LOUDER Horn!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Vibetastic

LOUDER Horn!

Post by Vibetastic »

I have a 2005 Vibe with the stock horn. I'd really like something louder to blast at the idiots who cut me off and then flip me off.I own a VW Baja Bug with Bosch air horn. This thing is LOUD...like a scream out of Hell! I've seen people jump in their seat at the sound of that horn.Is this something I can install in a Vibe without problems? The Vibe has much more complicated electronic than a '57 Bug. I don't want to install it and find out it's causing problems with the OnStar or other electronics on the Vibe.The Bosch air horn uses alot of power. The headlight dim on my VW everytime I use it even with the relay that came with the kit.Anyone use one of these on a Vibe? Charles
Proud owner of a 2005 Vibe. Moon & TunesAlloy wheelsOnStar Lava with Slate interior
djb383

Re: LOUDER Horn! (Vibetastic)

Post by djb383 »

The safest way to mount any high amp draw gadget is to run it thru a relay so that full power is taken from the battery directly to the gadget and not thru the switch and then to the gadget. This should eliminate the lights dimming and wires being overloaded. At 139db the Stebel is one of the loudest horns available, especially for it's size and comes with a relay.http://www.twistedthrottle.com.../2137/
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
tcam

Re: LOUDER Horn! (djb383)

Post by tcam »

I know a lot of people here on GV have gone with the HELLA dual horns.http://www.autobarn.net/twinsuphorki.htmljust another option
JustinVGT

Post by JustinVGT »

Years ago when I looked into replacing my horn, just about everyone here was recommending the Hella Supertones. That's what I bought, but I have a hard time recommending them. I have had problems ever since I bought them and the low tone keeps being very temperamental. They sound great when they work, the problem is they have rarely ever worked right, and sometimes don't even work at all (safety hazard). I don't use my horns much more than a few times a year, so it's not like they are worn out. I bought them off ebay and the seller even replaced the first set for me after only being installed for a month or two. Maybe he sold me fake Hellas and that is the reason. The horns seemed legit when I got them, but I really don't know for sure. The thing is, I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with them, so as long as you buy from a reputable source, I'm sure you'll be fine. The do look great with their red covers showing through the grill.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
jwalcik

Re: LOUDER Horn! (tcam)

Post by jwalcik »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »I know a lot of people here on GV have gone with the HELLA dual horns.http://www.autobarn.net/twinsuphorki.htmljust another optionI can second the recommendation for the Hella Dual Tones. With ragingfish's instructions I was able to install them without incident, and they've worked flawless me for me since they were installed.
2005 vibe gt
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

death to those who type in all bold!!!!!!!!!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

The Stebel one sound like it might be a good one. I want a horn that will wake the dead! Something that people will talk about for years after they hear it.
Proud owner of a 2005 Vibe. Moon & TunesAlloy wheelsOnStar Lava with Slate interior
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by Vibetastic »The Stebel one sound like it might be a good one. I want a horn that will wake the dead! Something that people will talk about for years after they hear it. you mean like this?? lolhttp://videos.streetfire.net/v...4.htm
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

Yes. That is what I want.
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

Does anyone know the DB level of the stock horn?
joejoev

Post by joejoev »

I just installed a Stebel Nautilus earlier this week. I bought it on eBay like a year ago and just finally put it in. (Nothing like being on top of things, eh?) Just like in tcam's video post, it'll make people jump.I was anxious to use it in traffic. Two days after the install finally got my wish. I was driving the left lane of a surface street and a guy in the right lane went to change lanes without signalling or checking for clearance (he was on his cell). I layed on the Stebel he turned to look at me, jerked the wheel and went up on the curb! As I passed by with a smile, the look on his face was priceless...wide eyes, jaw dropped!Stebel Nautilus - What's in the box:- Horn- Relay- Spacer Block (didn't need it)- Bolt & NutYou need to add some wiring and terminals/connectors.It's a snug fit, but it'll install nicely in the OEM location. Took a bit longer than I expected to install. Mainly because I couldn't get my grilles to pop out. Think it was because I have Mr. Grille billets (name drop). Plus there's the extra wiring for the relay, finding a safe place for the relay, and getting the nut on the bolt from underneath the car. BEing a neat-freak didn't help either. The supplied bolt fit perfectly in the OEM hole. The install is a bit strange because to you have to screw the bolt in almost all the way, mount the horn on the bolt head, then tighten up the nut to make everything secure.You can listen to Stebel's horns at their website:http://www.stebel.itThink I bought mine from "safemoto" (name drop) on eBay. He has the Nautilus horns for $34.95 + $11.95 S&H.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by Vibetastic »Does anyone know the DB level of the stock horn?I think it's 6dB.
tcam

