Want to hard wire an AUX device?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
DEtroitVIBEZ

Post by DEtroitVIBEZ »

Okay, so I think I'm probably officially the newest/dumbest guy to join this board. I recently bought a 2005 Vibe with the Moons and Tunes package (at least I think... there's a sub in the back and a moon roof).I desperately wanted this AUX plug for my car, so I purchased the Peripheral one that came recommended with the GM3 Wiring Harness. I was scared to take on this project, but so many people bragged how easy it was, I thought "what could possibly go wrong?"Needless to say, I spent the last 2 hours in my car cursing at this piece of equipment. I got everything installed the way so many people had said it should go-- the hardest part was cutting the blue/white wire (I wasn't sure this was exactly the right wire, but GMJap said the one on the 24 pronged clip, so that got the cut.Tested and tested--- grounded to the top-right corner bolt that mounted the head unit, and still nothing. I am so angry that it doesn't work... I was sweating like a stuck pig trying to get this piece of garbage to work.I am so frustrated by this-- I checked and re-checked my work. I can't figure out what's wrong. I think I'm going to take it in some place....any kind of light notification on the peripherals box that says it has power?Helpless/Lost/Confused.
LedFootin

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (GMJAP)

Post by LedFootin »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »The "modes" are DIP Switch setting options of the manufacturers of the AUX products. They determine whether the AUX input is accessed with the BAND button (XM) or CD/AUX button (Class 2). "Class II" refers to a communication bus used in GM vehicles. In our case that the stock head unit uses to connect to external devices. The only things I'm aware that the units are ready to connect to is an XM receiver and a CD Changer. I don't know why they call them "XM" and "Class II" instead of "XM" and "Changer" but anyhoo...The AUX2CAR and AUX-BOX will work with the 2003 stock 1CD with the DIP switches set to "Class II" mode - allowing you to toggle between the internal CD and the AUX with the "CD/AUX button"They won't work in XM mode.So, let me see if I understand this.The AUX2CAR will let you connect an auxiliary device using the CD/AUX side of the AM/FM-CD/AUX button with a 1 CD head but not the 6 CD head, right?I've been trying to set up something simple and professional looking with a 3.5 mm input jack utilizing what seems to me to be and open slot given that the head has an auxiliary option. Go figure, I have the 6 CD head. Any thoughts / ideas?
Platinum '06 GT: F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch w/10lb. Flywheel, Magnaflow Cat Back, Typhoon SRI, TRD Strut Bar, TRD Sway Bar Set, Eleminated Moon Roof Soft Stop, Horn Lock Conformation, Color Matched Key Hole Covers, Rear Bumper Protector, Debadged.
Vibr8tr

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (LedFootin')

Post by Vibr8tr »

That is 100% correct. I had one in mine. It was EASY to install (took me about a half an hour, I did it AT work in the parking lot at lunch). Sounded great, and worked great. You just hit the button for CD/AUX. It will act liek it's playing a CD (it shows a CD symble, and I believe it shows a random track number)..... but sounds fine and worked great.
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
LedFootin

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (Vibr8tr)

Post by LedFootin »

Quote, originally posted by Vibr8tr »That is 100% correct. I had one in mine. It was EASY to install (took me about a half an hour, I did it AT work in the parking lot at lunch). Sounded great, and worked great. You just hit the button for CD/AUX. It will act liek it's playing a CD (it shows a CD symble, and I believe it shows a random track number)..... but sounds fine and worked great. Okay, I have the 6 CD head. This thing will work for me?
Platinum '06 GT: F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch w/10lb. Flywheel, Magnaflow Cat Back, Typhoon SRI, TRD Strut Bar, TRD Sway Bar Set, Eleminated Moon Roof Soft Stop, Horn Lock Conformation, Color Matched Key Hole Covers, Rear Bumper Protector, Debadged.
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

It should.... The way it works is it isn't actually looking for the CD player any more, it is tricking the stereo into thinking there is an EXTERNAL disk tray, and playing from that.... that is why your display will show something like "Tr 03".....However, since I only had the 1CD changer, I can't promise you it will work. The way it is designed there is no reason it shouldn't. But I work with computers for a living and know very well that things don't always work as designed.
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
LedFootin

