speaker upgrade

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
natedog77

speaker upgrade

Post by natedog77 »

I have a 03 GT, with 6speaker nav system, and the sound sucks, I have to keep the bass turned practically off and still if you turn it up to much with no bass the whole system crackles. I want to do a simple speaker change, just wondering if its simply popping the door panels and swapping the speakers out or if a lot more work than I thought.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

im not entirly sure about this..but after u pop the door panels off..the wires are probably connected together with a lil clip like thing..usually they aint just a straight wire....in my sunfire atleast thats what this had..and i just cut the clip off..and attached new wire to both the speaker and the existing wire..and thats pretty much it
DopeVibeGT

Re: speaker upgrade (natedog77)

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Nice article right here. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=785&page=1If you dont want to cut the wires, circuit city has the Toyota plugs for like $10.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
vibe-04

Re: speaker upgrade (DopeVibeGT)

Post by vibe-04 »

Here is my take at the end of page three of the same thread (always read the entire thread before doing any mod). I ordered MB Quarts over eBay and saved 58 percent compared to Future Shop here in Canada. This way I could hear them at FS and then buy online.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=785&page=3 Swapping out door speakers is easy. If you are on a budget, I suggest doing the front doors first since they will give you the biggest bang for the buck.Basically, pop door skins, gut old crap speaker, pull existing wire and connect to new speaker, mount new speaker, cut door skin plastic away from new speaker and install grill (optional but a must in my view for optimal sound) Any new speaker must be less than 2.4" deep from the mounting face or it will hit the window.I wished I changed the speakers the first day I got the Vibe. Best mod to do.Andrew
watcher7479

Re: speaker upgrade (vibe-04)

Post by watcher7479 »

Is 2.4 the max?, I'm asking because i just purchased 2 pair of fosgate power 6.5" and the depth on them is 2.5"
vibe-04

Re: speaker upgrade (watcher7479)

Post by vibe-04 »

I "think" 2.5 will work but be very careful when testing the fit just in case you break the glass or scratch the tint, if you have it.The MB Quarts were 2.42" and others on the board have had trouble in the past and had to make their own enclosures. Good luck and post a note if the 2.5" fit.
tubesareking

Post by tubesareking »

What size - diameter - are the speakers? 4x6, 5.25, 6, 6.5? They sure wouldn't be 6x9s!!! Do the interior door panels have to come off, or can I just pop the grills and remove the speakers from behind the grills?
tubesareking

Post by tubesareking »

OK, a search has answered my questions, and now I know about those wacky spacers for the front speakers!I actually kind of like the factory sound - its not bad, except for the anemic treble. I keep the bass flat. and a bit of treble boost and it doesn't sound bad.If the speakers go bad off warranty, then I'll revamp. As factory cheap speakers go, they don't look bad.Although my wife thinks I crank the stereo loud, I don't. Thank God she has her own car - a 2002 Mazda Protege ES GT!
Vibr8tr

Re: speaker upgrade (tubesareking)

Post by Vibr8tr »

While we are on the topic, what is every ones opinion on putting in new speakers. Will it make that much of a difference in the "sun and sound" package to get some speakers (nothing fancy just some $50 best buy ones) and replace them?
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
Mase

Re: speaker upgrade (Vibr8tr)

Post by Mase »

I reused the front stock speaker spacers. I just had to gut the old speaker from it and line the rim and base of the spacer with weather stripping. I also used rigid aluminum duct tape to cover up all the access holes in the door. That created a better baffle and greatly improved the bass!One thing to remember though is you'll probably need an amp to drive your new speakers. The stock stereo is weak and will clip the signal long before the speakers bottom out and can lead to melting the voice coil.
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Quote, originally posted by Vibr8tr »While we are on the topic, what is every ones opinion on putting in new speakers. Will it make that much of a difference in the "sun and sound" package to get some speakers (nothing fancy just some $50 best buy ones) and replace them?Yes. If you have the amplified system, swapping out the stock speakers for aftermarket without changing everything else will result in 'cleaner' sound, but less volume. It may also cause the amplifier to overheat, because you're going from a low impedance to a higher impedance speaker.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
meistees

