MOD: Horn beeps on keyless entry remote lock/unlock

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
GMJAP

MOD: Horn beeps on keyless entry remote lock/unlock

Post by GMJAP »

Now, I know many of you are quite happy that the Vibe doesn't make a peep when using the keyless entry remote to lock/unlock it. However, I've always missed the audio confirmation, particularly when locking it. I'm usually walking away from it when locking (so I don't see the lights flash), and often only the driver's door is unlocked, so there's not much of a click to hear. I've come back to it in parking lots several times only to find it unlocked (oops). Also, the other day after I installed this mod I heard it make the "unlock" beep in the driveway as I took my keys out of my pocket in the kitchen. Before, I would've never known I accidently hit it.Essentially what I did was add a circuit that monitors the flasher relay, and gives 1 short beep when it blinks for lock, and 2 short beeps when it blinks for unlock when using the keyless remote. It will not beep when using the hazard lights or turn signals, nor when locking or unlocking using the door switches.If a door is open and lock is pressed, it won't beep so you know something's open (hatch!). (This is because it doesn't blink on lock when a door is open).The downside is the beeps are delayed about half a second or so from after the button is pressed, because it has to wait to see if the blinkers are being flashed once (lock) or twice (unlock). I set it up so it can be disabled without uninstalling it, or set up to only beep on lock (no beeps on unlock). I was planning on using it just in lock beep mode after testing it for a few days, but hearing it unlock when I took my keys out of my pocket has given me second thoughts.The circuit uses a simple microcontroller to monitor the signal to the flasher relay to figure out if it's being sent a lock flash, an unlock flash, or none of the above. To beep the horn, it briefly grounds the horn relay.Since the circuit is more complex than the usual mod, and requires tools for programming a microcontroller, I'm not sure a full how-to discussion is really appropriate here (and might put a lot of you to sleep.) However, for you do-it-yourself'ers I plan on- Following this up with a posting on the details of the flasher relay signals, and getting access to the horn relay signal. (In a day or two)- If you are intersted in details of the module circuitry, IM me (or post) and I'll be happy to answer any questions.- I have enough extra parts to make a few modules, and am thinking of selling them at the cost of the parts, $18, + shipping for anyone that's interested in adding this feature to their Vibe. The installation requires connecting to 2 wires of the flasher relay, and the horn relay wire. I'll include T-Slices (or T-Taps) which just clip around the wires with no soldering or wire cutting. IM me if you're interested.-------- NO MORE KITS AVAILABLE AS OF 8/11/2009 --------This is a clip of the mod "in action" - lock followed by unlock:(the puny Vibe horn sounds extra crappy in this clip)http://forums.genvibe.com/zerofile/9110/Beeps.WMVAnd this is a pic of the module: (The blue jumpers are used to disable it, or set it up to only beep on lock).

Attached files Beeps.WMV (254.9 KB) 
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: MOD: Horn beeps on keyless entry remote lock/unlock (GMJAP)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Now, that is a great mod! My wife's RAV4 has that audible lock indicator and I've always wondered how it could be done for the Vibe.I don't have the skills/tools to program a microprocessor, so I'll be opting for a hand-manufactured set. I'll IM you later, GMJAP.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Here's info for anyone interested. Apologies for the crappy photo quality. The wife was out with the "good" camera when I did the install. Anyway here's some info on the flasher relay and horn.The flasher relay is found behind the compartment to the left of the steering wheel. Pull up on the drawer when slightly open to pop it out. Note that the flasher "relay" is actually an electronic module that's more than just a relay. The connector is below it (see picture). Press in the tab and pull down to remove the connector.The two wires of importance that I used are White/Black, which is ground, and Yellow/Black, which is used for the lock/unlock flash signals from the MFAM (Multi Function Alarm Module) and the hazard blinker button.The Ye/Bk wire is normally at 12v. The hazard switch connects it to ground continuously when pressed, and the flasher relay does the blinking by itself.However, the MFAM pulses the wire to ground once for lock, and twice for unlock, at the timing given next to the picture below. The easiest place to get access to the horn relay signal is in a wire in the bundle coming down the steering column. It's fairly easy to remove the trim on the bottom of the steering column. There are three screws (see pic below) to remove. Then, grasp the trim from in the hole for the tilt adjustment lever and pull it down to pop it apart and pull it off.(NOTE!!!! - be careful messing with the steering column wires, as the control line to the airbag is in this bundle. Be sure you have the correct wire, and don't unplug any of the connectors. Best yet, disconnect battery negative while working.)The problem here is that the horn signal wire is Green/Yellow, but the cruise control wire is in the same bundle and is also Gn/Ye. How to tell them apart? Well, the 2 of them connect into the steering wheel coil via a connector circled in the bottom right pic, along with a brown wire. The first green/yellow wire is the Horn, the one in the middle (next to the brown wire) is cruise. On mine, the yellow stripes were different widths, so I was able to tell which was which further down in the bundle by the stripe.To sound the horn, connect the Ge/Ye wire (normally at 12v) to ground. This turns on the horn relay and sounds the horn. The pic shows a T-tap being put on the horn relay wire.Hope some of you find this useful.

