Adding factory Cruise control

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
pinemeadowfarm

Adding factory Cruise control

Post by pinemeadowfarm »

I just got an OEM cruise control lever from a junked 05 Vibe. My plan is to pull the steering wheel and install it soon. I am hoping that is all I need to make this work..... Does anyone have more info on adding the cruise control option? Thanks A few days later.....Worked out smooth!I got all the info I needed from previouse posts.. all I really had to do was pay attention to removal and installation of the Air bag in the steering wheel, the stalk plugged right in and the whole job only took 20 min. (not counting the test drive )So to confirm if you have an 05 Vibe Base with the drive by wire throttle you can add CC by just installing the stalk and under wheel shell!I'm thinking the heated seats will be my next Mod!
05 Base, FrostyAdditions/Mods:OEM CC,
joatmon

Re: Adding factory Cruise control (pinemeadowfarm)

Post by joatmon »

I don't know myself, only pointing out a previous post but in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=18305 Abyss AWD says if you have an 05 with the drive by wire throttle, all you need is the switch. You might want to IM or email him for clarification
DavesVibe06

Re: Adding factory Cruise control (joatmon)

Post by DavesVibe06 »

I just wanted to add to this thread to let everyone know that I too have been sucessful with adding the OEM cruise to my Vibe. I'll walk through the steps for everyone (like me) who was looking for more info on how complicated the install is and what is needed. Hope this is helpful:1) Based on what I've been able to find, this install will work with any drive by wire (electronic throttle) Vibe. I have an '06, 5-speed base model and had no issues.2) You will need: The Switch - ACDELCO Part #D1919E (got mine at http://www.rockauto.com for $35.00 shipped) They don't have them in stock and it will take about 3 weeks to get. (2) # 8 X 1/2" long machine screws. A set of Torx bits for your socket wrench (actually, you only need one, I think's a 25, but you might as well get a set, as every important bolt on the Vibe is a torx.) Something to cut a hole in the steering wheel shroud. I used a fine tooth scroll saw blade. It would have probably been a little cleaner with a dremel tool ("Honey... we need to go to Home Depot!").3) Ok, now that you've got all your tools & parts, you're ready to start. First, remove the negative battery cable from the batter post. SAFETY ALERT - It is extremely important to disconnect the negative battery cable! Now wait at least 15 minutes before doing anything else (have a beer... or two, but not three). If not, you're going to be working around a charged airbag. Trust me, you don't want to get smacked in the face with a bag of air traveling 200 mph!4) Locate the two torx (star) bolts on either side of the steering wheel (approx. 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock). Unscrew them. You will probably find it a pain in the A** to actually get the bolts out of the shroud, they snap into the shroud. I found it easier to pry back the shroud a little and dislodge them from the back (this will make more sense when you're actually doing it). 5) With the bolts out, the airbag piece of the steering wheel should lift right out. At this point, it's still attached with a short wired connection. You don't have to disconnect this, just leave it connected and gently place the whole thing on top of the column.6) Locate the two mounting holes that match the switch you have in the lower right area of the alumnium plate in front of you. If you're a purist, you can dig out your #8 -32 tap, and tap threads in both holes. I had stainless screws, so I just ran the screws in and out of the alumnium. Worked fine.7) Cut a hole in the shroud. This is a little tricky. The hole needs to be centered between the two mounting screws. I cut a rectangular hole about 1.25" x 7/8". The hole only needs to be big enough to fit the cruise stick through, with a little wiggle room to move the stick up/down/back. It took me a few test fits to get it right.8) Install the cruise switch. Mount it to the steering wheel with the 2 screws. Test the up/down/back positioning. Make sure the stick isn't rubbing and has enough room to move freely. Remove the green grounding wire from the plug connection next to where the airbag is attached. You can remove this piece completely. It grounds the circut, telling the computer that cruise is not present in the car. Plug in the cruise switch.9) Carefuly re-install the airbag with the two torx screws. Re-connect the negative battery cable and test drive. Hint- If the switch is installed properly, the cruise light on the dash will be lit when the on/off button on the cruise stick is depressed. Be sure to also test the horn (to make sure none of the wiring got pinched during the install. 10) Enjoy your new $35.00 dollar cruise control (an $850 value, considering cruise is only offered with the complete power package).9)
joatmon

Re: Adding factory Cruise control (DavesVibe06)

Post by joatmon »

Hey Dave, Nice post, and welcome to genvibe
DeathByMisAdventure

Post by DeathByMisAdventure »

Is the steering column prewired for cruise? and this will work on my standard shift 05 ? If so, SWEET!!
binary

