ScanGauge is in

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ZubenElGenubi

Re: ScanGauge II - Pics (ColonelPanic)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I've been messing with different locations for the ScanGauge.. I LOVE THIS THING, but it's gonna make me have an accident if I'm not careful.I've had it temporarily mounted on the steering column just below the instrument cluster. The camera angle isn't quite right; it actually doesn't cover the speedometer that much. The bad part is I have to reach around or through the steering wheel to change the display.This will also fit in the storage bin to the left of the dash (yep; it's that small). Where do y'all think I should mount it?

Attached files
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Augh I need one! Grr...I like it on top of the steering wheel, but I see your point in hitting the buttons. It'd probably be best if you kept to button pressing when stopped.If you're going to frequently be looking at the thing, i'd keep it there, and just try to keep your hands to yourself. Putting it in the cubby might have better finger access, but you're taking your eyes further off the road.Hm... can you put it above your shifter? In that little area under the power outlets? I have my voltage meter there currently..though it may not be high enough to hold that display..
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by Jahntassa »Hm... can you put it above your shifter? In that little area under the power outlets? I have my voltage meter there currently..though it may not be high enough to hold that display..Could be...I got plenty of velcro to go around! I wonder if it'll block the 12VDC and 110AC outlet. Will let you know.(I even tried it on top of the rear view mirror...just don't know if I want to mess with routing the cable around the headliner and pillar.)
Mrizzle05

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

Idea:What about the lil compartment on the left of the steering wheel?*i think it looks fine where you have zuben
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by Mrizzle05 »Idea:What about the lil compartment on the left of the steering wheel?*i think it looks fine where you have zuben Yep, it'll fit in the compartment, but is not easy to see (steering wheel blocks the view).I tried the area above the shifter, but it doesn't mount well on the curved plastic.I'm leaving it above the steering wheel. Now I just have to reroute the cable to make it look clean.Speaking of clean, my car needs a wash badly....
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Cool, you already thought about my above-the-mirror installation idea. Is the cord long enough to reach?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Cool, you already thought about my above-the-mirror installation idea. Is the cord long enough to reach?Yep; it's like 8' long. I routed the cord under the driver's side dash, through the center console and up to the rear view mirror. I think there would be enough cable to go up the inside of the dash to the pillar and then across the front of the headliner. But, dang, that's a lot of work!I'm just now beginning my first calibrated tankful. I'll let you know how the numbers turn out.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

How about up by the light sensor?
ColonelPanic

Re: (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good idea, but wouldn't that cause malfunctions with the automatic light control? Oh, wait a minute... lol!

Image Image
jwalcik

Re: ScanGauge II - Pics (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by jwalcik »

Quote, originally posted by ZubenElGenubi »I've been messing with different locations for the ScanGauge..will the scangauge II fit in the gap below a single din aftermarket headunit? i can go out and measure the opening if somebody's willing to check. if it could be attached (velcro or some sort of bracket) in the front edge of that opening, it would be visible, and the controls would be within reach.
2005 vibe gt
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (joatmon)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »How about up by the light sensor?I'm sure that would work, but it might put the gauge too far away to be easily readable or accessible. Also would put it in direct sunlight a lot.Quote, originally posted by jwalcik »will the scangauge II fit in the gap below a single din aftermarket headunit?It very well might. The dimensions of the ScanGauge II are only 4.8" x 1.5" x 1" (WxHxD). If you have a single DIN HU, this would be a perfect place to put the SG.
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

BTW, here are some more photos of the ScanGauge from their website:http://www.scangauge.com/photos.htmThey say there that the cord is only six feet long (not 8 feet like I said earlier...heck, whatdoIknow?).
jwalcik

Post by jwalcik »

Quote, originally posted by ZubenElGenubi »It very well might. The dimensions of the ScanGauge II are only 4.8" x 1.5" x 1" (WxHxD). If you have a single DIN HU, this would be a perfect place to put the SG.looks like it would take some work. the gap between the bottom of my head unit and the edge of the dash trim is 1.7", but the actual opening for the little cubby hole built into mounting kit is only 1.1" tall (width is 6.5"). hmm... if i can get a replacement from crutchfield on the cheap i might have to break out the dremel if/when i pick up a scangauge...
2005 vibe gt
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Very nice ZubenElGenubi, it fits alot better than the older boxy version like mine. While on vacation I used my ScanGauge to monitor everything from the pasenger seat while the wife drives. Noticed that the Vibe temp gauge does not change at all from 175 to 215 the needle stays in the exact same spot. I wonder how hot the engine has to get before the needle moves any higher?
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: ScanGauge II - Pics (JohnC)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »Noticed that the Vibe temp gauge does not change at all from 175 to 215 the needle stays in the exact same spot. I wonder how hot the engine has to get before the needle moves any higher? Interesting observation, JC. I'll monitor that on mine and see if I see similar results. My water temp tends to max at 190ºF (not bad for Houston right now).
RePo

Re: ScanGauge II - Pics

Post by RePo »

Wow, this very thread drove me to order one. It just came in! I had no problem deciding where to mount it. I think my speedo reads too low, I'm going to go out and prove it now.