Attached files
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

post for pic 2

Attached files
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

post for pic 3

Attached files
binary

Post by binary »

Bump this thread - great modification and how to.I'd purchase one of these!
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Shameless *Bump*I've still got a few of these if anyone would like to add confirming beeps to the keyless entry.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

wow awesome! sad thing is i understand all that circuit stuff hahhah being geeky rules. Are they still $18 + shipping?
GMJAP

Re: (northvibe)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »wow awesome! sad thing is i understand all that circuit stuff hahhah being geeky rules. Are they still $18 + shipping?EDIT Actually, might as well make this a clearance sale - $20 including shipping. Being geeky means more mods for the Vibe!
joatmon

Re: (GMJAP)

Post by joatmon »

imho this thread is more evidence why http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=23186 is warranted
Shiznit

Post by Shiznit »

Do you have more info on the actual programming of the controller and such. I might just be up for taking one of your "kits" off your hands though.
GMJAP

Re: (Shiznit)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by Shiznit »Do you have more info on the actual programming of the controller and such. I might just be up for taking one of your "kits" off your hands though.I can email you a schematic and the hex file to be programmed into the microcontroller if you want.The microcontroller is a Microchip PIC10F200. You would need either a PICkit 2 programmer or their MPLAB software and another programmer like ICD2.http://www.microchip.com/stell...23805
Shiznit

Post by Shiznit »

Hmm...well to be honest I think the programming will be beyond me. Do you still have any of them lying around? Is there private messages on here so I can give you my email?
GMJAP

Re: (Shiznit)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by Shiznit »Hmm...well to be honest I think the programming will be beyond me. Do you still have any of them lying around? Is there private messages on here so I can give you my email?I got your original IM and replied to it - do you have a popup blocker on? Anyway, I still have one full kit left.
MNMSGALL

Post by MNMSGALL »

Do you still have any of these?Thanks
GMJAP

Re: MOD: Horn beeps on keyless entry remote lock/unlock (MNMSGALL)

Post by GMJAP »

Still have 1. IMed you.
MNMSGALL

Post by MNMSGALL »

sorry, didn't get the IM....can you email me?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

okay computer fixing took over my weekend....damn you windows!, but i think next weekend ill be able to throw this sucker in and ill make a little write up of it as i was going to wire some switches for the jumpers. thanks again GMJAP
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

grr i got this installed but, i have no horn on lock/unlock. When i lock the car no lights blink, but when i unlock they blink twice.Now after initial install when i put the negative battery terminal back on the battery the car beeped, but after that what is above is all it does EDIT: ha it wouldnt blink on lock because my door was open... so my car does everything normal just no horn The only difference between my wire and gmjap's is that his brown on the steering column was my white/black. Then there were the two green/yellow. GMJAP you have a PM
MNMSGALL

Post by MNMSGALL »

