Problem w/ GM12-AUXv2 Install - Any advice?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Smitty

Problem w/ GM12-AUXv2 Install - Any advice?

Post by Smitty »

Hey guys,So I tried installing the GM12-AUXv2 device this weekend, so I could play my MP3 player over my stereo. Other users have installed it w/o any problems, so I thought I would give it a try. The install went pretty smoothly and I feel like I have everything hooked up properly -- Sadly, though, when I turn on the car/stereo, it's as if I never installed the device (i.e. I can't access the AUX function). I have a 2003 base vibe (no moons & tunes package or 6 disc changer) -- which is the A1 setup describe in the "sticky" AUX thread -- and when I hit CD/AUX button, all I get is the CD player, no Auxiliary option. Also, there is no symbol next to the CD icon on the stereo screen indicating there is an additional device hooked up to the stereo. I know the device needs to be set to "class II" or "changer" mode for my vehicle, which I did -- (I also tried the XM setting, just in case that might work - it didn't).Given those facts -- any advice on what to do? My initial thought was maybe it's not getting power, even though I used a "quick splice" to tap into the blue and white power cable on the back of the stereo harness. It's the first time I've ever used a quick splice, so there's a chance (I suppose) I did it incorrectly. Will I damage the wire if I pull off the quick splice and try to re-do it? Or is there a way I can easily check if the AUX device is getting power (there are no lights on it or anything)?Also, any chance this particular AUX device isn't compatible with my 2003 base vibe? My stereo has the 12 pin connector in the back for the device to go into, but there wasn't anything there before the install since I don't have XM or a disc changer. The device also has a female connector to receive an XM or disc changer pin from, but since I don't have those, it just hangs there unused. Could that be part of the problem?I'm hoping there's another 2003 base vibe owner out there who might have run into similar problems with this device. All suggestions and thoughts are welcome though. Thanks!Smitty
*2003 Base Vibe* -- Shadow w/ AT, Power Package, 16'' Rims
cieglo

Re: Problem w/ GM12-AUXv2 Install - Any advice? (Smitty)

Post by cieglo »

I can't find the thread now, but a long time ago I remember something about the '03 not being compatible. I have an '03 GT with the 6CD and would love this option. Instead, I got the VRFM9 by VR3 and I am very pleased with it - though the AUX option would be better... Ugly Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Wma-...r=1-1
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
cieglo

Re: Problem w/ GM12-AUXv2 Install - Any advice? (Smitty)

Post by cieglo »

I might stand corrected by myself:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=22938
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

try using the band button
Burn

Re: (coldmm803)

Post by Burn »

Is it working?I was about to buy the same system for my 03 base vibe...Should I?
Smitty

Re: (Burn)

Post by Smitty »

Nope, not yet. Haven't had much time to fiddle around with it. Hoping to be able to work on it tonight. I'll let you know if I have any success.Is there anybody out there who has successfully installed this (or any other AUX device) in a base '03 vibe?Smitty
*2003 Base Vibe* -- Shadow w/ AT, Power Package, 16'' Rims
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

Any update on this? I'm facing the exact same problem with my 2003 Moon & Tunes Vibe. Ideas? Thanks
GMJAP

Re: (stoavio)

Post by GMJAP »

Hmmm.Try pressing the AM/FM as already suggested to see if it will select the XM bands, though I wouldn't be suprised if this didn't work.What other settings besides "Class 2" are available on the GM12-AUXV2?Try each of these and see if you are able to select it on either CD/AUX or AM/FM. I would suggest turning the ignition OFF and disconnecting the battery power to the GM12-AUXv2 before changing the mode and then reconnecting after. (Some devices only check the mode settings when first powered up.)I know that the peripheral AUX2CAR has been successfully installed on a 2003, and the PAC and NEO products are essentially the same. However, it may have been a bad assumption that the same would be true of the PIE products. I'm updating the sticky post until this gets resolved.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

@GMJAP: Oh yikes! I didn't know it was only hypothesized that those vehicle / aux adapter configurations were compatible. I thought they were tried and true. Silly me. Did you get my message? Would you kindly visit the thread I linked you to? Thanks!
stoavio

Post by stoavio »

@Smitty: According to the Crutchfield.com outfitmycar application, this adapter isn't compatible with your car (or mine). View the product here and use the fit guide