Re: (DeathByMisAdventure)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by DeathByMisAdventure »Is the steering column prewired for cruise? and this will work on my standard shift 05 ? If so, SWEET!!Yep...All 05-new vibes are wired for Cruise control - the only difference between those with and without cruise is that they are missing the $35 switch.Glad mine was part of a extra's group... or i'd feel really shafted.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

What a great mod! I like mods like this, that is when the wiring or logic is already in place! I recently tried to add a trans temp sensor like on the export model to one of my other cars but the connector was not there... Oh well, you win some and lose some.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

too bad the 03-04 vibes did not have this luxury to add cruise at a later time....Cost me $500 for aftermarket. Well worth it thought to me...
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Wow Dave!Thats just about the Best First post Ever! Thanks!
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jake75

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by jake75 »

Again - GM leaves $$$ on the table. They could sell a ton of "cruise control" options at an easy $100 for their cost of a $10 switch plus perhaps $10 in labor for the 6 minutes it would take to add it on the line. Better yet, they could add value by making cruise standard. Add this to the $$$ they could make by offering optional upgraded tires and maybe they could increase their dividend.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Sheather

Post by Sheather »

Does anyone have a picture of what the steering wheel shroud should look like after it is cut? Preferably a pic of one that had cruise control stock. It doesn't have to have anything removed, just a view of what it looks like in the car would be fine. This would give some idea of what it should look like after adding it.
06Moonstone

Post by 06Moonstone »

I added the lever, and the cruise control works very nicely. Unfortunately, the horn is now not working. No wires were disconnected (except for the green ground wire, as instructed).Any ideas / suggestions / similar experiences would be appreciated - thanks!
DeathByMisAdventure

Re: (06Moonstone)

Post by DeathByMisAdventure »

I think I am gonn check and see how much a stock plastic shroud (for the vibes with cruise) is before I cut into mine. I bet there not very expencive.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Dave, This sounds great. I know this is an older topic, but I just bought my '06 two weeks ago. Can I make this mod with the steering wheel still on the car? When I bought my car, I thought I could live without cruise. I was wrong.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
melders

Re: Adding factory Cruise control (K-NINE)

Post by melders »

i got the dealer to install my cruise when i bought my car
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Jet Black Metallic
satire

Post by satire »

Does anyone have pictures of this mod completed or even of their oem cruise so I have an idea of where this sucker mounts? Also has anyone had any luck getting the shroud with the precut hole for cruise from GM?
stempert

Re: Adding factory Cruise control (melders)

Post by stempert »

I have an '05 Vibe with A/T and AWD. I just tried installing the factory switch and it does not work. The CC light does not appear on the dash and the horn also does not work.Anyone have any suggestions?
satire

Post by satire »

Installed it tonight, cruise works great but no horn. Checked the fuses and triple checked wires and installation. I'm fairly certain that there is something else we are missing on the installation. Is it possible that ground wire is really for the horn and normally connected elsewhere when factory cruise is installed?
mariagwyn

Post by mariagwyn »

I realize this is an old thread, but I could use some clarification. I have a 2006 Toyota Matrix Automatic, presumably built in U.S. (bought here...). I am assuming that I simply need to install the stalk on my steering wheel. However, I am confused by the instructions here. It seems like I need ONE part, the cruise control stalk (Toyote quoted around $110US for the part - #8463002041). However, the instructions above references a SWITCH, $35, AC Delco D1919E. On other forums, I have seen the Rostra 250-1768 part mentioned.Are these the same or different parts? I would like to install CC myself (actually, my local dealer says that Toyota doesn't even install CC!!!), but I want to make sure I have the right part, and the wild price differences and lack of pictures make me a little concerned that I will order the wrong piece.Thanks!!!
j1afk

Post by j1afk »

Any trouble with airbag or getting steering wheel offj1
KNINE

Re: Adding factory Cruise control (j1afk)

Post by KNINE »

The airbag is easy to remove. Disconnect the ground wire on the battery first. A previous Viber recommended that you wait 15 minutes before messing with the air bag assembly. I did! Remove the two gold colored screws on the back side of the steering wheel. I think I remember them being star bit heads. Gently pull the air bag assembly straight toward you. There is no need to disconnect the air bag. There is enough slack in the wire harness to lay the air bag assembly on to of the steering wheel. There is no need to remove the steering wheel if all you are doing is installing the cruise control stalk.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
vibe05

Post by vibe05 »

I also successfully installed cruise control on my 2005 base 5 speed Vibe. I wanted to clarify that you need a T30 torx to get the airbag screw undone. Also, the green wire is needed to have your horn work. Check this out for pics and descriptions of the install from a matrix forum.http://matrixowners.com/index....71247
2005 Pontiac VibePlatinum 5 speed baseAdd ons:Husky cargo linerCruise control
Cindragon