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device? (Vibr8tr)

Post by LedFootin »

Quote, originally posted by Vibr8tr »It should.... The way it works is it isn't actually looking for the CD player any more, it is tricking the stereo into thinking there is an EXTERNAL disk tray, and playing from that.... that is why your display will show something like "Tr 03".....However, since I only had the 1CD changer, I can't promise you it will work. The way it is designed there is no reason it shouldn't. But I work with computers for a living and know very well that things don't always work as designed.Okay thanks, I just spoke to a guy at Crutchfiled asking about the P.I.E. GM12-AUXv2. He was telling me that it may not work with my system, but, they don't get the chance to test their components with all the stereo options out there and that they have a "Very liberal return policy and if it doesn't work they'd be glad to take it back". Of course I'm out all the shipping charges to do their product testing for them.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by LedFootin’ »Okay, I have the 6 CD head. This thing will work for me?I don't think this will work for you. I did try an adapter on a 6CD unit and it didn't work - but did on my 1 CD. This is because the internal 6CD is connected electronically as if it were an external unit. Since the adapter fakes being an external unit, it doesn't work as that interface is already used up.There is post somewhere on hacking the 6 CD unit to put in a switch to select between the CD audio and an external source. I'll try to find it. EDIT That post is sticky in this forum! - http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=11735
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »There is post somewhere on hacking the 6 CD unit to put in a switch to select between the CD audio and an external source. I'll try to find it. EDIT That post is sticky in this forum! - http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=11735 Ahhhhh...... the ole search feature..... what a great tool. lol Sorry if I led you astray with my post. But it would make sense if it didn't work with the 6 disc player
craigm08

Re: hrmm (GMJAP)

Post by craigm08 »

I'm sorry. I've looked all over this very helpful thread, but couldn't find exactly what I need. I have a 2004 w/ single CD player, (B-1) or (B-2). I don't know if I have moon and tunes. There is a black box under my passenger seat, but I don't know what that means. I will probably not be able to install this myself, so i will be hiring someone to do it. I just need to know which thing to buy for my ipod, no xm. I'm looking for just a headphone jack so i can use it with other things. Do you have an idea how much installation will cost? can I get a link? Would this work, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...AX:IT ? Thanks soo much.
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

It will work, but it will be very noisy (alternator whine). I have one, but I don't recommend it to anyone else because of the noise factor. You have to play with the jumpers to get it to work at all. All in all, it's not really worth it.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
jd200sx

Post by jd200sx »

Please Help!I have a 2006 single cd base - D1. I purchased the AB-GM12 wiring harness and the PAC iPAC-OEM. I have power to my ipod however the HU is not playing the ipod. What have I missed or could have done wrong? It has power as it is charging the ipod and it is grounded but nothing reads on the HU?Thanks!
overdriven

Post by overdriven »

One update to an old thread - iPhone would suggest switching to "airplane mode" every time it was plugged into the iPod adaptor. Updating to iOS 4 fixed this.
maxingandrelaxing

Aux ipod adaptor

Post by maxingandrelaxing »

I have a 2005 Vibe (C1) 2005 single CD (w/ BAND button and CD/AUX button) base system or upgraded audioI took it to a car stereo shop to have a direct ipod line installed. I wish I knew the product name and number off hand (sorry). The first time it was installed I would choose the CD option and it would recognize my ipod, I could choose to use the ipod controls or the stereo control by hitting the 5 button on the stereo. When plugged into the line, my ipod would get charged.The problem with the system was that if parked for two days (ipod disconnected) the aux connection would cause a leak on my battery! I found that it killed my battery numerous times. When I jumped my car, the system would work sometimes, and other times, it wouldn't even recognize that the ipod jack was installed. As a result, I returned to the shop, they insisted that it wasn't the new connection causing the drain. They replaced the unit with a new one (sent the old one back, because they believed it had got fried with the booting of my car), that was recognized through my am/fm control this time.... same problem occurred and a few dead batteries and jumps later, the aux input isn't recognized and my battery hasn't died for over a month. I took my beloved vibe into my mechanic for a diagnostic and there currently isn't a battery drain. I also had a new battery installed. What the heck could be going on? The stereo shop insists that they have installed a hundred of these, but I doubt in Vibes.... I am now considering them take it out and replace with a after market stereo with a usb input and bluetooth. Thoughts?
06vibeCDN

