Changing woofers

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
phunkyvibe

Changing woofers

Post by phunkyvibe »

Just curious about something for a second. In the area where the stock sub is on the 2006 Vibe, Im thinking of replacing it with a bigger one, and maybe cutting the hole a little bigger to fit one in. The dilemma: Will the magnet interfear with the sound being that it will be so close to the inside of the body? I realize that it doesnt affect the stock sub, but the new sub will obviously have more depth, and therefore might affect the sound. Just trying to conserve space in the back and not have the big box style subs.
RePo

Re: Changing woofers (phunkyvibe)

Post by RePo »

I doubt if it would sound very good. The air space has a specific displacement for that size of subwoofer. If you replace it with a larger sub, that new sub will have larger space requirements for the volume of the enclosure. One you cut it out, won't be able to go back to the factory mount again for the original speaker diameter either.
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
phunkyvibe

Re: Changing woofers (RePo)

Post by phunkyvibe »

Ya, i figured as much, but I wouldnt cut the hole out until i knew that it was a for sure thing. And I wouldnt be worried about never putting the factory stuff back in, I would probably just sell it as it was if it came down to it. But thanks for your input
keithvibe

Re: Changing woofers (phunkyvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

Not to mention that an upgraded sub probley wouldn't be powered well enough by the stock amp. And I think there is an issue with oms as well with the replacements.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
phunkyvibe

Re: Changing woofers (keithvibe)

Post by phunkyvibe »

Oh i had plans to install an amp, it takes up less room, i can hide the amp anywhere, sub box not so much.