Want to hard wire an AUX device?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Atomb

Want to hard wire an AUX device?

Post by Atomb »

See the correct list 3 posts below!(Thanks to GMJAP!)
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

So I wanted to finally hack my HU so I can plug my ipod or pc into it. Wasnt there a DIY install where you solder something on the HU and have the ports or would I have to buy one of these products.edit: oh i have 2004 single cd w/o nav sooo option D up top.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

bump
GMJAP

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (Atomb)

Post by GMJAP »

Great post, Atomb. Missed this when you first posted it.Corrections:Factory Radio Types:(A1) 2003 single CD (w/ AM/FM button and CD/AUX button) base system or upgraded audio(A2) 2003 single CD (w/ AM/FM button and CD/AUX button) and Moon & Tunes(A3) 2003 6 DISC Changer with/without Moon & Tunes(A4) 2003 DVD Navigation with CD Changer.(B1) 2004 single CD (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) base system or upgraded audio(B2) 2004 single CD (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) and Moon & Tunes(B3) 2004 6 DISC Changer with/without Moon & Tunes(B4) 2004 DVD Navigation with CD Changer.(C1) 2005 single CD (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) base system or upgraded audio(C2) 2005 single CD (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) and Moon & Tunes(C3) 2005 6 DISC Changer with/without Moon & Tunes(C4) 2005 DVD Navigation with CD Changer.(D1) 2006 single CD (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) base system(D2) 2006 single CD & MP3 (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) base system(D3) 2006 single CD MP3 (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) with Sun & Sound or Monsoon sound system.(D4) 2006 6 DISC Changer with/without any other audio options.For 2007/2008, refer to 2006 above.Generic AUX input:PAC AUX-BOX - A1/A2 (only in Class2 mode), B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3PAC AAI-GM12 - A4, B4, C4Peripheral AUX2CAR - A1/A2 (only in Class2 mode), B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3 Neo Auxin - A1/A2 (only in Class2 mode), B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3PIE GM12-AUX - B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3PIE X3 - A4, B4, C4iPODPAC iPAC-OEM - A1/A2 (only in Class2 mode), B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3Peripheral iPOD2CAR - A1/A2 (only in Class2 mode), B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3Neo iON - A1/A2 (only in Class2 mode), B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3Monster iCruize - B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, D3 EDIT Clarification - for all the 6-disc changer units (A3, B3, C3, D4), there is no adapter that will work with them. The AUX adapters work by emulating a CD-changer to the head unit, or sitting between the head unit and an external changer (for NAV units) and just switching the audio. In the 6-disc head units, the 6-disc changer is connected internally to the head unit CD changer port. Thus, no such port is available for AUX emulators, and since the connection is internal the AUX audio switches don't work either because they can't be connected inbetween the changer and head unit.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
meall

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (GMJAP)

Post by meall »

Great post, it helps makes sence of all that is said here about the subject! It should be sticked at the top of the forum.That said, I'm looking for a solution for my iPod, and from your post, the most interesting looks like the iCruze option. I like the idea of having 6 CD (6 playlists) that I can change from the HU.Some questions I have:- does the iCruze could fit on top of the HU space behind the 2 buttons?- if I want to put the iPod in the space between the 2 seats (in the place where the second lighter plug is) does the cable could be run over there? Will the cable be long enought (it is a 6' cable if I remember)?- Does the playlist for the iCruze could be Smart playlist?Thanks for any help.
Vibe 2008Dark GrayManualElectric group (doors, windows, etc)
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

thanks for the corrections GMJAP (i knew i didn't get it all right the first time )i didn't see anybody posting to the thread right off the bat so assumed everybody knew it all and i was a lost soul in the sea of auxillary input confusion!I'm still trying to figure out which unit to go with so, again, thanks for cleaning up my original list!
GMJAP

