Garmin GPS?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
msmyer

Garmin GPS?

Post by msmyer »

I'm looking to get aftermarket GPS. Currently looking at the GARMIN NUVI 350. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer
tnpartsguy

Re: Garmin GPS? (msmyer)

Post by tnpartsguy »

I have a Garmin GPS that hooks into my laptop, I love it
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
RIT

Post by RIT »

MIO C310x - got it for $150 on Black Friday. Very, very nice - works terrific.
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

i just got the nuvi 660 for xmas and love it. i went for the 660 for the larger screen. i only have a minor complaint..kinda, i dont like the suction cup mount to the windshield, i had it loose suction and fall off onto the dash but they do include a dash mount using tape on a lil disk which is what i'm using now and i dont see that being a problem.the satillite reception is amazing compared to another garmin that my familly has (other unit is like 4-5 yrs old). satillite accuracy is great, here in PA i can get it accuratte to about 13ft which is basically a car length. also recalculating routes is pretty fast, like if i take the ramp for a rest stop it will be recalculated by the time i park. if you have not done so yet i recommend goin to like best buy or circuit city and checking out what they have so you can actually see the unit and play with it in the store
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

The NUVI should do you fine. I currently have a Streetpilot 2720 (before that, a 2610, and before that, a Garmin GPS V). All the actual GPS software on the garmin units is the same, so no matter which one you go with it'll be a good unit.All of them should have 12 channel receivers, so they should be quite accurate. And in my opinion, Garmin units are some of the fastest out there (as far as the interface goes)
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

I'v been using the Alpine Blackbird, Wich is an awesome unit I would reccomend that you check it out before you make a final decision.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
WD0AFQ

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by WD0AFQ »

I have the Lowrance I-350. I like it. Also have streets and trips on the laptop. I think I have 61 bux in it and the GPS. I use it more in the motor home, too big for the Vibe.
Dan GreggDexter, Mo.03 GThttp://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
tribalman

Re: (WD0AFQ)

Post by tribalman »

i just got a nuvi 200 and it's a lot of fun to play with. i've read thru the manual but it doesn't mention the difference between "automotive", "bicycle", and "walking" modes. any idea?
None. Vibe is gone.
joatmon

Re: (tribalman)

Post by joatmon »

I have a nuvi 750. All the manual for it says is "Usage Mode - specify how you will be navigating to optimize routes: Automotive, Bicycle, or Pedestrian"so I guess if you are not in a car, it probably doesn't tell you to get on the interstate. Probably also uses the setting to calculate estimated arrival time. Maybe if you are walking it will calculate a route that can't follow in a car.
prathman

Re: (tribalman)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by tribalman »i've read thru the manual but it doesn't mention the difference between "automotive", "bicycle", and "walking" modes. any idea?The 'bicycle' mode avoids routing you on freeways and over some bridges where bikes aren't allowed. Unfortunately the map database doesn't seem to be aware of which freeway sections are legal for cyclists to use since it appears to avoid them all. 'Walking' mode is similar to 'bicycle' but lets you go in either direction on one-way streets. There may also be some walkable paths in some map areas that aren't available to either bikes or cars.
Burns1210

Post by Burns1210 »

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 200, the cheapest one out there basically. Paid like $165 at Walmart, something like that. Works fine for me, it even links up with geocachers online. You can also do a free '09 street update online. A full charge lasts plenty long...not sure how long though, it's never gone dead on me on a single trip. I like the small screen, not sure why anyone would want the big screen especially when it's up on your windshield.
2008~Auto~Platinum~Monsoon~Sport Package