I had the exact same problem when I first got mine wired up. After thrashing up my garage a bit, I took a look again, and found that one of my wires was loose, so I actually lengthened the wires GMJAP sent and used different splicers on the flasher relay end, and voila....it worked perfect, and has for about 2 weeks now. I will admit, the wires on the flasher harness were the biggest pain in the @## that I have ever encountered! No slack whatsoever by the manufacturer. Anyway, maybe give that a shot....Also, I ended up taking off the vent/trim above to get easier access to the whole flasher relay area.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (MNMSGALL)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I had the same initial results when I first installed mine (no horn on lock/unlock), but the lights flashed. Turned out that one of my taps came loose.You're right about the limited work space and slack to the flasher...PITA. The only wierd side-effect now is that the horns will beep quickly when I press the Hazard switch.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

northvibe- responded to your PM.As the other guys mentioned, make sure the T-Taps are crimped tightly around the wires, and check that the lug is pushed all the way onto the T-Tap. They need some elbow grease to get all the way on, but then they should cover most of the T-Tap end. My picture in part 5 of the install instructions isn't very good 'cause it doesn't show it all the way on. Since it beeps when you connect the battery, the problem is likely the yellow wire connection.Zuben- Hmmmm..... it shouldn't beep when you press the hazard button. Does it always do that? I'll have to look at it at the meet.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well it only beeped that one time, it never has beeped again when putting the battery terminal on. So idk tomorrow Ill take a look again, maybe take off my whole freakin dash cuz yea there is no work space! stupid yota my dad is a electrician and he even looked at it and doesnt know what would be wrong, all the t clamps are very tight and the plug is snug on them :s?
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »well it only beeped that one time, it never has beeped again when putting the battery terminal on. So idk tomorrow Ill take a look again, maybe take off my whole freakin dash cuz yea there is no work space! stupid yota my dad is a electrician and he even looked at it and doesnt know what would be wrong, all the t clamps are very tight and the plug is snug on them :s?Make sure you try it first with both the jumpers in. After you have the on/off jumper out for a few minutes, it should beep when you put the jumper back on. If it doesn't, check the white and green wires.Edited - had a brain fart. The top of the board isn't plated, only the bottom, so the test has to be done by shorting one jumper pin to another:PS- you can check white and green wire connectivety by removing the on/off jumper and using a wire, bent up paper clip, or something else conductive to short the jumper pin above "IN=ON" to the pin on the other jumper above "IN=L&U". My 'visual aid':Try both of these tests & see what you get.

Attached files
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »Make sure you try it first with both the jumpers in. After you have the on/off jumper out for a few minutes, it should beep when you put the jumper back on. If it doesn't, check the white and green wires.PS- you can check white and green wire connectivety by removing the on/off jumper and using a wire, paper clip, or something else conductive to short the jumper pins to the metal on the circuit board beneath them. This should make the horn honk as long as you short it. If it doesn't, then either the green or white wires aren't making good connection.so have the jumper pins touching the metal of the green and white wires on the bottom?
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »so have the jumper pins touching the metal of the green and white wires on the bottom?See previous edited post
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well i jumpedthose two pins and nothing, so ill go check the white and green wire t clamps to make sure they cut through the plastic coating..
sillycrazywild

Post by sillycrazywild »

GMJAP, do you have any more of those kits available for purchase?
sillycrazywild

Post by sillycrazywild »

nm
RIT

Post by RIT »

I am also interested in a kit. Let me know, and i will paypal the money.
GMJAP

Re: MOD: Horn beeps on keyless entry remote lock/unlock (RIT)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by RIT »I am also interested in a kit. Let me know, and i will paypal the money.RIT, thanks for the interest. I'm out of kits at the moment, but may have more after the end of October.
new05vibeowner

Re: (The Geebs)

Post by new05vibeowner »

Add me to the list! Thanks!
Mods: 04 center armrest, 04 Matrix AM/FM/CD/Cassette, Electrochromatic rear view mirror w/compass, GM hood protector, Ventvisors on doors and moonroof, one-touch close moonroof. added 12v outlet in console, Goodyear TripleTred tires, Sirius satellite radio.
GMJAP

Re: (new05vibeowner)

Post by GMJAP »

I'm ordering parts for new kits. When I get some together I'll contact everyone.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