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (meall)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by meall »Great post, it helps makes sence of all that is said here about the subject! It should be sticked at the top of the forum.That said, I'm looking for a solution for my iPod, and from your post, the most interesting looks like the iCruze option. I like the idea of having 6 CD (6 playlists) that I can change from the HU.Some questions I have:- does the iCruze could fit on top of the HU space behind the 2 buttons?- if I want to put the iPod in the space between the 2 seats (in the place where the second lighter plug is) does the cable could be run over there? Will the cable be long enought (it is a 6' cable if I remember)?- Does the playlist for the iCruze could be Smart playlist?Thanks for any help.meall - sorry, I don't know enough specifics about the iCruze to answer your questions, as I haven't used one myself. There is a fair amount of room above the HU in the dash, so it's likely you could fit it up there, though. Try talking to Crutchfield - they can be very helpful with this kind of info. (www.crutchfield.com)Quote, originally posted by Atomb »thanks for the corrections GMJAP (i knew i didn't get it all right the first time )i didn't see anybody posting to the thread right off the bat so assumed everybody knew it all and i was a lost soul in the sea of auxillary input confusion!I'm still trying to figure out which unit to go with so, again, thanks for cleaning up my original list!No problem, I think your summary post is a fanstastic idea. I doubt that you are the lone lost soul - it's precisely because there are so many posts asking about AUX stuff that I think this is needed. Likely nobody really responded as your info looked pretty good!Moderators - How about making Atomb's thread a sticky? This is a quite a common post topic, and I think it would be a great resource. I would suggest changing the title to "Adding an AUX input to the stock radio", though.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
meall

Post by meall »

Hi GMJAP,In the mean time I've ask a few questions to Monster themselves, and they reply some of the questions:- for the cable lenght, they offer only 6', so we have to do with it. Maybe that's enought to put the iPod in one of the cafe hole, but not in the center compartement in between the 2 seats. I'll try to do some measurement on this.- The playlost could be smart playlist or regular. The only factor is that the iCruze uses the first 6 ones, so they have to be numbered from 1 to 6 as first letter.For the space over the HU, thanks for your input. I,ll try to dismantle the cover and make some measure as well.Monster just can't confirm that my 06 Vive is compatible, because they have not tested it. But it MAY work as teh 05 and 06 HU looks very similar, they said. Its a guess I have to take I suppose!Thanks again.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by meall »Hi GMJAP,In the mean time I've ask a few questions to Monster themselves, and they reply some of the questions:- for the cable lenght, they offer only 6', so we have to do with it. Maybe that's enought to put the iPod in one of the cafe hole, but not in the center compartement in between the 2 seats. I'll try to do some measurement on this.- The playlost could be smart playlist or regular. The only factor is that the iCruze uses the first 6 ones, so they have to be numbered from 1 to 6 as first letter.For the space over the HU, thanks for your input. I,ll try to dismantle the cover and make some measure as well.Monster just can't confirm that my 06 Vive is compatible, because they have not tested it. But it MAY work as teh 05 and 06 HU looks very similar, they said. Its a guess I have to take I suppose!Thanks again.6' should be plenty to run from the back of the HU to the console between the seats, if you want to do that.I'd recommend putting the iPod in the compartment below the shifter, but put it wherever you're happy.
meall

Post by meall »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »6' should be plenty to run from the back of the HU to the console between the seats, if you want to do that.I'd recommend putting the iPod in the compartment below the shifter, but put it wherever you're happy.You mean that little compartment that open vertically? humm, haven't think of it, because that is where I put my sunglasses by default. But I can put them in the central console compartment and this would be a great place for the iPod, protecting it away from view, as I wanted, no cables on the floor, and, the best, easy access and install...Thanks for the idea.
jeybone

Post by jeybone »

I wan't to sound silly, but what is "Class2 mode"?And when I ty to buy one of these things online, they never list a 2003 Vibe as an option. I have a 2003 base Vibe with Moon & Tunes. Does anyone know what adapter I should get, or maybe I should just buy a new head unit with a AUX-IN?
-JEYBONE-auto-moon and tunes-18" primax wheels-toyo proxes tires
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

I'd like people who have one of these units to post a quick review of sound quality and ease of installation...I would choose between the:PAC AUX-BOXPeripheral AUX2CARPIE GM12-AUXwhich is best and why?
GMJAP

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (jeybone)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by jeybone »I wan't to sound silly, but what is "Class2 mode"?And when I ty to buy one of these things online, they never list a 2003 Vibe as an option. I have a 2003 base Vibe with Moon & Tunes. Does anyone know what adapter I should get, or maybe I should just buy a new head unit with a AUX-IN?The "modes" are DIP Switch setting options of the manufacturers of the AUX products. They determine whether the AUX input is accessed with the BAND button (XM) or CD/AUX button (Class 2). "Class II" refers to a communication bus used in GM vehicles. In our case that the stock head unit uses to connect to external devices. The only things I'm aware that the units are ready to connect to is an XM receiver and a CD Changer. I don't know why they call them "XM" and "Class II" instead of "XM" and "Changer" but anyhoo...The AUX2CAR and AUX-BOX will work with the 2003 stock 1CD with the DIP switches set to "Class II" mode - allowing you to toggle between the internal CD and the AUX with the "CD/AUX button"They won't work in XM mode.
GMJAP

