reverse wire for nav unit

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
dakranii

reverse wire for nav unit

Post by dakranii »

I'm installing a nav unit in my vibe and I need to locate the reverse wire. I see that it's a red/black wire in a 10 pin connector "front of the fuse box", but there is a lot going on there. I took a few pictures of what I think it might be.
dakranii

Re: reverse wire for nav unit (dakranii)

Post by dakranii »

This is from above the fuse box. I removed the little pull out tray to the bottom left of the steering wheel and took this picture through that hole. The fuse box is on the bottom of the picture and there is a white connector on the right with a red/black wire in it.

Attached files
dakranii

Post by dakranii »

This is taken from below, with the fuse box being the part with all the writing on it. There is a connector in the bottom left of this picture that has two red/black wires coming from it.

Attached files
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Hre is what I have, this PDF shows the reverse wire available in several places.The gray junction with three wires marked 3A is above the glove compartment, I have pulled that down to rewire a thing or two, might be easier to get to one of those wires there.The gray block with two wires, labelled 1k and 1D is over at the fuse block your pictures show, although I can't really say which is from the pics.1K is on the top of the fuse block, 1D is on the bottom
Attachments
relayloc.pdf
(206.55 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by joatmon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
joatmon

Re: reverse wire for nav unit (joatmon)

Post by joatmon »

This pdf has the location/pinout of the wires, coded referenced to the reverse light pdf.The wires marked 3A (pins 1, 2 and 3) in the junction box above the glove compartment are shown n page 10 of 14. The wire on top of the fuse block labelled 1D (pin 6) is on page 6 of 14, and 1K (pin 9) on the bottom of the fuse block is on page 5 of 14

Attached files relayloc.pdf (206.5 KB) 
dakranii

Re: reverse wire for nav unit (joatmon)

Post by dakranii »

Thanks so much for those pdfs. They really helped, I was able to locate it above the glovebox. I already had the glovebox removed to get the VSS wire, so it was relatively easy to locate there.
bitmap

Re: reverse wire for nav unit

Post by bitmap »

dakranii wrote:I was able to locate it above the glovebox. I already had the glovebox removed to get the VSS wire, so it was relatively easy to locate there.
First, I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT w/ Manual Transmission. I'm in the process of trying to figure out where the reverse light wire is and found a red-black colored wire above the glove box and connected a t-tap and whether the the vehicle is in reverse or not their is about 12 VDC. See image below.
wires.jpg
wires.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Any insight into where I went wrong? Also, are there multiple wires with red-black insulation? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

bitmap wrote:
dakranii wrote:I was able to locate it above the glovebox. I already had the glovebox removed to get the VSS wire, so it was relatively easy to locate there.
First, I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT w/ Manual Transmission. I'm in the process of trying to figure out where the reverse light wire is and found a red-black colored wire above the glove box and connected a t-tap and whether the the vehicle is in reverse or not their is about 12 VDC. See image below.

wires.jpg

Any insight into where I went wrong? Also, are there multiple wires with red-black insulation? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Did u need to locate this cable in order to use a rear-view camera? Just asking cuz i'm about to install a dvd player with back-up camera in mine and i would like to know which wire i'll need to tap in the future in case i end up installing the rear camera since it's pretty neat to have. Thanks ahead of time.
bitmap

Post by bitmap »

302LVR wrote:Did u need to locate this cable in order to use a rear-view camera? Just asking cuz i'm about to install a dvd player with back-up camera in mine and i would like to know which wire i'll need to tap in the future in case i end up installing the rear camera since it's pretty neat to have. Thanks ahead of time.
The camera is easier to find the correct wire because you can physically connect it very near the reverse light and then run the necessary connections to your head unit or whatever you're viewing from. I'm trying to get the cable in the front, where there are many other wires, because I was not planning to use a camera*. My use is for dead reckoning of navigation system -- I have the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) hooked up so it works well under bridge, in tunnels, underground parking, et al going in a forward direction where satellite connections are poor or nonexistent, but the problem is when the reverse wire is not hooked up and you're driving in reverse, the unit thinks it is going forward and messes up a little -- not a big deal but I'd like it to be as good as possible.

* I now think it may be easier to connect a reverse camera based on the fact that there hasn't been a response specifically to which wire I should be tapping yet.
Last edited by bitmap on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
302LVR

Post by 302LVR »

Good thinking, hadn't thought about that. Indeed if u just splice into the reverse light i'm pretty sure you'll get the signal as soon as the reverse lights come on. Besides that, hope you can figure out your issue very soon.