Can my 03 vibe radio be replaced with an 06 radio?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
vibewolf

Can my 03 vibe radio be replaced with an 06 radio?

Post by vibewolf »

I was just wondering if an 06 or 07 radio will fit in a 03 vibe? I want to replace my radio because it is all scratched up and its not a very pretty view lol......????P.S i am a new usr to genvibe just got my vibe last month!!!!
vibewolf

Post by vibewolf »

Any comments lol?
GrayFox

Re: (vibewolf)

Post by GrayFox »

I *think* they changed it in 05+ for the Vibe.I *know* the Matrix has a differnet head unit after 05.I don't know that much about audio stuff so maybe someone else can answer you a little better You could always hit-up a junkyard (good luck) or eBay and find a good 03 just to be safe...
vibewolf

Post by vibewolf »

Yeah thats about all i know about the radios too lol......but if thats the case i will prolly just get a new cd player....like a sony, pioneer, kenwood...ext...
Raven

Re: Can my 03 vibe radio be replaced with an 06 radio? (vibewolf)

Post by Raven »

They are all identical. I know because I got a box of 4 Vibe radios from '03s and '04s and they all fit but none of them worked properly. My '06 radio has half of the screen burnt out and yes I'm out of warranty by mileage. All Vibe radios are junk so if yours works, keep it.
vibewolf

Post by vibewolf »

alrighty thanx 4 the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

You would be soooo much better off with a new aftermarket unit... Much more control and much better clarity...
vibewolf

Post by vibewolf »

whats an after market unit???? .......like a new 03 radio?
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

After market units are the stereos you buy at a store or online, JVC, Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, etc. Go to http://www.crutchfield.com and browse their site. Good prices and lots of good information.
vibewolf

Post by vibewolf »

oooo lol i had no idea well thts what i plan on getting and thats the same website where i plan to get one lol i posted the one i want on my other forum!! thanx for the advice......
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by vibewolf »oooo lol i had no idea well thts what i plan on getting and thats the same website where i plan to get one lol i posted the one i want on my other forum!! thanx for the advice......In your other POST, POST not FORUM, this is the forum the whole site, broken down into sections and then into threads or posts.... You have much to learn young grasshopper..
vibewolf

Post by vibewolf »

lol sorry my bad i will learn
joatmon

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »In your other POST, POST not FORUM, this is the forum the whole site, broken down into sections and then into threads or posts.... perhaps. Then again, it could be considered that forums.genvibe.com is the site, which contains multiple forums, such as Vibe Lounge, Off Topic, etc. It is forums.genvibe.com, plural, indicating there are multiple forums at the site. In each of those forums, there are threads, or this forum software calls them "topics", made up of posts. Since this and the other are both in the "Audio, Electronics, Electrical" forum, then calling the other thread "my other forum" is not accurate, unless it was intended to be "my other (related) forum thread/topic"I like the OEM head units. I say pick up one off ebay for cheap, such as http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-stereo...wItem which is currently $0.99 + $10 shipping. Or get a CD/tape unit from a earlier matrix, such as http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Mat...wItem ( $20 + $10 shipping) so you can get a cheap tape adapter and have an easy ipod hookup. Either way, install/replacement is token easy, compared to more complicated aftermarket install. Cheaper too!
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by vibewolf »lol sorry my bad i will learn I know man, that is what i was trying to do, teach you something new. You will see, i'm alllll about teaching, not telling...
Sublimewind

Re: (joatmon)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »perhaps. Then again, it could be considered that forums.genvibe.com is the site, which contains multiple forums, such as Vibe Lounge, Off Topic, etc. It is forums.genvibe.com, plural, indicating there are multiple forums at the site. In each of those forums, there are threads, or this forum software calls them "topics", made up of posts. Since this and the other are both in the "Audio, Electronics, Electrical" forum, then calling the other thread "my other forum" is not accurate, unless it was intended to be "my other (related) forum thread/topic"I like the OEM head units. I say pick up one off ebay for cheap, such as http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-stereo...wItem which is currently $0.99 + $10 shipping. Or get a CD/tape unit from a earlier matrix, such as http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Mat...wItem ( $20 + $10 shipping) so you can get a cheap tape adapter and have an easy ipod hookup. Either way, install/replacement is token easy, compared to more complicated aftermarket install. Cheaper too!you are correct... As far as the stereo, i guarentee that almost any aftermarket unit, WILL sound better than the stock unit it replaces...
jamalogist

Re: Can my 03 vibe radio be replaced with an 06 radio? (Sunny)

Post by jamalogist »

You guys, stop bashing the Vibe stereos.I replaced mine, and believe me, did I ever live to regret it.You don't know what you are removing here. These units have one of the most sensitive tuners, they have an always-on clock, they are quite durable actually -- and I dare you to find me an aftermarket unit that will display song names playing on FM stations. With a factory amp on the M&T, the only reason I would upgrade is if you have some additional types of media (HD, Sirius, XM, iPod, mp3 on CD) that you simply need to add. But even in that case, with an external amp, you could probably just hardware those as an extra input, with an A/B switch. As for compatibility, I read on another thread that a VIN # of your car needs to be programmed into any factory unit salvaged from another Vibe. So if you do proceed with this, and run into any problems, this may be a reason.
2003 Vibe AWD w/Moon & Tunes (factory head unit only)
Raven

Re: Can my 03 vibe radio be replaced with an 06 radio? (jamalogist)

Post by Raven »

There is no need to reprogram your VIN# into a salvaged radio nor is there any way to do it. Of the 4 salvaged radios I tried, the one with part of the display burned out works perfectly other than the display problem. The stock radios may have some nice features but durability is not one of them. There are hundreds and probably thousands that fail under warranty or just out of warranty like mine. If you have a working one stick with it but if it fails out of warranty don't waste your time and money getting another one.
joatmon