Post by meistees »

at first I kept the stock amp and replaced the speakers but the volume is considerably less.. the diference with an aftermarket amp and speakers is amazing though
Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
mathteacher'04vibe

Post by mathteacher'04vibe »

Vibr8tr wrote "While we are on the topic, what is every ones opinion on putting in new speakers. Will it make that much of a difference in the "sun and sound" package to get some speakers (nothing fancy just some $50 best buy ones) and replace them?"I replaced my hu before changing the speakers and still use the M&T amp. The Sony deck I used greatly improved the sound quality over stock. Next up were the rear speakers--easy to change as long as you have a drill to remove the oem speaker baskets. Then I added subs. I have still yet to replace the front door speakers, but I have the volume cranked and have had no problems yet-still using the m&t amp.
'04 Vibe 1.8VVT-i, K&N Typhoon S/R, Fullboar muffler w/3.5" resonator tip. Sony CDX-GT500 h/u + Fosgate mono amp w/2 10" woofers & cap. Tinted side rear windows, SilverStar headlights and Cool Blue fogs. DC Sports Headers. 2.5" stainless pipe from stock resonator to muffler. Limited 903's (17x7.5) Gunmetal Gray with 225/45/R17 Strata tires. Link to my photobucket videos: http://s100.photobucket.com/al...ideos/
Vibr8tr

Re: speaker upgrade (mathteacher'04vibe)

Post by Vibr8tr »

Ok, I thought so.... what Impedance are our Speakers? I would assume 4, but I have no clue. Wouldn't it be possible to match the Imp. with new speakers? Or would they just sound as bad then?I am new to the Stereo topics, and I am not looking to "Wake the Nieghbors" kind of sound (I can do that with my home stereo). I am just looking for loud enough to tune out the road noise and the nagging wife... I mean.... love of my life.... (is she still listening?)
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Quote, originally posted by Vibr8tr »Ok, I thought so.... what Impedance are our Speakers? I would assume 4, but I have no clue. Wouldn't it be possible to match the Imp. with new speakers? Or would they just sound as bad then?Impedance of speakers:With Moon&Tunes: 2 OhmWith Stock sound: 4 OhmWith NAV system: 4 OhmIf you have the stock radio, the 6disc, or the NAV system, the speakers are 4 Ohm and readily available anywhere. If you have M&T, then the speakers are 2 Ohm and those are much harder, if not impossible to find. If you do find them, they'll be quite expensive, and really only for use in competition (meaning, need more power than the stock amp can put out)
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
Vibr8tr

Re: speaker upgrade (Jahntassa)

Post by Vibr8tr »

Well, that sucks.... well, I will just have to figure something out. In all reality, I can live with the ones in there, I would just like some new ones. Maybe I will risk getting some new ones.... we will see. Thanks for the info.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

i was never a HUGE audiophile, but when i eventually succumbed to the pressure and swapped out my moon & tunes amp and speakers for a brand new amp and speaker system, i can say without hesitation that the difference was night and day. if you have the money, and you value quality sound, it is by far worth the investment!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
smoozdog

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by smoozdog »

Disreguard this
watcher7479

Re: speaker upgrade (vibe-04)

Post by watcher7479 »

Finally installed the speakers, was going to do it myself but got a deal from a buudy with a shop, and had no problem they just did the install like everyone else on the board (cutting the factory front speaker out of the mounting harness), nothing unexpected also got my indash installed.Until I get pictures up i'll post model numbers for anyone wondering or looking to do some upgrades:In Dash - Clarion Max675vdSpeakers - Rockford Fosgate Power T162cFuture (within weeks):Rockford Fosgate P450.4Rockford Fosgate P2002Rockford Fosagate P28S4 (In a custom box)