Attached files
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
Mrizzle05

Re: ScanGauge II - Pics (RePo)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

how much are these nifty lil things agian... couldnt see it here?
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
RePo

Post by RePo »

The new version II is $165 shipped. The previous discontinued version was $129 new and can be found used for 1/2 that.
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code
Mrizzle05

Re: (RePo)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

ok thanks... i might look into that
ZubenElGenubi

Re: ScanGauge II - Pics (RePo)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

My speed is about 1-2% off as well. If I were taller, I might have considered mounting the SC II above the cluster.
slvrvibes

Post by slvrvibes »

I like where you currently have it at, because it keeps it somewhat hidden. Too bad that the trip reset button happens to end up right behind it.
genvibe garage
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Here's my latest ScanGauge install... Stealth mode. (Since I can't afford the new one, and I didn't really have any other place for the old one. ) I still love this little gizmo and couldn't keep this thing sitting around any longer not being used. I have plenty of room in the glove box for it and all my other junk, so there it is, all velcroed down so it doesn't move around when closing the thing. Obviously the intention here is geared more toward fuel economy logging slash casual observation then closing the glove box than it is monitoring the car's hardware continuously in realtime. ...Since I don't feel much like riding around with the glove box open all the time and it is a bit far away.I look forward to tracking my mileage with this thing. I'm already doing that myself, but uhh, I guess I need a computer to help me with it too. The gauges have been interesting. I went to do laundry today and was installing this in the parking lot while I waited, had it idling and the A/C running since it was mid 90's. The intake air temp reached 150 degrees! Yow! As far as the temperature gauge thing goes like JohnC posted, my Vibe did the same thing, and the Accent is also doing the same. The gauge on this one doesn't move from full cold until it hits 150 degrees, then by 180 it is in its normal reading which is the "almost halfway" (pic) point similar to what the Vibe did. But the highest I've seen so far is around 204 and the gauge still hadn't moved from that point.In contrast, I recall a couple mid to late 90's GM cars I had that had temperature gauges that actually moved as the engine heated up. It freaked me out, seeing the gauge inch up as I was stuck in traffic or the like, then they would always drop when getting back up to speed. I had always thought something was wrong with those cars and their cooling systems, but nope, the gauges were just being honest. I guess they're making these not move to keep people from wiggin' out that their car is getting hot...

Image Image
srogers

Post by srogers »

OK, my installation is on a Matrix. Same deal though.I have removed the original radio and installed an aftermarket, so I have this pocket underneath the radio that is unused. The pocket is too small to accept the ScanGaugeII directly. Here is what I did. I got some of that styrofoam that is squishy and that can be carved. I made a set of two "mounting fingers" (carved a little oversize with a bread knife) that would go into the slot and be held with friction. I then took a Dremel Tool and carved up some thin plastic from a CD case into squares for the ends of the fingers. You must glue this plastic to the styrofoam fingers on the ends so you can get the mounting velcro to stick to the fingers. Any thin smooth plastic that you can cut will do. Use ProBond polyurethane glue because it will stick like hell and will foam into the pores of the styrofoam for a good grip between the plastic and the styrofoam.Then I removed the radio and adapter and I drilled a hole in the back of the adapter's pocket to accept the ScanGaugeII cable from BEHIND the dash and into the pocket from the back. I used WeedWhacker trimmer line to snake the cable from the ODBII connector to the radio opening in the dash (with the radio removed). I used a single wire tie in back of the radio to make sure that the cable was tight and would not droop iaround the pedals. Be sure to leave just enough slack for your tech to be able to unhook the ScanGuageII and hook his own scanner up.Then reinstall the radio, pulling the cable through the hole drilled in the back of the pocket. Next lash it all up, connecting the cable to the back of the ScanGaugeII and then push in the fingers in either side of the cable and fix velcro to hold it in. It looks like a part of the dash and the cable is nowhere in sight. And the gauge works like wonders.I used the hook and loop type velcro supplied with the gauge, but I will later use the agressive mounting stuff with tiny little plastic grippers you can get from Radio Shack. The Velcro allows a little wiggle, but that RS stuff will not. I was just testing the mounting concept.For those who have large differences in their gas usages compared with the tank when doing calibration, be sure that you have setup your engine's displacement in the gauge. My calibration was only off by about 2%.
srogers