Re: (joatmon)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I like the OEM head units. I say pick up one off ebay for cheap, such as http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-stereo...wItem which is currently $0.99 + $10 shipping. Or get a CD/tape unit from a earlier matrix, such as http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Mat...wItem ( $20 + $10 shipping) that standard unit went unsold with no bids, not even the starting $0.99 bid. The CD/tape unit, however, went for $113.50 with shipping, maybe more than it should be worth, but that's a judgement call. Some people laugh at the idea of cassettes, some still really want them.
98ex

Post by 98ex »

I'd say go with a Matrix unit with the 6 disc changer. That is the one I use and I love the FM text information it scrolls(never have to figure out what freking song is playing anymore.) Sucks though cause I want HD radio now and don't want to give that feature up. The 6 disc changer I can do without, but really like that FM text.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I don't listen to the radio, so the text thing means nothing to me... I do however, like good sound and the stock unit just doesn't have that...
ragingfish

Re: (98ex)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by 98ex »I'd say go with a Matrix unit with the 6 disc changer. That is the one I use and I love the FM text information it scrolls(never have to figure out what freking song is playing anymore.) Sucks though cause I want HD radio now and don't want to give that feature up. The 6 disc changer I can do without, but really like that FM text.Be careful.I believe once Toyota started putting their own radios in the trix, the wiring connections changed in the Matrix. Meaning, a Matrix radio would no longer be interchangeable with a Vibe. I cannot say this for sure however, having never seen a Toyota radio's wiring in comparison to the Vibes.Also, I haven't been following the Vibe that closely recently, but if the 06/07 or 08 models have the driver information center (DIC), then you cannot use a different radio. I'm pretty sure they DO NOT support that feature, since I vaguely recall people saying that OnStar cannot do remote diagnostics, which would indicate the lack of a true-blue GM DataBus and/or GMLAN system which supports those features. As to the ones who say the stock radios suck, I disagree as well. I had replaced my vibe's radio with an aftermarket setup: head unit, speakers, amp, the works. The sound clarity was phenomenal -- but the amp always had issues. I had a bad connection somewhere that I never could find to fix, and I did miss many of the features of my stock radio (such as ease of use! SHEESH!)That being said, I think if I had kept the stock head unit, and simply changed out the speakers (the Vibe's stock speakers were the worst of any car I had owned, in MY opinion), I think I would have been just as happy.My G6, now, has the BEST stock system of any of my previous cars! The sound is crisp, the bass is perfect (I have to keep it on the lowest setting or it's too much for me!! ), and it does everything I want it to. I only have two gripes with it. One, there is no way to directly input a channel number on XM. To get to a channel, I have to spin spin spin spin spin the knob. Gets annoying, and if I'm tuning to a station far up the dial from where I am, it takes my eyes off the road for an uncomfortable length of time. Two, the display does not scroll or support long text tags for XM. So unlike the SkyFi2, which will receive and scroll a title, artist, or other information that is longer than it's display, the stock radio in the G6 will only display the first 16 characters of any text item. And that's all you'll get. No if's, and's, or but's. Annoying.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
98ex

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by 98ex »

I believe that the 03 and 04 models were interchangable from I had been told before, but like you I am not 100% sure. I can't remember where, but I saw somewhere that had a wiring harness designed and built to allow you to convert Vibe to Matrix or vice versa.I doublt I will get an aftermarket cause my system is hard wired into the stock unit (have a friend who is a tech at Toyota dealership) He cracked open everything and permanately connected all wires for my subs (they run off the signal of the rear speakers, and are fully controlled from my stock unit bass knob) I am wanting to wire in a kill switch for the times I do not need it, but have been lazy and have not done it.
jamalogist

Re: (98ex)

Post by jamalogist »

Quote, originally posted by 98ex » Sucks though cause I want HD radio now and don't want to give that feature up. The 6 disc changer I can do without, but really like that FM text.You won't give it up with HD-radio. Although most head units' FM tuners don't offer RDS anymore, like the factory Vibe units do, that feature does resurface when you step up to HD tuners (and of course satellite radio).Unfortunately, Crutchfield only has two HD-radio head units at this time. The JVC one I'm not impressed with -- I tried it, and it had the same poor AM reception as its non-HD predecessor model, which I've tried in my Vibe for a few months. And the Alpine is $1,499.. ouch..
2003 Vibe AWD w/Moon & Tunes (factory head unit only)
vibewolf

Re: (jamalogist)

Post by vibewolf »

hey everyone i finally gathereed the money and purchased my new radio.......i cant wait to recieve it and install it..........hopefully all goes well this is the one i baught what do u all think????????????????????

Attached files
vibewolf

Post by vibewolf »

any opinions??????????/
Raven

Post by Raven »

Looks good. You should replace the cheap paper cone stock speakers. That deck is too beautiful to be stuck with them.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Personally, I hate kenwood systems. Had one once, was a POS. And for what I paid for it, I should've been blown away. Would never buy one again.Just my feelings though...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

That's a fine radio. I sell it all the time and hear a lot of positive feedback. How are you liking yours? Any qualms? Any praises? Let us know how it's working out for you. I'm also in the process of looking for a new OEM radio for my 2003 M&T Vibe. I'm finding that many of the radios from other years look exactly the same as my 03 radio in terms of connections on the back which begs the question, will they work because they LOOK the same (24-pin and 12-pin connections) or is the internal circuitry so much different that it wouldn't work? If a person has an 03 Vibe, how many years forward can they expect the radios to be compatible? 04? 05? Or can an 03 radio ONLY be replaced with another 03 radio? Also, I took a peak inside of my OEM radio and saw several references to Toyota.