to get an aftermarket headunit with an auxillary input on the front

Attached files
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

@Herb: I refuse to believe that! In fact, I'm sure I've read otherwise. I think AUX2CAR works in 2003 models. @Coldmm803: Thanks for the input. My radio has a CD/AUX button though, no BAND button.
kevera

Post by kevera »

You must have a band button.It's the FM/AM selector.That's how I access my input from the ipod.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
stoavio

Re: (kevera)

Post by stoavio »

@kavera: There's no button on my CD player that specifically says BAND. I have an AM/FM button and a CD/AUX button. Are you just calling the AM/FM button the BAND button or are you referring to a button labeled BAND?
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

After talking to Frank at PIE, he suggested that perhaps the radio wasn't programmed for an external CD changer. It does have a 12-pin data port on the back which indicates that it's Class-II, however. Is there any way to determine whether or not the radio has been programmed for an external CD changer?
catbb67

Post by catbb67 »

Installed the GM12-Aux (not the GM-AuxV2). It works great except the volume level is very low. No hiz even at low vol. These are the specifics:- Have a 2007 Vibe with single CD with XM, no changer.- The jumper is set to XM.- Grounded to the frame directly instead of the brown cable on the stereo.- Tap 12v from blue/white cable on stereo.Power and ground must both be connected before XM or Aux input will even work.The PIE instruction sheet says to toggle b/w XM and Aux input by seek/track up twice and seek/track down twice. That is false. Their website FAQ says seek/track up once and down once. It works like a charm.Need to get the PIE LD-1 or some other line amp to boots the ipod signal as I have to max out the ipod volume. But if I use the dock out which is fix, I have to have some kind of line amp.BTW: What is different b/w the GM12-AUX and the AUXV2?
jeybone

Post by jeybone »

So how is comming now? I also have a 2003 VIbe with moon and tunes, and the same PIE device. I could not get mine too work either. I think I am going to sell it to someone, and hope it works for them, otherwise I got a bad unit, and it is way to late to return it.
-JEYBONE-auto-moon and tunes-18" primax wheels-toyo proxes tires