Post by srogers »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »Very nice ZubenElGenubi, it fits alot better than the older boxy version like mine. While on vacation I used my ScanGauge to monitor everything from the pasenger seat while the wife drives. Noticed that the Vibe temp gauge does not change at all from 175 to 215 the needle stays in the exact same spot. I wonder how hot the engine has to get before the needle moves any higher? My last car befor I got my Matrix was a Volvo 240. I had a 1978 which told the true water temperature. In about 1985 Volvo came out with a kit they called a temperature compensation kit that was some discrete logic that would modify the temp signal to the temp gauge to move the needle to mid range when the temperature was between a preset min and max setting. This was to prevent owners from freaking out when their engines got a little hotter than usual when using AC and such.Of course, these kits had their own problems, but they became standard in 240 series Volvos after about 1985. When they fail the cause the temp gauge to go banannas. Now, from Volvo specialty houses, you can get bypass kits for the failed temp compensation boards that allow the temp gauge to show the correct temp.I'm sure that the same "temp compensation" is being applied digitally in the Vibes and Matrixes.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Has anybody came out to the car and found your ScanGauge on? I noticed that a long time ago with the Vibe but forgot all about it until it happened tonight in the Accent... Very strange, in the Vibe, it had a tendency to turn on the second I opened one of the doors. But not every time by any means, and it could never be duplicated. It fired right up to whatever mode it was previously in, almost like it was told to turn on.Tonight, I noticed as I approached my Accent, I hit the unlock button and saw the orange glow from the console where it lit up. Opened the door and it turned off for a split second and turned back on. Uh, ok! That's pretty cool, now if it would do that every time. That would actually be pretty handy to use to monitor voltage and stuff when you're parked and listening to the radio or whatever. But it seemed like it didn't want to turn off, I waited 30 seconds or so I had to resort to unplugging it. It probably would have turned off had I started the engine and shut it off, but I chose not as I was just getting stuff out of the car...I never knew it until I had the ScanGauge for a while that pressing home when the ignition is off will turn it on for a while (but will turn back off after 10 seconds or so) if the engine is not running. Either my home button is flaky and it is getting "pressed" (or thinking it is getting pressed) at the exact times I've been approaching/entering these cars or something somewhere is telling the thing to turn on at these times.Crazy stuff, anybody else noticed this? Probably not. Might be something peculiar to my ScanGauge.

Image Image
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I've used the "home" button a few times when the car was off to check Air Intake temperature and voltage. I can't recall seeing the SC2 on before I start the car, though.
meistees

Re: ScanGauge is in

Post by meistees »

Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
ColonelPanic

Re: ScanGauge is in (meistees)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Nice looking install. Good match with the stereo illumination. Looking good! How are you liking it?

Image Image
meistees

Re: ScanGauge is in (ColonelPanic)

Post by meistees »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »Nice looking install. Good match with the stereo illumination. Looking good! How are you liking it?I was looking for one with animated display and such but I love all the features it has.. and it was one of the easiest installs I've had to do
Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
joatmon

Re: ScanGauge is in

Post by joatmon »

I had gone for a while without the scangauge connected, hooked it back up a little while ago, and am surprised at the effect it had. here is some MPG dataread in three columnsmiles gallons mpg359 10.43 34.34383 10.83 35.34320 09.43 33.93399 11.20 35.61393 11.59 33.86 Hooked up scangauge at this fillup, then438 11.60 37.78461 12.11 38.07408 10.56 38.65These are consecutive fillups, a marked improvement once I hooked it back up. The last three tanks in a row at consistently better mpgs reduces the effect of variance on each single fillup. Miles are measured using the car trip meter, and the # gallons on the pump. I can't think how just hooking up the tool would affect either the trip meter accuracy or the engine performance, so I guess just having that thing in trip mode showing current mpgs must make me more aware of driving habits, helping me drive more efficiently. Perhaps hooking it up accidentally concided with my usual gas station switch from less efficient winter fuel, but I don't know if they switched, and if so, when.On mine, in trip computer mode, the miles seem to track pretty accurately with the car odometer, but I have to adjust the fillup calibration to about 5 % to get gallons to be accurate.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

If anyone is interested, here's a really sweet looking mount for your ScanGauge II... I happened to run across this so I figured I'd share.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVWVery clean install with that thing.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

