Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
AppleBoy69

Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key?

Post by AppleBoy69 »

Hey Everyone,Getting a remote car started / security alarm installed into my 05 Vibe. I was told by the place that according to their book that the Vibe has to have the extra key permently left beside the ingnition in the steering colum so it can read the micro chip in the key. From what I know a vibe doesn't have a security key.Anyone know anything about this???? The guy checked in his "book" and this is what it was telling him. He said the only other car that you have to leave the key in is a BMW you can't by pass the security keys. Very odd. I may end up just going an getting a key made and see if it will start cause if it does obvously his book is wrong and then he can give me a better discount!Im putting in an Autostart costing me 499$ w/life time warrenty on product and installation.
dave9382

Post by dave9382 »

he might just be bsing you is he saying its goign to "cost more" because of this chip? There is no chip in the vibe key ive gotten several copies made of it of the cheap 2 dollar cut variety and they work fine.
Mase

Re: Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key? (AppleBoy69)

Post by Mase »

I'd double check. I'm not positive about the Vibe, but 05 and 06 Corolla/Matrix have the security keys. I remember one 05 Corolla owner who got remote start and it didn't work because of the stock ignition immobilizer.
Mavrik

Re: Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key? (Mase)

Post by Mavrik »

well some auto start devices require a key in a "secondary" ignition to deactivate the car's security if someone was trying to start it without the key. Which clearly an autostart does. I know with Subaru Legacy and Tribeca... the third key is required. Maybe the new Vibes are the same way. I've certainly come across this before.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
djb383

Post by djb383 »

I cut the black plastic off of my key with a pocket knife so it would take less room in my pocket. It works fine. There ain't no stinking chip in the key.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Mavrik

Re: Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key? (djb383)

Post by Mavrik »

Sounds like the autostart place doesn't know what they are talking about then.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Toolman

Re: Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key? (Mavrik)

Post by Toolman »

My GTO has an immobilizer in the ignition, you have to keep one of the keys in the car in a box and have an immobilizer unit.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
mcgusto82

Re: Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key? (Toolman)

Post by mcgusto82 »

the matrix 05 and up have the chip. vibes have yet yo come with this option.his book is wrong. save yourself some money, and get a copy done, take it to the guy and show him. look, no chip!
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

1. There are several cars (not just BMW's) that need to have a chipped key left in the car, the Vibe, as of yet, is not one of them.2. Older Pontiacs used Passkey II I believe, which read resistance off the key (Grand Ams), bypassable without a key.I suggest you tell him to do the install without the piece.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
meistees

Post by meistees »

I got copy of my 04 key for about $1 and didnt have any chip.. at a little hardware store and it works fine
Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
miked

Post by miked »

They are screwing with you, I've got an 05 with a remote starter, and no extra key was needed. Go to an other place, they don't know what they are doing there.I also bought an extra key at Home Depot, and the key work great.So screw himMike
'05 Moonstone, 5 Spd sunroof, power pkg, 16'' mags
AppleBoy69

Re: Car Starter in 05 Vibe require a extra key? (miked)

Post by AppleBoy69 »

Thanks guys!I told them it didn't.But the book they looked at said it did, and im gonna make a copy just incase i lock my self out.This is how they make u think u are getting a deal cause the by pass thing is work 69$ so they said u need it but they will trow it in free!(removed) HOLES eh!
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Look at it this way. They checked the book (which was wrong) but that would have been better? Them try and do it right? Or install it and not have it work. I say they did their customer service job properly, wanting to install this correctly so it would work. Even if the book was wrong... they followed what they had.
AppleBoy69

Post by AppleBoy69 »

Got a key made!Works perfect!There book is wrong!
russ257

Re: (AppleBoy69)

Post by russ257 »

yeah they said the same thing when i got my starter installed. I got out my copied key and was like nope dont need that
'03 VIBE AWDPioneer AVIC-N1MOMO 6.5" componets in frontMOMO 6.5" speakers in rearJL e6450 six channel ampJL 12" w3 subAlpine 120W amp powering the sub
Herb

Post by Herb »

I remember when I bought my 03 GT the sales guy told me there was a chip, but when I made a cheap copy to put in my wallet incase I lock myself out, I found that I had no problem starting my Vibe.Of course I never did cut a copy for my work vehicle and I got locked out of it last month...
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header