Re: (Atomb)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by Atomb »I'd like people who have one of these units to post a quick review of sound quality and ease of installation...I would choose between the:PAC AUX-BOXPeripheral AUX2CARPIE GM12-AUXwhich is best and why?I previously owned & used an AUX2CAR before I installed my PCD10Sound Quality:I though the sound quality was quite good. I have the basic audio system, and most things sounded as good as the internal CD.One issue with this adapter (and probably most others) is that it's designed to accept Line-Level inputs. When it's plugged into the headphone jack of an audio device, the amplitude of the headphone signal is much lower, so the radio volume has to be cranked pretty high to get decent volume.However, even with the radio volume cranked very high, it was always very quiet. Never really noticed any noise or hissing.Also, if you plan to use it mostly with a headphone jack, the volume through the unit can be increased by setting DIP switch #6 to "ON". This isn't documented, and I found out about it after removing mine, so I couldn't tell you "how much" it increases the volume. The guy I sold it to tried it and told me it did increase the volume.InstallationThe biggest difficulty is just getting the radio out to get to the back of it. Installing it is relatively simple - it just plugs into the 12-pin connector at the back of the radio. There is 1 wire, power, which has to be spliced into a wire on the larger 24-pin connector at the back of the radio. If you can find a T-Tap splice, this is really easy. In fact, I have some left over from my last mod project, so I'll send you one if you need it.I think some of the other units require both power and ground to be spliced.
Atomb

Re: (GMJAP)

Post by Atomb »

thanks SO much GMJAP. your post was perfect...and clear! i really do appreciate all the help. Boxgrover and I are thinking of ordering a couple and helping each other install...but we'll make sure to IM you if anything boggles us.thanks again...
jeybone

Post by jeybone »

Thanks a lot! It good to know that it will work. Thanks for all the good info. I thinK I am going to take on that project next week. Kansas City radio sucks. I have been wanting to get my Gigabeat hooked up for quite sometime now.
azsapphire87

Post by azsapphire87 »

Hey everybody. I've finally mustered up the money for the AUX2CAR. Usually, every last dollar I earn goes to my flight lessons, but I'm really tired of my Belkin Tunecast FM TPDR. I will let everyone know how it goes, maybe even with some pictures of the install.
binary

Re: (azsapphire87)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by azsapphire87 »Hey everybody. I've finally mustered up the money for the AUX2CAR. Usually, every last dollar I earn goes to my flight lessons, but I'm really tired of my Belkin Tunecast FM TPDR. I will let everyone know how it goes, maybe even with some pictures of the install.Good luck man, I got the same box behind my stock head unit... my iPod was very happy with it. Until my dog chewed my shuffle to bits.
azsapphire87

Post by azsapphire87 »

I just returned home from vacation this Saturday afternoon to find my AUX2CAR sitting on my doorstep. Got so excited, I had to try to install it.DONT WORRY, NOTHING'S MESSED UP Saw that my vibe (04 base, no premiums) was compatible in XM or Class II mode. Tried both DIP switch settings, along with the E&C setting, and also, for luck, tried the TOY setting. Couldn't get the radio to recognize the adapter on either the cd/aux or the band button. All the plugs were firmly connected, the 3.5mm jack, the 8-pin DIN, the 22-pin AUX/PXHGM3, and the 12-pin harness to the HU. There was one connector spliced in, looked to be about 12 pins (can't remember, I didn't look that hard at it). No idea where that goes. Was wondering if I needed to splice the yellow constant 12V+ wire into the power, but the instructions stated I didn't need that unless I used the GM-C or GM-5 cable or something like that.I couldn't figure it out tonight, so I'm gonna head over to Fry's Electronics in the morning, see if they can get it installed and working. They guarantee their labor for life, and I had an estimate of about $40. Worth a try; if they can't get it, I don't pay.I'll have an update tomorrow
GMJAP

