Does installing aftermarket HU void warranty?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
JPark

Does installing aftermarket HU void warranty?

Post by JPark »

Hey all, new used Vibe owner here (the "used" applies to the Vibe, not the owner). Awesome car.I'm debating my options for connecting my iPod right now, and one of the weightier issues to consider is Does doing your own installation of an aftermarket HU void your warranty? I did my own install on my last car ('97 Subaru Impreza wagon ), but that already had 92k miles on it so the warranty wasn't much of a concern. The day after I bought my Vibe I noticed the recirc button was stuck so I took it in to the dealer. The nice lady said anything electrical was still under warranty, as long as I hadn't done anything like mess around with the stereo. Is that true?
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
Whelan

Re: Does installing aftermarket HU void warranty? (JPark)

Post by Whelan »

If you have a problem you switch back, as I said before you can do anything you want to a leased car, just make sure you put it back prior to having an issue fixed or returned. If you showed up at the dealer with an electrical problem and some new speakers, head unit, sub was all hooked up, then you would void. Hence I own, anything I do doesn't touch the warranty (to a degree) and I wont have to switch it out ever, not ever for service, which I do myself so I have no issues. I never really trusted dealerships or most service places to touch my cars.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jwalcik

Re: Does installing aftermarket HU void warranty? (Whelan)

Post by jwalcik »

Installing an aftermarket stereo won't void your factory warranty as long as you don't damage anything in the process. For instance, if you install the stereo and cut the wires for your flashers rather than unplugging the connector when you remove the trim plate, that won't be covered. But if you install an aftermarket stereo and the switch to turn your fog lights on fails a year later, you're covered. In situations where it's in question, the burden of proof lies on the dealership. They have to show that something you did is responsible the damage.
2005 vibe gt
JPark

Re: Does installing aftermarket HU void warranty? (jwalcik)

Post by JPark »

That's encouraging. Thanks for the tips.
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted