need advice on sub/amp working poorly

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
meathead333

need advice on sub/amp working poorly

Post by meathead333 »

paid good money about 3 years ago for my current stereo setup. worked and sounded great. my wifes been driving the vibe for the last 2 1/2 years. she gets a new car and now im driving thge vibe. for some reason, the bass sucks now. i tried adjusting the setting, but no luck. the amp seems to be working and on...the subs work, can see them bump, but they do put out hardly any bass.what could the problem be? could the amp be bad? or is it the subs?a year or so ago, i did swap the subs into a different box, and then back into the original box. could that have hurt it?
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

oh. gonna have to have jahntassa or one of those guys better answer that. i'd check all your cables, make sure the power and ground is good... other than that, don't have a clue. sorry.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
RePo

Re: need advice on sub/amp working poorly (meathead333)

Post by RePo »

I had something similar to this in my Monte Carlo install: I see you typed subs as plural, I take it you have two subwoofers in a box. Check this: see if one is polarity backwards. If so that would cause this, they cancel each other out. One kicks out, and the other pull back and you end up with a net volume change of nothing. They should both kick outward in unison, giving a nice punch.
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

I'd go with RePo's suggestion first. Make sure the polarity is right. Also, could possibly be that the cabling came loose behind the radio or at the amp, so something isn't connected correctly anymore.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

thanks, ill try that later today!
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

that was the problem...i unpluged one of the subs and BOOM, it started kicking again. so i just plugged in the cables to the opposite terminals and now all is fixed. thanks, you guys are great!
binary

Post by binary »

It's amazing what a difference that makes - it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. But I've also ran in to that too... going from a muffled woomf to a thunder boom just by flipping a pair of wires.(post 999... tee hee hee... I'm saving the big 1k for something good. )
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

It's a pretty interesting effect, usually called 'Phase' in the audio industry. You can do it with your cabin speakers too. It makes stereo sound really wonky. If you have something (in stereo) that's mixed to sound like its dead center, and your cabin speakers are out of phase, you'll hear it like it's definitely coming from the two speakers, not right between your ears. It also cuts out nearly all bass, as you can see from your subs.It has a lot to do with the way waveforms interact. Pretty cool stuff.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you