Post by Cindragon »

just a quick update on this, the part is now $43.79 + tax.....I'm ordering one today and telling my husband he has to read this and install it
Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics....Even if you win, you're still retarded
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by DavesVibe06 »3) ... SAFETY ALERT - It is extremely important to disconnect the negative battery cable! Now wait at least 15 minutes before doing anything else (have a beer... or two, but not three). If not, you're going to be working around a charged airbag. Trust me, you don't want to get smacked in the face with a bag of air traveling 200 mph!Now the way to save yourself the 15mins (and a bottle of beer, especially for those of us that don't like beer) is to touch the + and - battery terminals together for 30 secs. This will also discharge the capacitors/charge in the system and you are safe to disconnect.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon » ... all you need is the switch. Is this also true of 5-sp cars? Will the current clutch start/disable switch also deactivate the cruise control when its depressed, or is a new or separate switch required?If so, does anyone have the correct part number for it? The Toyota part number on the Matrix site does not seem to come up....
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
kc6yot

Re: Adding factory Cruise control

Post by kc6yot »

Thanks to all for this topic and all the others related to Cruise Control. 2006 Base with 5 speed manual. Works just as everyone says. Ordered the AC Delco Part D1919E (ACD#84630-02041 / GM 88974274.) Also the green wire is for the horn, not sure who miss stated it was a ground to tell the computer there is no Cruise Control, so please note, green wire is the ground for the horn relay and has to be moved into the new plug in module in the same spot it was in on the old module. My wife's 2006 moon and tune had cruse control so I just made a paper pattern to cut out the hole on mine. Drilled holes in the four corners and made the straight cut with a dremel tool with a cutting wheel. I affirm the airbag bolts are T30. Was not any harder than changing the oil and filters. I would give it 1.5 stars for difficulty on a scale of 5 stars as the hardest to do. Fixed the radio lights in the wife's car, water leak in the daughters and now I have cruise control and high console lid on my Vibe thanks to this site. Thanks again to all for all the info! :D
kc6yot

Re:

Post by kc6yot »

06Moonstone wrote:I added the lever, and the cruise control works very nicely. Unfortunately, the horn is now not working. No wires were disconnected (except for the green ground wire, as instructed).Any ideas / suggestions / similar experiences would be appreciated - thanks!
PLEASE, Please stop telling people to remove or cut the green wire, that is the horn relay ground, if your new switch does not come with the green wire, move it to your new plug in the same position and all will be good. 2005 to 2008 this will work on the Vibe auto or manual, can not say that for the Matrix, not sure all the switches were installed as the Japanese are over excited to removing stuff to save money. Sorry, 2004/04 Vibe owners, you are not drive by wire and the cruise control has a lot of manual stuff that needs to be done.

Also the center console plug, seems to be wired in all the 2005 to 2008.

DO NOT CUT THE GREEN WIRE, WHO EVER TOLD EVERYONE THAT WIRE IS A GROUND TO TELL THE COMPUTER THERE IS NO CRUISE CONTROL NEEDS TO HAVE HIS NUTTS CUT. DON'T DO IT MOVE IT TO THE NEW PLUG!!!!!
c918

Post by c918 »

$3.99 at the junkyard, plug and play....BOO YAA!!!!!
Fever

Post by Fever »

Part on order for this mod / upgrade. :)
'07Vibe '13FR-S '99Ranger
Fever

Post by Fever »

Looking for some advice here.
2007 5M, no power group.
Got the part installed, all went according to what I've read here.
Green wire moved to the new plug, everything fit well.
Switched the cruise on, indicator light comes on the dash, horn works, I'm feeling good.

Test drive her and the cruise won't set. It apparently turns on by all indication with the dash light coming on. But won't set.

Could this be a defective unit? Is there something else needing to be done? Any hints?
Fever
Fever

Post by Fever »

Interesting find.
After researching on TN Matrix forum, I found that they have to also install the clutch trigger switch for the factory cc system to work. So I get under the dash again (checked fuses earlier, what a pia fusebox that is) and found a nut locked bolt where the switch should be. No switch, no worky.

I also found an unused two wire harness that I'm presuming is for the clutch switch. One solid blue wire, one red/white stripe wire. Would anyone be able to confirm the wire colours for me?

This is an '07 Vibe base, 5M, no power group unit. So if you want to do this mod, make sure to check for the clutch switch before ordering.