Re: (azsapphire87)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by azsapphire87 »I just returned home from vacation this Saturday afternoon to find my AUX2CAR sitting on my doorstep. Got so excited, I had to try to install it.DONT WORRY, NOTHING'S MESSED UP Saw that my vibe (04 base, no premiums) was compatible in XM or Class II mode. Tried both DIP switch settings, along with the E&C setting, and also, for luck, tried the TOY setting. Couldn't get the radio to recognize the adapter on either the cd/aux or the band button. All the plugs were firmly connected, the 3.5mm jack, the 8-pin DIN, the 22-pin AUX/PXHGM3, and the 12-pin harness to the HU. There was one connector spliced in, looked to be about 12 pins (can't remember, I didn't look that hard at it). No idea where that goes. Was wondering if I needed to splice the yellow constant 12V+ wire into the power, but the instructions stated I didn't need that unless I used the GM-C or GM-5 cable or something like that.I couldn't figure it out tonight, so I'm gonna head over to Fry's Electronics in the morning, see if they can get it installed and working. They guarantee their labor for life, and I had an estimate of about $40. Worth a try; if they can't get it, I don't pay.I'll have an update tomorrow You need to splice the yellow wire to battery power; this is why it isn't working. Battery power is the Blue/White (sometimes Blue/Yellow) wire on one corner of the larger 24-pin connector.
azsapphire87

Post by azsapphire87 »

Thanks GMJAPSpliced the Yellow into the Blue/White power wire on the HU, grounded the Black to the metal HU case, being held in by the 10mm mount screw.Set the DIP switches to Class II settings, flipped the 6th on and found a noticeable volume increase . (Very cool find guys, thanks!) I now control it with the CD/AUX button.All in all, easy install if you're comfortable clipping wires. I'm very happy with the product. Now I've got all my music with me, wherever I go! http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=749
daveforwards

GMJAP.....Are you sure you are correct?

Post by daveforwards »

I have what you would call an (A2) 2003 single CD (w/AM/FM button and CD/Aux button) and moon and tunes and I'm trying to figure out how to hardwire my satellite radio.I checked out the products that you recommended (PAC Aux-Box, Peripheral AUX2CAR, Neo Auxin, and GM12-AUX. They all say that my car in not compatable. Is this true, or is there some way around it?I'm pulling out my hair over here.Dave
daveforwards

Post by daveforwards »

also, since my car isn't compatable, what wiring harness do I buy?
GMJAP

Re: GMJAP.....Are you sure you are correct? (daveforwards)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by daveforwards »I have what you would call an (A2) 2003 single CD (w/AM/FM button and CD/Aux button) and moon and tunes and I'm trying to figure out how to hardwire my satellite radio.I checked out the products that you recommended (PAC Aux-Box, Peripheral AUX2CAR, Neo Auxin, and GM12-AUX. They all say that my car in not compatable. Is this true, or is there some way around it?I'm pulling out my hair over here.DaveYour vehicle is compatible with AUX2CAR, despite what the information says. However, you will have to be sure to set the DIP switches to the "Class II" setting. The "XM" setting will not work with your radio. A Genvibe member has verified this and is happily using an AUX2CAR with his 2003 stock unit with AM/FMhttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=22938
azsapphire87

Post by azsapphire87 »

After a couple of days driving around with the AUX2CAR installed, I noticed that the sound quality hasn't really been the best. Just as I suspected, flipping the DIP 6 switch to off (not quite as loud) fixed this problem. Now I just have to crank the radio a little bit more (about 3 notches) to get the same volume, but the sound is PERFECT.
Killer-Tomato

hrmm

Post by Killer-Tomato »

okay, sigh, 1st post. i don't want to hard wire anything, but i am getting a LG Chocolate phone and i can play my songs through my radio if it has a female aux plug. i see it's not in the front but is it in the back so i can plug this puppy in?C2) 2005 single CD (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) and Moon & Tunesthat's what i got. can some one answer me. and if its already been said here i'm sorry i missed it.
Azulita is a blue '05
GMJAP

Re: hrmm (Killer-Tomato)

Post by GMJAP »

You'll have to get one of the listed adapters to plug it in.The title "hard wire" means plugging it in directly, as opposed to using a wireless transmitter or modulator. (Not actually wiring into the radio itself).
Killer-Tomato

Re: hrmm (GMJAP)