Re: Aux ipod adaptor (maxingandrelaxing)

Post by 06vibeCDN »

Hi all,I just inherited a 2006 Vibe with single CD player (D1) (no moon & tunes package). The stereo has a "CD/AUX" button and an empty 12 pin port on the back so I tried the GM12-AUXV2 from Crutchfield, despite it looking like it is only confirmed to work with moon & tunes.It didn't work, so now I'm going to return the unit. Can anyone suggest anything that will work?Thanks a lot. This car is an "upgrade" for me, but I sorely miss using my iPhone for music and podcasts.Thanks a lot
donniej

Post by donniej »

In the past, I've used hard-wired FM modulators and they work great. The hard-wired ones plug into the antenna wire and I can't tell the difference between them and an aux-input. To use these on GM vehicles usually requires an additional adapter because GM tends to use a smaller antenna plug (no big deal).I just ordered a GM12-AUX from Crutchfield for my 2007 Base. It would be nice for it to work with the AUX/CD button. If this doesn't work then I'll use a fore-mentioned hard-wired FM modulator. After it's all setup I'll report back my findings.
donniej

Post by donniej »

I just hooked it up and it worked fine. The PIE box has 3 jumpers... Blank, CD & XM. CD worked witht he CD/AUX button and acted like it was playing a CD. Blank & XM worked with the BAND button and the display showed them as AUX. I used Blue/White for the 12+ and Brown as the 12-... Both off the radios larger connector. 2007 base model.
06vibeCDN

Re: (donniej)

Post by 06vibeCDN »

Hi donnie,I'm glad to hear of your success. Can you send me a link to the exact adapter you purchased?Thanks a lot
donniej

Post by donniej »

Gladly. Crutchfield Item #469GM12AX2... $60.http://www.crutchfield.com/S-R....html
Herb

Post by Herb »

I ended up going with a hardwired FM kit. I had to also get some antenna adapters.Overall it works good enough for me, I will say it's not the best sound quality, but it is one of the easier methods that doesn't require too much skill or take up that much space.

Attachments
iSimple.jpg
iSimple.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
Last edited by Herb on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

which one of these kits allow for full control of the ipod through the radio?i prefer to punch the buttons on the radio rather than mess around w the ipod. or am i sol?
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Honestly guys, I was going to do this to my factory radio but I ended up upgrading my factory radio to a new $80 Kenwood deck off Ebay that has an aux. input and a USB port for which I can plug in an Ipod or a jump drive. The deck, the dash kit, the wiring harness, and antenna adapter cost me $100 and was well worth the upgrade (1 of my day lamps in the radio display was also burned out so this justified the upgrade in my mind).
2003 base model
treesap32

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device?

Post by treesap32 »

I'm new to the forums and have been studying up on adding an AUX port to my 2006 Vibe for the past couple of weeks. It looks like I ordered the wrong adapter so I will be returning it and getting a new one.

I have the basic 1 CD Radio. What's the easiest way for me to leverage the 12-pin connector on the back of the radio to get an AUX input? Are there any adapters that won't require me splicing wires into power cables and stuff? Some step by step instructions on what to buy and how to hook it up would be greatly appreciated!
redseed

Re: Want to hard wire an AUX device?

Post by redseed »

Great, helpful thread!
I have a D3, and have ordered a PAC AUX-BOX (only suitable adaptor I could find). Not much AUX-BOX talk on here. Will that contain all I need? Some guys are mentioning wiring harnesses? Also, does the AUX-BOX have that volume booster switch? Thanks so much!