SG II owners: Just thought I'd share this. I just discovered that they've added new gauges to choose from... If the car is capable of displaying them. (link)Requires a firmware update if you bought yours before July of last year ($25 charge.) It lets you see stuff like an instant horsepower readout, output from oxygen sensors, even a cost per mile reading. It seems to have tons of other stuff that won't work on the Vibe but will work on other cars (like oil life reading on true GM vehicles, trans temp., air/fuel ratio, all kinds of stuff.)Here's a PDF of what it it can now do: http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf

Image Image
Kamikaze

Re: Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Kamikaze »

I've got the new one with X gauge, it does the cost per mile reading which is kind of cool. My friend asked how much I wanted for gas for driving down and back to the cities last night... I was able to tell him exactly how much gas we used, and how much it costed me!Just one of the many features!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
altimar

Scangauge II groupbuy

Post by altimar »

If anyone else is interested in getting a Scangauge II, I've looked all over and they sell for $160 EVERYWHERE. Except for a group buy at cleanMPG.com forum. They are getting them for $149.95. http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums...10448They're just starting a 6th group buy. Click the "Buy Now" button on the left side.Man, I can't resist tech toys...
2007 Vibe: Wave monotone, Auto, sun & sound
Kamikaze

Re: Scangauge II groupbuy (altimar)

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by altimar »group buy at cleanMPG.com forum. They are getting them for $149.95. http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums...10448They're just starting a 6th group buy. Click the "Buy Now" button on the left side.This is where I got mine... quick transaction, quick shipping, very happy with the outcome.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
ProtonXX

Re: Scangauge II groupbuy (Kamikaze)

Post by ProtonXX »

I was hoping to get some numbers for my mods by going by the fuel trim & HP numbers.However I dont know how does fuel trim(both long term & short term) on the Xgauge work. Does a +3 means the fuel is getting trimmed 3%? Or is the lower numbers better?. Also is this number permanent trim based on the fuel map or does it slowly works it way to 0?
moongdss

Re: Scangauge II groupbuy (ProtonXX)

Post by moongdss »

okay, I need some help with my scangauge settings and need to know what you guys have yours set at. I'm a bit confused about the fuel cutoff being set at '24'. I'm under the impression that my 06 base Vibe does not have injector cutoff... am I mistaken? With the 24 setting, anytime I'm coasting in gear (I have an automatic but sometimes coast in Neutral) the MPG goes to 9999.99, which the booklet says is indicating the injectors are cutoff... So confused! Can you guys give me a bit of scangauge/vibe engine 101?
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

where's the best place to get one of these??
djb383

Re: Scangauge II groupbuy (moongdss)

Post by djb383 »

Highest momentary mpg I've seen is 203 mpg steep downhill, foot lifted but I have the original model, not the Scan Gauge II. I usually have it set to display volts, mpg, intake air temp and coolant temp. Pretty cool how you can move it from one vehicle to the next.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
ColonelPanic

Re: Scangauge II groupbuy (moongdss)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Sadly, I still don't have the SGII yet. But I saw this discussed on cleanmpg.com I think it was. The general consensus seems to be get your TPS reading at idle and add one to that for the number to plug in for the cutoff. I can't remember what the Vibe's lowest reading was, the car I have now bottoms out at 6 for the TPS reading without the accelerator being pushed down, so I would want to use 7. Of course I can't test that since mine doesn't have that feature. waveaction, http://www.scangauge.com is one place, Amazon I think is another. cleanmpg.com does group buys at a discounted rate as well.

Image Image
moongdss

Re: Scangauge II groupbuy (ColonelPanic)

Post by moongdss »

ah! My TPS has read at ~16 idle I shall give this a try
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
ron_estacio

Re: ScanGauge is in (djb383)

Post by ron_estacio »

I figured this is a better thread to tell my little install story (since I have a Frosty '05 base)Drove from San Diego to Berkeley and picked up a Scangauge from one of the vendors on the scangauge website (fyi, Dirty Parts). I did the install when I filled up in the middle of nowhere on the I-5...see the photo set for more detailed photos...pretty simple setup. The OBDII port is right underneath the hood release... snaked the cable through to the tray (and decided it looked better just below the speedometer)And to answer my own question about software setup from another thread...Tank Size: 13gal (I checked the Owner's Manual)Engine: 1.8L (again, Owner's Manual)Trip Gauges: XGauge commands 00 and 01 (Scangauge Manual)Backlight/Color: low/3 RedI also had to replace a headlight on my trip, but that's another trivial story...