Post by Killer-Tomato »

where do i find said adaptter? and it'll plug in to the radio in the back?i can change oil and replace brakes, but when it come to the radio stuff, i'm an idiot.
Azulita is a blue '05
azsapphire87

Re: hrmm (Killer-Tomato)

Post by azsapphire87 »

This is the one I got, The Peripheral AUX2CAR.http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=749Works with my B1 radio, will definitely work with your C2 radio. I'll get some pics of my installation later today so you can see what's going on. Just make sure to look at the back of your radio to confirm your 12-pin is open before you buy.Hooked up with Class II settings. Activated by the CD/AUX button.I had a weird problem with the cable... the 6' one they sent me with the 3.5mm mini-plug. I could attach the cable to my mp3 player and not hear any sound. I twisted the cable around in the jack until the cable bent back on itself and the sound finally came through. A quick email to Discount Car Stereo and they sent me a new cable, FREE OF CHARGE. They do want their customers to be happy... got here in 2 days.
GMJAP

Re: hrmm (azsapphire87)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by azsapphire87 »This is the one I got, The Peripheral AUX2CAR.http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=749Works with my B1 radio, will definitely work with your C2 radio. I'll get some pics of my installation later today so you can see what's going on. Just make sure to look at the back of your radio to confirm your 12-pin is open before you buy.Hooked up with Class II settings. Activated by the CD/AUX button. K-T,You will have a plug in the 12-pin since you have M&T; just get the AB-GM12 cable. It's 3-way cable that plugs the adapter, the radio, and the existing 12-pin connector all together.
azsapphire87

Post by azsapphire87 »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »just get the AB-GM12 cable. It's 3-way cable that plugs the adapter, the radio, and the existing 12-pin connector all together.I've been looking for a way to split the 12pin 2 ways.... I'm interested in getting a Motorola Bluetooth IHF1000 kit for my vibe but it only works through the speakers when plugged into the 12pin connector. I just haven't gotten it yet because I'm not willing to part with my music! Will this work for me?
GMJAP

Re: hrmm (azsapphire87)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by azsapphire87 »I've been looking for a way to split the 12pin 2 ways.... I'm interested in getting a Motorola Bluetooth IHF1000 kit for my vibe but it only works through the speakers when plugged into the 12pin connector. I just haven't gotten it yet because I'm not willing to part with my music! Will this work for me?That won't work in this case - it's specifically to connect up the PAC AUX-BOX or Peripherial AUX2CAR to the radio, so one connector is specific to those products. Also, the AUX2CAR's output is constantly driving into the radio so you need to something to either mix or switch the signals.I installed a 10-disc CD-MP3 changer to the factory unit, but still wanted an AUX input, so I got an AAI-GM12. It would allow you to switch between 3 inputs - 1 pass through (your AUX2CAR) and two stereo RCA inputs (one for your phone).FYI - Your AUX2CAR will function as the "factory slave unit"I got the AAI-GM12 for $36 from these guys:http://www.sonicelectronix.com...=5277PS - This isn't really ideal for the phone app, but it's an option. It has to be switched to the phone from the AUX2CAR and vice versa. They do include instructions on how to wire it to auto-switch, but the phone interface would have to have an appropriate output. (Of course, it wouldn't do you any good if you were listening to the radio or internal CD).The only install kit I saw on the site you linked to says it doesn't work on RDS radios, though.
azsapphire87

Post by azsapphire87 »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »This isn't really ideal for the phone app, but it's an option. It has to be switched to the phone from the AUX2CAR and vice versa. They do include instructions on how to wire it to auto-switch, but the phone interface would have to have an appropriate output. (Of course, it wouldn't do you any good if you were listening to the radio or internal CD).Thanks for the info. In theory, I would almost always be listening to my mp3. But if I wasn't and I heard it ringing, I could just switch to the AUX...Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »The only install kit I saw on the site you linked to says it doesn't work on RDS radios, though.I noticed that too... I went to http://motorola.car-kit.com/ and used their built-in configurator to customize the 04. The "Surround sound for GM cars without RDS radio" is $69.95, part MOT-PH2003 and says it will not work if "RDS" is marked on the front, but yet the vibe's radio does function with RDS. I did find however, the "Surround sound for GM cars with RDS radio" for $99.95, part MOT-PHPXGM. The last one says it will ONLY work if RDS is marked on the front of the radio.Too bad there's so much variety out there that it becomes tough to decide what will work. Good thing though as it keeps prices good for us, and it also makes sure that everybody can serve their individual needs.p.s. I've sent an email to Motorola. Maybe they'll be able to figure out what will work for me. The AAI-GM12 you just mentioned is still a possibility though. I wonder how hard the "auto-switch" wiring would be.
sunrunner_pei