I've got kits in stock again! If interested, IM me!
NCVIBEOWNER

Post by NCVIBEOWNER »

Do you still have kits? My only concern is disconnecting the Negative terminal of the battery. I have the XM radio with the Moon and Tunes option and if it looses power, the radio security code will have to be reset and it has to be done by a GM Dealer who charges a lot for the service.I have added a pair of Fiamm Freeway Blaster horn and I kept the origional horn for a third note. It sounds great. (Pages 4 and 5 "Tech Info & Do-It-Yourself Info » Horn Installation Walk Through")
GMJAP

Re: (NCVIBEOWNER)

Post by GMJAP »

Still have kits for $20 inc. shipping.The Vibe radios don't have any kind of theftlock on them, unlike most GM radios. Have you had problem with this in the Vibe before? (Is it specific to the XM receiver?)
NCVIBEOWNER

Post by NCVIBEOWNER »

This anti theft code does apply to the XM radio. There is reference to this in the manual and the GM service dealer told me that if the battery is discharged or disconnected that the dealer has to get a specific code and proceedure for the specific radio and then they need approxametly an hour or more to install the code before the radio will work again.When I installed the GM Aux in for the radio, the Stereo installer was aware of this and as a result he made sure that the radio was not disconnected from the +12 volt power source.On one of the Genvibe threads I remember reading about one owner who discovered this the hard way and had to go through the above process.
GMJAP

Re: (NCVIBEOWNER)

Post by GMJAP »

The other option, then, would be to remove the fuses for the circuits related to installing the kit. There isn't any need to remove the radio fuse. I'd have to look up the specific fuses in the service manual later.
WD0AFQ

Post by WD0AFQ »

GMJAP, if I give you my email address would you send me your address so I can order one of the beepers? I hate having to look back and seeing if my lights blink.Dan
Dan GreggDexter, Mo.03 GThttp://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
GMJAP

Re: (WD0AFQ)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by WD0AFQ »GMJAP, if I give you my email address would you send me your address so I can order one of the beepers? I hate having to look back and seeing if my lights blink.DanSent you an IMAlso, the fuses you'd want to pull are HORN and GAUGE.
XRTIM

Post by XRTIM »

IMed
GMJAP

Re: (XRTIM)

Post by GMJAP »

----- SOLD OUT! -----
LedFootin

Post by LedFootin »

How soon do you think you can get more of these made up or where cam I get one of these? I have got to do this mod!
Platinum '06 GT: F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch w/10lb. Flywheel, Magnaflow Cat Back, Typhoon SRI, TRD Strut Bar, TRD Sway Bar Set, Eleminated Moon Roof Soft Stop, Horn Lock Conformation, Color Matched Key Hole Covers, Rear Bumper Protector, Debadged.
OttawaNeptune

Re: (LedFootin')

Post by OttawaNeptune »

Quote, originally posted by LedFootin’ »How soon do you think you can get more of these made up or where cam I get one of these? I have got to do this mod!Seconded! My life (or just vibe...) is not complete without this!
'07 Base Neptune - 5spd w/ Power Package, Blaupunkt Stereo, beep on keyless entry.'92 Ford Probe
RIT

Re: (OttawaNeptune)

Post by RIT »

Mine still works perfect. Don't hesitate to buy this product.
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Does anyone else sell this-- or when will you get these back in stock? I wonder how this will sound with Twin Hellas?
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
mlbecknell

Post by mlbecknell »

ya i would like one of these kits also
GMJAP

Re: (mlbecknell)

Post by GMJAP »

New kits available I have more kits available for sale now. They are still $20 including shipping to the continental U.S. ($21.65 with sales tax if you're in TX) Payment is via PayPal.I've attached the installation instructions if you're curious before you buy. IM me if you have any questions, or if you'd like to get one.

Attached files KeylessBeepInstall.pdf (216.4 KB) 
HARMLESSV8

Post by HARMLESSV8 »

like to get one but i live in canada would you send up this way my postal # T1P-1L6 let me know
kunkstyle

Re: (HARMLESSV8)

Post by kunkstyle »

Hey! A strathmore resident!GMJAP, you've got IM.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.