Re: LOUDER Horn! (joejoev)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by joejoev »I just installed a Stebel Nautilus earlier this week. I bought it on eBay like a year ago and just finally put it in. (Nothing like being on top of things, eh?) Just like in tcam's video post, it'll make people jump.I was anxious to use it in traffic. Two days after the install finally got my wish. I was driving the left lane of a surface street and a guy in the right lane went to change lanes without signalling or checking for clearance (he was on his cell). I layed on the Stebel he turned to look at me, jerked the wheel and went up on the curb! As I passed by with a smile, the look on his face was priceless...wide eyes, jaw dropped!haha, that's priceless. The only way I can make people jump is to do a quick burnout or something.
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

Thanks, everyone.I think I will go for the Stebel horn. It's loud and compact. Perfect for my car.
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

Well, I bought the Stebel horn.Where is a good place to mount the relay?.
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

I am curious, I don't like to change things much. I want it so when I sell the car, I just take off my things and put the OEM back on. So is there a louder horn out there that I can just "plug in" and go. I have been asking the same with the fog lamps. I don't want to wire new switches or anything, just throw in some new fog lamps with maybe a new brace.... any ideas?
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
dianebrat

Re: LOUDER Horn! (Vibr8tr)

Post by dianebrat »

Quote, originally posted by Vibr8tr »I am curious, I don't like to change things much. I want it so when I sell the car, I just take off my things and put the OEM back on. So is there a louder horn out there that I can just "plug in" and go. I have been asking the same with the fog lamps. I don't want to wire new switches or anything, just throw in some new fog lamps with maybe a new brace.... any ideas?+1I have the same desire for a more "effective" horn that's just bolt in, swap the connector.No "wake the dead" needed.Every time I hit the horn I think "who has the cheap import car?"Diane
last of the '06 AWDslava red monotone, preferred, sport, and side airbags
Mase

Re: LOUDER Horn! (dianebrat)

Post by Mase »

Nice choice with the stebel airhorn. I've had 2 of them, yes two, installed in my Matrix for almost 3 years. I've only had to use it legitimately 3-4 times. One time a truck started to change lanes on top of me. One lay on the horn almost sent him swerving into the guardrail. All the other times have been used to scare friends.
Vibetastic

Re: LOUDER Horn! (Mase)

Post by Vibetastic »

Excellent.So...where are you installing the relay.I would like to do this installation without drilling any new holes or hacking up the stock wiring.
Vibetastic

Post by Vibetastic »

Am I going to have any problems when I disconnect the battery? I know I will have to reprogram all of my favorite stations back on the radio, but will my Onstar be messed up of anything else?
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

yea..that site, http://www.hornblasters.com , is such a funny site..i remember watching the videos on it
Vibetastic

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by Vibetastic »

I'm ready to install my new Stebel hornI'm confused about the relay wiring. Does the power to the stock horn come from the horn button on the steering wheel or does that provide the gound?I only see one wire going to the stock horn. The diagram for the new horn wring shows the horn button providing the ground.
Vibetastic

Re: (Vibetastic)

Post by Vibetastic »

BTW. Here's the wiring diagram that came with the horn.http://www.bikerhiway.com/inst...n.pdf
Vibetastic

Re: (Vibetastic)

Post by Vibetastic »

Success!I installed the new horn yesterday. Nice and LOUD! I can't wait for the next person to cut me off in traffic while talking on their cell phone.
sagekai

Post by sagekai »

did you need to order a mounting bracket or a wiring kit to install it?
2003 Vibe Base- Silver Two-Tone, Injen CAI, Sony X-Plod Head Unit, 16" Voxx MG Rims, Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs, Painted Rear Brakes, OEM Exhaust Tip, Custom Rear Seat Back Covers MiVibe-ToolGuy's Fog Lamp Protectors, 111K Miles!
Vibetastic

Re: (sagekai)

Post by Vibetastic »

The horn came with a wiring kit, but I had to buy some extra wiring.I made a mounting bracket. It's just a piece of flat bar stock witha 90 degree bend and some holes drilled in it. I bolted it to an existing hole in a metal support behind the grill.
nygiantzz1

Re: LOUDER Horn! (dianebrat)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I just installed a new horn. Nothing fancy, got it at Advance Auto for 15.99. it bolts right in, 1 wire hookup and no cutting. the factory connector slides right over the spade lug. It's a huge difference from our sad little factory horns. Output is 132dB. here are a couple pics:
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I have these made by FIAAM, 26$ shipped from Amazon.comThey make me horney...I'll be putting 2 sets in my Vibe...