Post by sunrunner_pei »

Thanks for the great info! I do have a couple questions though...I have a 2006 Vibe (Canadian version). It has the upgraded 7-speaker stereo with XM. Not sure if it's Monsoon or not, as it doesn't say 'Monsoon' anywhere on it. I want to add an Aux input for an MP3 player, laptop, etc.I ran into a piece of info on the AUX-BOX that mentioned I would have to disconnect the XM for it to work, since it couldn't daisy-chain. Is this true?The PAC website (http://www.pac-audio.com) doesn't list the 2006 Vibe as a supported platform. I'm pretty sire the unit will work, but I just need to confirm that the AB-GM12 is the correct cable to use.Finally, does anyone have a preference of one model over another? Say the AUX2CAR over the AUX-BOX?Thanks in advance!
GMJAP

Re: (sunrunner_pei)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by sunrunner_pei »Thanks for the great info! I do have a couple questions though...I have a 2006 Vibe (Canadian version). It has the upgraded 7-speaker stereo with XM. Not sure if it's Monsoon or not, as it doesn't say 'Monsoon' anywhere on it. I want to add an Aux input for an MP3 player, laptop, etc.I ran into a piece of info on the AUX-BOX that mentioned I would have to disconnect the XM for it to work, since it couldn't daisy-chain. Is this true?The PAC website (http://www.pac-audio.com) doesn't list the 2006 Vibe as a supported platform. I'm pretty sire the unit will work, but I just need to confirm that the AB-GM12 is the correct cable to use.Finally, does anyone have a preference of one model over another? Say the AUX2CAR over the AUX-BOX?Thanks in advance!Look for the factory amplifier under the passenger's seat to know if you have Moon & Tunes.The AUX-BOX and the AUX2CAR (and the NEO one) are the same as far as I know. However, it is true you will need to disconnect XM to use it. AB-GM12 is the correct cable.If you wish to keep XM, you can use the product mentioned above - the PAC AAI-GM12. This works with a factory slave device like XM, and allows you to switch the audio between XM and an AUX input. However, the switching is done with a toggle switch that comes with the unit (it can't be switched through the head unit.)
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

Oh well, I'm screwed...I have a D4....and i'm tired of losing the ability to use the XM, because once I get to Nashville, the internal FM Modulator is too weak to over power any radio station, same for the Belkin iTune II for the iPod....
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
sunrunner_pei

Post by sunrunner_pei »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »Look for the factory amplifier under the passenger's seat to know if you have Moon & Tunes.The AUX-BOX and the AUX2CAR (and the NEO one) are the same as far as I know. However, it is true you will need to disconnect XM to use it. AB-GM12 is the correct cable.If you wish to keep XM, you can use the product mentioned above - the PAC AAI-GM12. This works with a factory slave device like XM, and allows you to switch the audio between XM and an AUX input. However, the switching is done with a toggle switch that comes with the unit (it can't be switched through the head unit.)Thank you so much for the help!!! I can live w/o the XM, I wasn't all that impressed with it anyway. I just wanted to know for sure.Thanks again!-Shawn
NUBlackshirts

Re: (sunrunner_pei)

Post by NUBlackshirts »

So, per the chart, none of them work with B3?(B3) 2004 6 DISC Changer with/without Moon & Tunes
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
GMJAP

Re: (NUBlackshirts)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »So, per the chart, none of them work with B3?(B3) 2004 6 DISC Changer with/without Moon & TunesUnfortunately, this is correct. They don't work with any of the Vibe 6CDs.
gernader8

Post by gernader8 »

I'm new to this whole 'mod' scene so I'm confused right now.I have a 2005 single CD with Moon & Tunes, so I have 'type' C2. So I assume almost any of the listed iPod adapters are compatible. I have XM radio installed which I am currently using. I am trying to figure out which would be best to use. Any suggestions?
GMJAP