Also I noticed how the cc switch stalk in the FR-S is the exact same unit for the Vibe/Matrix. Not surprising really.
Fever
trb

Post by trb »

Fever wrote:I also found an unused two wire harness that I'm presuming is for the clutch switch. One solid blue wire, one red/white stripe wire. Would anyone be able to confirm the wire colours for me?
According to the cruise control wiring diagram in my Chilton manual, yes, that is the clutch switch. If your FR-S is a manual, it probably has the same clutch switch, I'll bet. Looks like a normally closed switch, so you could just put in a jumper wire between the two wires - paper clip - and test it out.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Fever

Post by Fever »

trb wrote:
Fever wrote:I also found an unused two wire harness that I'm presuming is for the clutch switch. One solid blue wire, one red/white stripe wire. Would anyone be able to confirm the wire colours for me?
According to the cruise control wiring diagram in my Chilton manual, yes, that is the clutch switch. If your FR-S is a manual, it probably has the same clutch switch, I'll bet. Looks like a normally closed switch, so you could just put in a jumper wire between the two wires - paper clip - and test it out.
Thanks for checking that trb; a jumper wire was also suggested on TN, so I went ahead and tried it out.
Cruise turns on, steady 80km/hr 4th gear, set the cruise, it works! About five seconds later. it loses the setting and I start to coast. Did this three times on the way to buddies house. Damn.

While there I removed the -ve battery terminal long enough I think (ten mins) to reset things. On the way home cruise turns on but won't set at all. Now I'm confused.

Going to remove the jumper and debating whether to order the switch or not. Probably check fuses again while I'm under there.
This is getting weird.
Fever
Fever

Post by Fever »

Update.
Removed the jumper since last post and didn't mess with anything until the clutch release switch arrived. Fuses were fine.
Received the acdelco unit from rockauto and installed it. Pretty tight working up there, have to remove the dead bolt first then easy enough to line the switch up with the pedal.
Test drive was all good. Different speeds and gears (5M), cancel and resume, all good. Oh yeah.

So if you want to do this mod, make sure you have the clutch release switch before ordering the control switch. Saves time and anguish :?
trb

Post by trb »

Great! Glad you figured it out. I think most of the people that have added cruise to their car have had automatics. You might even be the first on here to add it to a manual Vibe.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Fever

Post by Fever »

trb wrote:Great! Glad you figured it out. I think most of the people that have added cruise to their car have had automatics. You might even be the first on here to add it to a manual Vibe.
Thanks trb; well it proves that it can be done for the manual tranny folks. Kind of disappointed I didn't think of the clutch release beforehand, but all's well now.
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

Just did it today here are some pics.

Also for the 5 speed manual you will need part # NS151 Standard Motor Products. I got mine for $15 shipped on ebay. Don't buy either switch off Rockauto unless you want to pay/wait 3X.

Steering wheel with cruise in bottom right.

Hole cut for stem. I used a drill and razor blade.

The airbag out. Bottom right is where the stalk goes.

The Clutch Pedal release thing installed.

Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
DanJo

Post by DanJo »

Just installed a CC on my 2006 Base Manual this morning. Tapped the screws; part that took the longest for me, was cutting the actual hole in the schroud. All in all pretty easy. I’m only out $5.50 (junk yard find) for the stick and about 45 minutes of labor. Test drive went fine. I didn’t run into the issue that some manual driver had of the cruise cutting out and other issues. Don’t know if I’ll need to get that other part or not. Thanks be to this forum, Dave, and a YouTube video or two.

One kinda weird thing I have noticed. I’ve disconnected the negative battery terminal twice to mess with cruise control stuff, and after each time the clock reset but I didn’t lose any radio presets (figured they would have wiped) and it has idled really low for a little while after. Anyone else notice anything like this?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

DanJo wrote:....I didn’t run into the issue that some manual driver had of the cruise cutting out and other issues.

One kinda weird thing I have noticed. I’ve disconnected the negative battery terminal twice to mess with cruise control stuff, and after each time the clock reset but I didn’t lose any radio presets (figured they would have wiped) and it has idled really low for a little while after. Anyone else notice anything like this?
03 and 04 used a mechanical throttle so the cruise control system is completely different. You have nothing to worry about.

No comment on radio presets.

The engine idles like crap for about 60 miles after you reconnect the battery as the ECU relearns the fuel trim. Totally normal.
2009 Vibe Base
pGVa

Post by pGVa »

So for my 2005 Manual Transmission Vibe, I will need the AC Delco part (# D1919E) PLUS the switch by Standard Motor Products (NS151)?
Soulmanvibe

Post by Soulmanvibe »

I know this is a really old thread but I saw it and decided to add cruise to my '06 Vibe. I got the part off a Vibe in the scrapyard for $10.00 CDN. Like everyone in this thread said, it was simple to take out of the scrap car and install it on mine. The most difficult part was cutting the hole for the module stalk - but even that only took a drill and a sharp knife to cut the plastic. It took me maybe 10 minutes at most. The part I got included the wire for the horn on the plug. I had to remove the plug with the green wire to plug the module in. The module had a white wire in place of the green wire. The horn works anyway! So does cruise! I wish I had done it sooner!