New battery

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
binary

New battery

Post by binary »

This last cold snap my ACDelco whimpycell finally gave up. It was only -15F without the windchill... And it's only 1.5 years old with 40k miles.330cca... who even thought this was a good idea? Now I see why CA folks get a battery warmer.I replaced the unreliable box of lead with a farm&fleet platinum battery with 680 cca (if I remember correctly) rating. Nothing fancy, but I wanted something with more amperage to get the job done.I noticed it seems like the engine idles smoother, but this could be caused by the CPU losing its curves and running a generic program until I get out and drive it a bit more. Oh, and (duh) it sure as heck starts faster. I'll be interested to see if this cures my hot-start issues.Set me back about 1/2 of what the ultima cells were going for - but I couldn't convince the wife it was worth the extra. That's okay - I'm in the market for a new set of tires anyway... I'll spend the extra on them.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Nice!My next purchase will be tires! unfortunetly it will be for the wife's Cavailer than my vibe
fitness freak

Re: New battery (binary)

Post by fitness freak »

On Saturday, 2/3/2007, it was -11 F. when I went outside to start my Vibe. My 2003, with 65,000 miles, had been outside all night. It made a groan-like sound when I turned it over, before starting and running smoothly. It has the original factory battery and I was pleasantly surprised the battery was still up to the task.
binary

Post by binary »

The new battery is already earning its keep... fired right up this morning, no complaining.I've never had a battery die so early... I hope it's not an indication of something worse.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

My stock made it through the mild winter, but my dad got my vibe a new battery and wow it make a difference! in those -30 it started ahhaha oh man i know that stock one would not of started then. Binary - thankfully we both got new batteries this winter
JesseWHHS

Post by JesseWHHS »

I got a Optima Yellow top for $20. hehe. Someone returned it to my dads work and he bought it home for me. $180 battery for $20. what a deal!!!I live in FL and starting in cold weather is NEVER an issue for me. lol.
2003 Vibe with a 2006 Corolla Engine 16" alloys with Fuzion HR-i's on emred neon underglowtinted; 35 on 4 doors, and 15 on back 3 windowsBosch Platinum Fusion +4 spark plugsmoon and tunes package15" Kicker CVR in kicker ported box with Rockford Fosgate P5002 amp
melders

Post by melders »

what does everyone reccommend for a battery? i know mine is on its way out, it doesnt hold a charge ( at least thats what autozone said ). i was looking at autozone, and probably going to get their brand of battery. is that one ok? with this cold weather lately, its been starting hard...any advice would be cool.
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Jet Black Metallic
jake75

Re: (melders)

Post by jake75 »

My 4 yr 4 mo old 310 CCA battery is still working - a little sluggish on these 0 degree mornings but I do have it inside the garage.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."