Re: (gernader8)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by gernader8 »I'm new to this whole 'mod' scene so I'm confused right now.I have a 2005 single CD with Moon & Tunes, so I have 'type' C2. So I assume almost any of the listed iPod adapters are compatible. I have XM radio installed which I am currently using. I am trying to figure out which would be best to use. Any suggestions?You are correct, any of the listed adapters will work with you head unit. However, since you have XM, using one of these adapters will mean you can't use XM anymore.To get an AUX input, you can use the PAC AAI-GM12 which is meant for use with factory slave devices like XM (or a remote CD player).The AAI-GM12 is available for a good price from these guys: http://www.sonicelectronix.com...=5277The way it works is: you plug it in behind the radio between the XM unit and the head unit. It has RCA inputs where you connect your AUX audio source. When you select XM1 (or XM2), you use the switch that comes with the AAI-GM12 to switch the audio between either XM or your AUX source.(I use it with a remote CD player so I can plug in an MP3 player. See my post here)
gernader8

Post by gernader8 »

Its simply would be XMunit -> AUX input(with toggle) -> Radio? If its just that, thats awesome and much simpler than I thought. And where did you get the nice switch? Does the item you posted come with that particular switch?Thanks for the help :D
GMJAP

Re: (gernader8)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by gernader8 »Its simply would be XMunit -> AUX input(with toggle) -> Radio? If its just that, thats awesome and much simpler than I thought. And where did you get the nice switch? Does the item you posted come with that particular switch?Thanks for the help :DIt's almost that simple. The AUX unit has two wires, one for power and one for ground, that must be spliced into the appropriate wires on the larger radio connector at the back. (If you decide to get it, post and I or someone else can help with that.)It comes with a basic toggle switch (see pic below, pulled off an audio website.) I got the one I used from an electronics place.Here's a link to installation instructions:http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/AAI-GM12.pdf

Attached files
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Newbie to the forum here.I have an '03 base model Vibe with stock 1cd radio (maybe an A1?). Sounds like I need 1 of these to plug my mp3 player into?http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=749
2003 base model
GMJAP

Re: (mntn-biker)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by mntn-biker »Newbie to the forum here.I have an '03 base model Vibe with stock 1cd radio (maybe an A1?). Sounds like I need 1 of these to plug my mp3 player into?http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=749Yep. When you get it, set the DIP switches to "Class II" to work with the 2003 stock HU.
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Does this installation require any special tools (or will a hammer and chisel work? JK)?Approximately how long does it take for this install (for someone that has never had the radio or dash panel apart) and is it pretty self explanatory with the use of the installation instructions?What does the term "HU" stand for?Thanks - Mike
2003 base model
GMJAP

Re: (mntn-biker)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by mntn-biker »Does this installation require any special tools (or will a hammer and chisel work? JK)?Approximately how long does it take for this install (for someone that has never had the radio or dash panel apart) and is it pretty self explanatory with the use of the installation instructions?What does the term "HU" stand for?Thanks - MikeSorry HU = Head Unit (radio)I'd put aside an hour for the install. The instructions are very generic since it's compatible with so many cars. The first part of this thread has info on removing the trim around the radio. The radio itself it held in by four hex screws, so you'll need some sort of socket to remove those. The two on the bottom corner are a ways back, so you'll need something fairly long (5 - 6 in) to reach back there.Depending on what cable you get with it, it will probably require you to connect a wire to battery power and possibly a ground point also. The radio has 2 connectors on back - a larger one and a smaller one. You'll plug the AUX adapter into the smaller one. Battery power can be gotten by splicing into the BL/WH (Blue with White Stripe) wire on the corner of the larger radio connector. Ground by splicing the Brown wire on the opposite corner.For splicing, I like to use T-Taps, but they are kind of hard to find. Radio Shack has some splices that have a round colored disc on them that might work. (usually in the parts drawers. See http://www.radioshack.com/prod...amily - get at least 20-gauge compatible)
galegovision

Re: (NUBlackshirts)

Post by galegovision »

Has anyone found a quick and dirty solution for a B3 6 CD. I know FM is easy but it really sucks.Thanks
Vibr8tr

Re: (galegovision)

Post by Vibr8tr »

I ordered this one today, I will let you all know when I get it, and how it is.... I am so excited.http://www.discountcarstereo.c...D=446
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
jeybone

Post by jeybone »

That is same one I bought, but i have not installed it yet. Let us know how it goes, and if there are any tricks or things I need to know about.